12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Game for Family and Kids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Goodwin
msg tools
mbmb
Im looking for a christmas game for the kids, I have a 6 year old and 11 yo. Currently they play the following

Kings of New York
Escape
Monopoly
Monopoly Towers (?)
Pokemon TCG
Uno
Castle Panic

Pokemon is probably the hardest for the 6yo (the straetgy part, she can play the game easily), as you can she is quite capable in the other games of playing strategies (which we have confirmed with school), and has a real knack for understanding quite complex ideas. She plays Uno online and regularly wins at tournaments.

So I am looking for something that has enough strategy and fun, mixed with a little luck to ensure she has chances to win if she learns how to play. Whilst also needing to keep the 11yo engaged and challenged.

She is also a good reader so this doesnt restrict choices

Her favourites are Escape, Kings of New York and Uno. So does anybody have good suggestions for board games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a stocking-stuffer for under $10.00, try IOTA. I consider it a blending of the pattern recognition of SET and with the scoring mechanic of Scrabble.

Also take a look at Between Two Cities. It can be played by 1-7 players.

And check out Evolution: The Beginning. For a deeper experience, go right to Evolution: CLIMATE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redcy wrote:
So I am looking for something that has enough strategy and fun, mixed with a little luck to ensure she has chances to win if she learns how to play. Whilst also needing to keep the 11yo engaged and challenged.

I have a 7 and a 5 year old. A bit younger than what you are asking about, but when I hear the comment above the one game in my collection that seems to fit the bill the most is Jamaica. There is die rolling that adds an element of luck to the game, but you have to play your cards effectively to navigate the board and maximize your turns. Plus, there is a bit of take that with the combat and you are often swapping treasures, which can swing the momentum in the game.

Other games that might work are...

Mechs vs. Minions - It's cooperative so you can work together to help the six year old. It's a bit expensive for you to take a chance on if you are taking a stab in the dark, but it is nothing but fun and will keep their attention because of the incredible quality of the components.

Colt Express - Another programmed movement game like Mechs, and also a lot of fun that is easy to grasp. My seven-year old can play this one just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Curtis
United States
Lalaland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solid stocking-stuffers would be Rat-a-Tat Cat and Monopoly Deal Card Game. They can be grasped by younger children but enjoyed by older kids and adults. Sleeping Queens is another solid title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef Kevin
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
Yes, that's me in the latte!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pingo Pingo
Karuba
Mogel Motte
Abraca...what?
Coconuts
Splendor

Some of our kids favorites (9,7,&5)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Goodwin
msg tools
mbmb
Thankyou for the many replies here. I am going to go research many of these and see how they fit with how I know they like to play games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen L
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Splendor
Jaipur (2 player but fun for kids)
Forbidden Island or Forbidden Desert
Takenoko
Telestrations
Catan Junior
Dixit
Zombie Dice or Martian Dice (we play Zombie Dice for M&Ms )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mav
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbiden Island,
Carcassone (ignore farmers to start)
Takenoko,
Dixit,
Incan Gold,
Qwixx,
Sushi go,
Terror in meeple city,

all worked with mine at those ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi there, my little girl has just turned six and we've been playing the following for the last year mostly without any issues:

The Downfall of Pompeii
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Carcassonne: Over Hill and Dale
Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise
Saboteur
River Dragons
Garden Dice
Birds of a Feather
Karuba
Adventure Land (only the basic level variant so far)
Camel Up (she's getting there with this one)
Kodama: The Tree Spirits (not one of our favs but others love)
Terror in Meeple City(pain to set up mind you so doesn't come out often lol!)

We've just started playing and maybe more appealing to your older one):

Jamaica
Room 25 (with expansion which makes game much better)
Mission: Red Planet (second edition)
Colt Express

We've literally just started these and mostly only played once so still seeing how it goes - we've played jamaica twice now though and this now seems to be fine, just took a while to get her head around the night and day actions.

And she's getting Dream Home and Steam Park for christmas and can't see any reason for not being able to play these.

We play many more simpler games as not fair to always be pushing her but all the ones I've mentioned are the more fun games we play that the adults love too and will play even if no kids so should not be an issue for the older one, there's one or two where some of the more subtle parts of the strategy is not quite there but she doesn't realise so enjoys playing them anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Goodwin
msg tools
mbmb
Just for an update this is what I bought! Eventually giving for xmas

Jamaica
Carcassone (we already started playing this on the tablet)
Crazy Karts
Roll for It
Red7
Forbidden Desert
Hare and Tortoise
Colt Express
Marvel Dice Masters

and i am getting

X Wing Starter Packs
IMperial Assault

Ill let you know how they get on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great choices!

Carcassonne
Jamaica
Red7

Are some of our favourites!

Forbidden Desert is probably really good as well. We played Forbidden Island a lot before eventually selling it.

Next order you should def look into those Karuba suggestions. We just got the game recently and I think we are close to 20 plays.

Make sure you play Red7 with all the rules. There is a great video to watch where the guy keeps saying something like "and now you are winning Red7!", it's pretty funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Goodwin
msg tools
mbmb
Redcy wrote:
Just for an update this is what I bought! Eventually giving for xmas

Jamaica
Carcassone (we already started playing this on the tablet)
Crazy Karts
Roll for It
Red7
Forbidden Desert
Hare and Tortoise
Colt Express
Marvel Dice Masters

and i am getting

X Wing Starter Packs
IMperial Assault

Ill let you know how they get on!

So pretty much everything has gone down great!

Jamaica - We played this altogether and loved it. A bit finnicky at first but by the end everyone had got it
Crazy Karts - Lots of silly fun, can't wait to play with loads of us.
Roll for it and Red7 - Are our two fave games for filling time.
Forbidden desert - great game that we loved playing together.
Hare and Tortoise - Played numerous times and a definite favourite.
Colt Express - Feels like it starts slow, but it soon gets nuts!

Xwing - Great thematic game. Looking forward to adding more to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.