Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John R
United States
Flint
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been contemplating this for a little while now. Using actual NFL/NCAA stats. Haven't tried it yet but it is on my to do list.

Take 2015 NFL season ending statistics. Carolina versus Denver in the Super Bowl using the 2015 win-loss records.
Carolina 15-1 = 14 point advantage
Denver 12-4 = 8 point advantage

Using this formula Carolina would have a 6 point advantage (14-8 points) in the game. You would apply the 6 points at the beginning or end of the game.

This is a very basic but good easy way to determine if one team has an advantage over another team real quickly.

Another example; My beloved/hated Detroit Lions had a 7-9 record last year. That would equate to a 2 point disadvantage for the Lions against their opponent.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. I might round down to the nearest " football " score ignoring safeties
So a point difference if 0-2 is no extra points awarded to the better team.
3-5 would be 3 points awarded to the better team.
So your team bonus could be 0,3,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15, or 16

It doesn't matter when you add the score on. Beginning or ending

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another variation on your system might be thematically better.
In your example Carolina has a 6 point advantage over Denver.

Wha if instead of point those were extra yards that could be added to any play you want. You don't have to use all th points at once. Spend them when needed.

Failed to make a first down by 2 yards. Spend 2 of your 6 points to make a first down.

4 yards shy of making a touchdown? Spend the last 4 points to get your team into the end zone.

Maybe Even allow the points to be spent on defense to decrease the amount yardage that is as suppose to be gained.

So now instead of an inflated score before the game even starts you can you these Extra yardage points to effect the outcome of the game. This simulates the dominance of the stronger team to get those critical yards in a game when needed. Even just starting a game with a 1 extra yard advantage could mean the difference of continuing a drive or three and out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Flint
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is a good idea. Let me ponder on this awhile.
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.