8 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Night of the Zealot Strategy Guide - Agnes Baker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
Hi Everyone

So after reading alot about how the campaign seems really hard with 1 investigator i thought i would make a strategy guide on each investigator once i have built a deck that i have used to get the R1 ending of the final scenario. I want to stress that i do this with 2 core sets since otherwise the strategy part would only be in the play aspect.

First of here is the deck used from the start of the campaign.

http://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2051

The deck in general tries to keep Agnes well balanced in all stats except strength. The reason for keeping strength out (for example overpower) is that there isnt really any evil strength treacheries, or anything else regarding strength in the campaign. The tactic here often is to mitigate luck by actually keeping away from the chaos bag a lot of the time. This is done by having cards like Lucky, Drawn to the Flame and Look what i Found. For monster handling i have Shriveling, Blinding Light and Forbidden Knowledge. Ward of Protection is so that i can remove the most pesky treacheries. Meanwhile Scrying is absolutely amazing in solo play to plan the encounter deck the next 3 turns. Anything else and you have to ask Now on to the scenarios themselves.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The first scenario is by far the easiest and should give you next to no problems. Just make sure you have enough firepower ready before summoning the ghoul priest. Get at least 6 xp, the easiest way in my opinion is to empty both the attic and the cellar of clues.

After this scenario pick R1 and you should upgrade the 2 blinding light and 1 lucky.

In the second scenario start out by building a good and strong base, and move around to the locations that are linked to more than 1 location. I would recommend getting a Forbidden Knowledge which you can use to kill Acolytes without even using an action. The important thing here is to control the board so it does not get out of control with doom, and then the victory conditions is to at least get the masked hunter, 1 more cultist and at least 1 more xp from either clearing a location or taking 1 more cultist.

After this scenario use the 4+ xp to take a second upgraded lucky and replace 2x(manual dexterity) with 2x(Cunning Distraction)

In the third scenario, you should have decent time. So take it slow and steady, remember after the first agenda advances a monster will spawn at the main path, take that monster out, and once you have the clues make sure you have the recently bought Cunning Distraction ready. When advancing to act 2 use the cunning distraction to get past to the ritual site. Get the clues in the safest way possible from the ritual site. Use the willpower test 2 times and hopefully you will be at this point and victorious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Night of the Zealot Stragegy Guide - Agnes Baker
Hey Jonatan.

Thanks for giving up your time to share this with us.

Agnes is a good choice. Her spells allow her to be a versatile investigator in solo or team play.

The “Look What I Found” and the “Drawn to the Flame” are great ways to get around her low investigation score.

Thanks for adding the spoiler text too.

I look forward to your future tips.

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good tips here. And good note on the cunning distraction for the one scenario. I did something similar with Skids and his card to evade everyone at his location.

One of my favorite thing about the game currently is how different each character plays. With Roland I just blasted everyone. I was actually happy when cultists showed up, because I could put them on un-investigated locations and shoot them for clues
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
One of my favorite thing about the game currently is how different each character plays.

That's something that looks to continue - for example, even without the difference in the way they multiclass, Skids is always looking to gain more Resources to turn them into Actions, while Jenny can take Resources more for granted and use them for expensive cards (and pearls and hats, obviously).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
You have some good thoughts on playing Agnes (in my opinion the least intuitive core investigator, ironically), but I have some questions.

1) Cunning Distraction isn't a card with an XP cost, so doesn't that mean you can't freely swap your manual dexterity x2 for cunning distraction x2?
2) Do you think it's possible to construct an Agnes deck that gets R1 of the campaign without relying on foreknowledge of the scenarios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Escapade wrote:
1) Cunning Distraction isn't a card with an XP cost, so doesn't that mean you can't freely swap your manual dexterity x2 for cunning distraction x2?

Hence the 4+ xp. Two to upgrade Lucky, and one for each Cunning Distraction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
1) Level 0 cards still cost 1 xp so no you cannot just switch it out.
2) That very much depends how well you do in the second scenario.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
If you get 4 cultists you can pull it through in the third scenario without prior knowledge. But without the prior knowledge you would probably not take cunning distraction since it isnt that good in the first 2 scenarios. Therefore with 3 or more cultists alive for that final scenario you will have quite a hard time getting past them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
Ah, got it. Don't mind me, I just malfunctioned slightly for a moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.