SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: The convicted. Asvisor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
alberto Martínez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ir the convicted is the only advisor that I have, can I use it?

The card says that use it. I have to dismiss this advisor and another one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would say you definitely can (based on the French card which is inambiguous, unless there's a mistranslation).

Basically the restriction doesn't apply when you activate him but at the end of your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The text is an effect, not a cost to play the card. You must act on the text if you can -- but if you don't have a second advisor, then you do as much as you can (by dismissing the Convict).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Tryhard
msg tools
Has anyone ever really used this dude?

When I saw him appear in our very first game, I thought he was too useless as written for that to be all there was to him, and assumed some later spoiler would give him a purpose -- maybe if we acquired cursed advisors of some kind that we would need to find ways to get rid of.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
That didn't happen.

It's true that he's the one guy that a game winner would always be able to keep at the end of a game. But even so, I don't think he's worth the action or the single gold to pick up.

I guess maybe....

If you thought someone was about to raid your crucial Society advisor, and you'd rather see him buried at the bottom of the stack than in someone else's council chamber. But -- much easier to just raid that advisor back again (after which they'd be safe for the rest of the year) than to grind the Guild Hall until they float back to the top and buy them again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I used him in my game 1 to reduce the cost of a building near the end of the game, when I wasn't going to get to use most of my advisors anyway.

Don't expect he'll get much use overall, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Rodriguez
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
I used him once as the first advisor of a game (where I had no other advisor and the rest were also terrible),
and one other time so that when I was forced to give up an advisor, I wouldn't have to give up one that I wanted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another use for the Convict (or other 1-gold advisors) is to have a disposable advisor to dismiss, in case some game effect comes along that requires you to do so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Hexprone wrote:
Has anyone ever really used this dude?

When I saw him appear in our very first game, I thought he was too useless as written for that to be all there was to him, and assumed some later spoiler would give him a purpose -- maybe if we acquired cursed advisors of some kind that we would need to find ways to get rid of.

That didn't happen.

It's true that he's the one guy that a game winner would always be able to keep at the end of a game. But even so, I don't think he's worth the action or the single gold to pick up.

I guess maybe....

If you thought someone was about to raid your crucial Society advisor, and you'd rather see him buried at the bottom of the stack than in someone else's council chamber. But -- much easier to just raid that advisor back again (after which they'd be safe for the rest of the year) than to grind the Guild Hall until they float back to the top and buy them again.

He is rarely useful alone, but I've seen him bought frequently to be used as cannon fodder for events that make you dismiss an advisor or exhaust advisors to gain extra benefits...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't use him to exhaust for other benefits -- because his game text still applies ("When you would exhaust the Convict, instead dismiss him and one other...")

But he is useful as a redshirt.

And (box 5 spoiler)
If you know you have the highest ranked society member, and don't have the gold to ditch a society event, you can dismiss your advisor to avoid being the society's target...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Willottica wrote:
I wouldn't use him to exhaust for other benefits -- because his game text still applies ("When you would exhaust the Convict, instead dismiss him and one other...")

Not true. Despite being a negative power, that text is still an advisor power and is therefore only active when the advisor is active -- just like any other advisor's power.
SeaFall, p6 wrote:
Advisors have a cost in gold (1) OR reputation (2) to hire them, have a power that is in effect while they’re the active advisor (3)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good call. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.