Ryan Anthony
Wales
flag msg tools
Can players choose different heroes between missions? If so, what can carry over? Credits? XP? Anything else relating to this question would be helpful!

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There's nothing in the rules to allow this. It's a discussion for the house rules and variants forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Troutman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ChunkyRobot wrote:
Can players choose different heroes between missions? If so, what can carry over? Credits? XP? Anything else relating to this question would be helpful!

Thanks in advance

Nope. The campaign is meant to be a more RPG-like experience, where you level up the same characters over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes are selected during the campaign setup.

If you want to play missions in a one-shot manner (you can select everything independently), there are house-rules to do so. But it will not be easy to learn the best use of each ability and get the most synergy out of the heroes (or the imperial units and class deck) if you just play one-shot missions. So, one-shot missions would be better suited for experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Anthony
Wales
flag msg tools
The reason I ask is the inclusion of more heroes in the big box Expansions, it seems odd to include them if they can't then be played (Twin Shadows being the obvious example where it isn't a large campaign again)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
ChunkyRobot wrote:
The reason I ask is the inclusion of more heroes in the big box Expansions, it seems odd to include them if they can't then be played (Twin Shadows being the obvious example where it isn't a large campaign again)

Of course the new heroes can be played, but they can only be selected during campaign setup. By the rules you would not add anything mid-campaign anyway.

There are several reasons for this, which should become apparent when you go through the campaign setup instructions - you are not just selecting heroes to play, their hero-specific missions are added to the side mission deck, the imperial player selects his class deck and agenda sets when the heroes are known. Changing heroes, the side mission deck, adding deployment cards or agenda sets in the middle of the campaign thus needs house rules. And what if you have already resolved a hero-specific side mission and won its reward and now want to change a hero? Would you give the corresponding reward to the replacement hero (seems awfully unfair), or play the hero's new mission - but you have already different items and class cards (seems unfair), or give some generic reward (what should it be?).

Being a full campaign or mini campaign has nothing to do with it.

The intent is to set up the campaign and then play it through, not changing it in the middle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
ChunkyRobot wrote:

By the same logic, the base game has 6 heroes and you can play at most with 4.

The reason is that you can play the campaign again (or another one) and have a bigger selection of heroes to pick from at first.

That being said... I had a player in my group that didn't like his character very much, I told him I have no problem if he swaps out. After all, the purpose is to have fun.

But it's a house rule, officially, once you picked a character, you stay with it till the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Anthony
Wales
flag msg tools
Thank you all for your swift and clear answers! The BGG community to the rescue again :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Innes Clatworthy
msg tools
I would allow this if, for example a player really hates their character and will stop playing if they can't change but I wouldn't allow it just because somebody wants to try a new character on a whim.

In this case I would give their newly selected character the same amount of XP that has been rewarded so far and allow a free rebel XP upgrade stage where they could purchase their abilities. They would have to make do with any equipment bought so far, no respends on gear.

Any disdvantages from being unfamiliar with the character or having completed the character mission for the discarded character, thereby making the reward useless would have to be borne by the rebels, that is the disadvantage of making late changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
To clarify, a campaign isn't an indefinite thing. There's a set amount of missions (roughly 13), then it's over- and characters don't carry over between campaigns.

So, if you're to start a campaign with 4 heroes, and later a new expansion comes out, it's advisable to finish (or quit, I guess) your current campaign before bring along the new guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.