Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Mai-Star» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few noob questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I recently picked this little card game up and have a few questions relating to the rules:

1. When adding cards as guests using a guest's special effects does the Geisha need to have sufficient reputation (in the relevant skill)?

E.g. My Geisha has 9 performance but only 3 Service and 3 Intelligence. If I add Samurai as a guest can I use his power to take a Merchant from an opponent's guest area and add him to my guests (even though I wouldn't have been able to play the Merchant from my own hand as a guest)

2. Am I correct in thinking that the geisha does not have to meet the requirements of an character played as an advertiser? If so, why for the district Kanryou, do the rules state that "their requirement may be applied to any one skill of your choice"?

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct on both points. 1) If the ability says to play a guest, that's an action and you must meet the requirements, but if you're stealing someone else's guest, you do not have to meet the requirements. 2) Advertisers don't care about your abilities, only Guests. As to the Kanryou, since it has no color, I believe this means you can select a color for it if another card would require it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
oldskoolgeek999 wrote:
I recently picked this little card game up and have a few questions relating to the rules:

1. When adding cards as guests using a guest's special effects does the Geisha need to have sufficient reputation (in the relevant skill)?

If I understand your questions correctly, yes, you can. It's only when you PLAY the guest that you need the relevant stats. Also, when stealing a guest, you don't activate its effects.

oldskoolgeek999 wrote:
2. Am I correct in thinking that the geisha does not have to meet the requirements of an character played as an advertiser? If so, why for the district Kanryou, do the rules state that "their requirement may be applied to any one skill of your choice"?

When played as an advertiser, the requirements do not need to be met.

I don't know what the Kanryo does, I think it's maybe that if they require 5 in a skill, they require 5 in ANY skill (of your choice) when played as a guest.

Think of Maistar as UNO with a twist – you're supposed to get rid of your cards, but if you can't get rid of a card (play as guest), you can enhance your ability to get rid of cards (by playing as an advertiser).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks Guys!
It is all clear now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.