Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i find the mini-cards used to keep track of a character's whereabouts to be an absolute nuisance. Instead, i substitute a pawn or token:

If you need assistance in keeping track of who's acted and who hasn't, turn a pawn/meeple on its side after its character has acted (that doesn't work so well with flat-laying tokens).

If your pawns' colors don't match up unambiguously to character cards, then use color-matching pairs of tokens and pawns: place the token on the character card and the same-colored pawn on the card-space occupied by the character. (That's what i do in Elder Sign, rather than dig through my token box for 5 minutes to find the tiny matching character tokens.)

Some may call this "unthematic," and therefore rule it out outright, but i find fiddling with the mini-cards to be highly distracting (which is, for me, worse than "unthematic").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have Arkham Horror investigator miniatures available on the FFG site for $3.99. We used those when we played a few days ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Homeless105 wrote:
They have Arkham Horror investigator miniatures available on the FFG site for $3.99. We used those when we played a few days ago.

4 USD per mini (not counting international shipping fees) ends up adding 50% to the base game's costs, so it's a non-starter for me, in particular since i'd have to do the same for each new expansion, and then hope that they indeed have minis for all newer characters (as opposed to adding completely new characters for which there are no existing AH minis).

A complete set, while beautiful, costs close to $200 (when available at all):

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror...

With the caveat that "complete" would not include any Investigators which eventually get introduced exclusively in this game (if any).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Cactus
United States
Lexington VA
flag msg tools
I used to be a boardgamer like you, then I took a dice bag to the knee from Tonya Harding
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a shame FFG's minis are potato quality
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BloodyCactus wrote:

They still work beautifully for marking where the investigator is, while adding theme. I am happy with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
whiskemuscles wrote:
BloodyCactus wrote:

They still work beautifully for marking where the investigator is, while adding theme. I am happy with them.

As am I. They sit alongside my crappy painted MoM investigator miniatures quite well! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Jandt
msg tools
mb
One word: Meeples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Pérez Cantalapiedra
Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
Not very fashion, but I use plastic bottle caps as stands for the mini-cards, so that I use them as in Eldritch Horror. I just flip de card to show towards me the side which corresponds when finishing/recovering turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek D
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using the standees from Eldritch Horror, as they use the same investigator artwork. Unfortunately Roland Banks isn't available in Eldritch Horror yet, so I've substituted in Tony Morgan (from the Strange Remnants expansion) who has very similar fashion sense...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I use the cards, but use card standees. Slip them in and they are upright and hold Looks better then pawns or meeples
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two words: Buzz Kill.
ravynlocke wrote:

Meeples would destroy the atmosphere/RPG-like feel
of the game for me shake

I think Ian has the solution that I will adopt, thanks mate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AccidentalCultist wrote:
Two words: Buzz Kill.
ravynlocke wrote:

Meeples would destroy the atmosphere/RPG-like feel
of the game for me shake

Amen - i've got meeples, but they just "don't do it for me" in this game or Elder Sign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
BloodyCactus wrote:

I own them now (at least the core set investigators and a couple others already announced). The pictures don't do them any favors. On the table they looks really good. You don't notice their issues unless you hold them right up to your face. Even then It will be easy to fix the imperfections with a wash and a touch up.

That's a pretty good price for a pre-painted mini so I wasn't expecting much actually. I should have had more faith in FFG considering their other pre-painted stuff looks pretty decent right out of the box/.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish they were more widely available with FFG's ridiculous shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Loftus
United States
Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scourn1 wrote:
I use the cards, but use card standees. Slip them in and they are upright and hold Looks better then pawns or meeples

Link to where you got those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You think that's air you're breathing?
badge
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant That We Should voyage far.
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeloftus wrote:
scourn1 wrote:

Link to where you got those?

I got these..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S1VQTO6/?tag=article-bo...

..but ended up buying the minis from FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sullivan
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just use my mansions of madness figures. Once I finish painting them it will be even better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.