Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KateGamer80 wrote:
How do people think this game stacks up to Eldritch Horror and Mansions of Madness in terms of narrative? I think it might be the strongest one so far (admittedly I could be jumping the gun). But in Eldritch Horror the story seems kind of disjointed. It doesn't all come together too tightly. (Still love the game).

For narrative?
Arkham Horror LCG > Arkham Horror (board game) > Elder Sign > Eldritch Horror
(Haven't played Mansions)

For most fun at my table, a personal opinion saga:
Arkham Horror (board game) > Arkham Horror LCG > Eldritch Horror > Elder Sign

I have Mythos Tales in the mail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KateGamer80 wrote:
Also, kind of off topic, but as anyone played Mythos Tales?

I have, or I should say 'we' have as a group played the first episode. I have to say we all enjoyed it immensely and nobody wants us to play the second episode without everyone here. It is very, very good if you are into narrative experiences which we are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. Mansions of Madness 2 - really immersive, really only one with good storyline/narrative during a play session
2. Arkham Horror Card Game - some good moments during session, but most of the narrative happens between scenarios during campaing mode.
3. Eldritch Horror - it is just a collection of random quests and encounters. Doesn't really have any cohesive narrative. Nonetheless very enjoyable game.

4. Elder Sign - well, played it twice, got bored quickly. Not a good game at all, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kandolin
Finland
Lempäälä
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all of them and would rank them as follows :

1. Mythos Tales
2. Mansions of Madness 2nd edition
3. Arkham Horror
4. Arkham Horror lcg (I really dislike the game in general so far though!)
5. Eldritch Horror
6. Elder Sign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fiona Furlong
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
My ranking goes like this (based solely on the games I've played):

1. Mansions of Madness: as each story is complete in of itself

2. Arkham LCG: The story is fleshed complete through the campaign structure; however the mechanics are very noticeable(ok really only the clues, which feel very disconnected, unless you make sure to read out the flavor text when you finish a room)

3. Eldritch: The Strength of the story is mostly in the flavor text, and if your like me and play with all of the expansions it gets a bit muddy when you drawing snake people cards during an Antarctic expedition (or at least facing an Old One from that box)

4. Arkham the Boardgame: While the locations have stories the whole doesn't feel as bound together as Eldritch; however the expansion that added in the character quests and the connection cards that go into affect with specific players effects make the characters feel more real than in Eldritch, but less developed than their counter parts in the LCG.

5. Elder Sign: Played the App version; the dice in my opinion, kill the narrative much harder than the clues in the AHLCG, and while these all use the Arkham Files cast, in Elder Sign, they feel like powers rather than characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Knight
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Of the ones I've played:

1. Arkham Horror
2. Arkham Horror LCG
3. Eldritch Horror
4. Elder Sign

Could see the LCG potentially taking number 1 over time. We'll have to see!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Fuqua
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. Mansions of Madness 2e
2. Mythos Tales
3. Eldritch Horror
4. Arkham Horror
6. Arkham Horror: The Card Game
7. Elder Sign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't got the card game yet and I don't have Eldritch, but I have the others. I like them all. Elder Sign has been my quick fix though, and this may change when the card game arrives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition
I understand why people are against the APP, but it creates an experience that you would need many decks of cards and fiddly rules to replace it. So the APP helps create a sense of exploration and investigation. It also helps minimize set up and makes for a quicker game. You get to focus on the game, not the rules. The added sound effects and music help enhance the atmosphere. Very thematic. Feels truly like you are investigating a mystery. Hopefully the scenarios get a little deeper and better.

2. Mythos Tales (not FFG, but you asked)
Just finished the 4th story. VERY easy to get into and plays fast. I like to play it with a cup of coffee or a snifter of brandy to really get in the mood. I will definitely be picking up the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective games that this one is based on.

3. Eldritch Horror
I much prefer the theme of Arkham Horror, but the Mythos phase is cumbersome and fiddly. Eldritch Horror isn't a shorter game, but the Mythos phase is streamlined which means I spend almost all my time playing my Heroes turns instead of spending a third of my time playing the AI. I've always like the "expedition" aspect of the Mythos, and Eldritch Horror handles that perfectly. Yes, it burdens the player with weaving the narrative, but it's there if you put the work into it.

4. Elder Sign + Gates of Arkham
Disliked Edler Sign. Randomly roll dice. Run around a musuem. Yawn. Gates of Arkham completely redesigned this game. Now you are in Arkham. You have no idea what awaits you at a location, but the cards are color coded so you know how bad things might be. But the location cards give you a bonus for going there, so you get tempted. With added ways to manipulate the dice rolls, it becomes a very strategic game. This is Arkham Horror the dice game the way it should have been. If you haven't played Gates of Arkham, you haven't played Elder Sign the way it should have been played.

5. Arkham Horror
Still calls out to me. So many expansions. Each one adds a new rule mechanic to deepen the game, or to bloat the rules, depends on how you look at it. Wonderfully thematic. The story is even more all over the place, takes a lot more work to weave a coherent tale. But it's there. It's fun. The fact that FFG is still reprinting the game and it's expansions says something. But it's that Mythos phase that really gums up the works. Move this monster, but not taht one. Is there a monster in the Flying box? How many are in the outskirts? Just fiddly.

6. Call of Cthulhu LCG
yes it's competitive and not very thematic. But it's very good for what it does (competitive LCG with a Mythos theme). It stands apart from other CCG's/LCG's for what it delivers.

Sorry, I have my copy of Arkham Horror LCG, just haven't played it yet.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Fuqua
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The only reason I'd put 'Arkham Horror' above 'Elder Sign' with the 'Gates of Arkham' expansion is with 'Arkham Horror' you have the board which gives you a better feel for the city. Also there's more expansions that can be added on. 'Gates of Arkham' really is where everyone should start playing 'Elder Sign'. It's the way it should have first come out. The expansion, as many people have said, makes it into "Arkham Horror Lite". One other thing about the board game is how investigators can be pushed out into the street and then be attacked by flying monsters. Besides these tiny things I'm pointing out, I completely agree with Jorune list and points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Call of cthulhu rpg's
Arkham Horror

Everything else...goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You think that's air you're breathing?
badge
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant That We Should voyage far.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:
Call of cthulhu rpg's
Arkham Horror

Everything else...goo

Yes!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In comparison to Eldritch and Mansions, by far Arkham Horror the Card Game. With characters that gain and carry benefits and scars as tokens to remind them of previous adventures, ooh yeah no doubt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition
- really thematic, immersive. Looks beautiful (once you paint and re-base the minis) and the app handles book-keeping so well.

Elder Sign
- yeah, it's light, and you need to put a bit of work in to get best of the flavour, but it offers an alternative to the multi-hour experience of one of the epics.

Mythos Tales
- thematic, a definite improvement on Sherlock Holmes consulting Detective (which is clearly where they got the mechanic

Pandemic: Cthulhu (again not FFG, but it is Lovecraft)
- really interesting twist on the Pandemic Theme. I like the increased risk/reward aspect, with the powerful characters who backfire when they go mad.

Arkham LCG
- great potential, but feels very limited right now (I only have 1 core). Sure it will improve as the card-pool grows, making all characters viable for solo, and offering real deck-building choices. Would expect to find this much higher in 6 months time.

Call of Cthulhu LCG
- Nostalgia makes me want to put this higher, and I really liked the basic mechanics, the mixture of killing opponents, driving them insane, and actually being able to investigate at the end of it. That said, it was just too much of a mash-up thematically, and impossible to find opponents.

Eldritch Horror
-only have the base game, and after 3 plays we're getting tired of seeing some of the cards come up over and over again - feels like it really needs multiple expansions. It also feels fiddly a lot of the time- it really makes me appreciate the app in Mansions 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some of the answers are not considering, which mythos game is a better narrative experience, but rather answers 'what is your favorite mythos game'.

From a narrative point of view, I like MoM 2nd best, then AH:tcg, then AH, then Elder Signs. I have not the other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, narratively I think MoM and AH LCG will always be top, probably trading off depending on the actual scenarios. The other three games (AH, EH, and ES) are all a bit more disjointed in a narrative flow because they have very random encounters. I'd probably rank those as Arkham Horror, Elder Signs, then Eldritch Horror for narrative, but that too can depend on the expansion scenario. Sometimes Elder Signs would rank higher, or the right build could make Arkham Horror really narratively thematic. As much as I like Eldritch Horror, it is probably the least narrative of the lot.

Mythos Tales, not by FFG, is extremely narrative - I mean, it's a game based on reading and deduction of the text you read. It's just not FFG, and pretty much once you go through the story once, there isn't much left to do for replayability.

Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu is about as narrative as regular Pandemic. Which is to say it's a game designed to be good and replayed, but you're not specifically playing it to tell a story more detailed than, "I'm trying to save the world from evil viruses Cthulhu!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By far I prefer: Eldritch Horror with Eldritch Horror: Forsaken Lore small expansion.

Why?

- Contrary to what others said here: it has a very good story line depending on the Elder you play. The cards show an incredible interaction that STILL lead to a wide open replayability and hangs close to the Big bad Boss you are trying to beat. It has a strategic strength unseen in other Lovecraft games which leads to endless replayability with more expansions.

- It simply has the best rulebook of ANY FFG game. And to no surprise EH invented the Rule Reference Book which showed the designers wanted to get rid of the initial mess in AH rules. It is also the less fiddly of all Lovecraft games.

- My guess is that many remarks on EH show a clear ignorance of knowledge about the game due to being squeezed between old hardcore AH collectors and the "new kids in town" MoM2 and the Arkham LCG. "New" is always more shiny I guess as ... is nostalgia of collecting AH over 10 years.

But MoM2 is very sterile and boils down to shuffling miniatures on a board while constantly looking at a tablet to make the constant combat "work". It is and feels like a far too narrow dungeon crawler without the finesse of the human player controlled MoM1 which was really a smart Lovecraft RPG in disguise. Games in the Lovecraft universe should be about Lovecraft Lore, not "smashing monsters in..." ... MoM2 merit is that it includes miniatures.

Replace the miniatures of MoM2 with tokens and you will notice how poorly the game mechanics and sterile AI and interactions compare to the strategic and open world options of an Eldritch Horror game. In other Lovecraft games you beat up monsters, in EH you may ignore them all... and go for some other adventure/missions (not that this would lead to an easy victory).

As for Arkham LCG it is too early to tell, I think it lacks the incredible innovation of LOTR LCG introduced some 8 years ago and it also trails behind the Star Wars LCG in tense play mechanics.

Arkham LCG certainly has some excellent RPG and adventure elements, but future expansions will let us know if it is more entagled with the bleak monster bashing of MoM2 or IF it could drift to open world play like in EH or the LOTR LCG.

Elder Sign is a great dice rolling game with an excellent theme too btw. I hate it being called Yathzee. It is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:
By far I prefer: Eldritch Horror with Eldritch Horror: Forsaken Lore small expansion.

Why?

- Contrary to what others said here: it has a very good story line depending on the Elder you play. The cards show an incredible interaction that STILL lead to a wide open replayability and hangs close to the Big bad Boss you are trying to beat. It has a strategic strength unseen in other Lovecraft games which leads to endless replayability with more expansions.

- It simply has the best rulebook of ANY FFG game. And to no surprise EH invented the Rule Reference Book which showed the designers wanted to get rid of the initial mess in AH rules. It is also the less fiddly of all Lovecraft games.

- My guess is that many remarks on EH show a clear ignorance of knowledge about the game due to being squeezed between old hardcore AH collectors and the "new kids in town" MoM2 and the Arkham LCG. "New" is always more shiny I guess as ... is nostalgia of collecting AH over 10 years.

But MoM2 is very sterile and boils down to shuffling miniatures on a board while constantly looking at a tablet to make the constant combat "work". It is and feels like a far too narrow dungeon crawler without the finesse of the human player controlled MoM1 which was really a smart Lovecraft RPG in disguise. Games in the Lovecraft universe should be about Lovecraft Lore, not "smashing monsters in..." ... MoM2 merit is that it includes miniatures.

Replace the miniatures of MoM2 with tokens and you will notice how poorly the game mechanics and sterile AI and interactions compare to the strategic and open world options of an Eldritch Horror game. In other Lovecraft games you beat up monsters, in EH you may ignore them all... and go for some other adventure/missions (not that this would lead to an easy victory).

As for Arkham LCG it is too early to tell, I think it lacks the incredible innovation of LOTR LCG introduced some 8 years ago and it also trails behind the Star Wars LCG in tense play mechanics.

Arkham LCG certainly has some excellent RPG and adventure elements, but future expansions will let us know if it is more entagled with the bleak monster bashing of MoM2 or IF it could drift to open world play like in EH or the LOTR LCG.

Elder Sign is a great dice rolling game with an excellent theme too btw. I hate it being called Yathzee. It is not.

Are you sure that you that yuo actually played MoM2 and AH:LCG ?

Mansions of Madness - Monster bashing, how you got that impression? There are 4 scenarios in the game. Only 1st scenario, short and introductory, intr0duces substantial amount enemies. Second has some monster, but is generally about carefull planning of actions. Scenarios 3 and 4 are almost completely monster free. In my opinion game is so much more about exploration and experiencing story than combat. Considering storyline and immersion it os for me the best of all FFG mythos games

AH LCG - it builds on the innovation of LotR adding true campaing mode and making the story main focus of the game. The story is most important part of mythos gmaes, so that's great improvement. And you know, it does it in a great way, I played campaing 5 times and want more. Oh, sorry, you don't know, because you haven't actually played the game... Also how can you compare mechanics to SW LCG, completely different style of a game. This doesn't make any sense.

Eldritch Horrorc - my belowed mythos game. Played it many times, got 4 expansions. I really loved it, great mechanics, great feel of travel and adventure, great character development or destruction. Ability to customise difficulty throught mythos deck. Double sided cards, full of suprises. Everything was great, well, almost everything. The only part that never made much sense to me was mystery system. Complete 3 completely random tasks to stop Ancient One, really? That was always so weak, the lack of cohesive story for the main part of the game. Now, compared to MoM2 and AH LCG and their great storylines, EH looks really bland. I really hope that FFG release and app or physical expansion that add some storyline mechanic for each AO. Because now EH really looks like a game without a story, great mechanics but almost no story at all (At least when compare to the 2 new kids).

It is getting a bit longish, but FFG really did it well and did it right with new shiny kids in town. I really feel it is a new quality for storyline and theme based games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy S.
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm late to the party, but I wanted to add my point of view. I'm an eurogamer who prefers gameplay to theme, but I enjoy a bit of brainless fun from time to time. So...my ranking is as follows:

1- Eldritch Horror: By far the best offering of the bunch. It's like Arkham Horror but faster, with some of the unnecessary steps removed. It has really solid expansions.

2- Elder Sign and Arkham Horror: If it weren't for ES expansions I would have put AH higher. ES improves with expansions, AH gets more convoluted. Both are solid choices, though.

3- Arkham Horror LCG: It's like LOTR, only way worse. It lacks replayability once you know what you have to do. I prefer to have locations as random encounters like in LOTR, and not an adventure on rails.
I dig the idea of creating your deck as you go instead of just grabbing an OP deck and steamrolling. The LOTR way felt like cheating. Nevertheless I consider it a much superior game.

4- Mansions of Madness (1st ed): This is one of the worst games I had the "pleasure" of playing. Broken scenarios, scripted and overlong. The setup is unbearable. NONE of the groups I played the game with liked it one bit. It always bombed and I don't have the desire to play it again. A disastrous game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.