Subject: Solo RPG-alike rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Nicholson
United Kingdom
Newcastle
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey fellow BGGers, I'm looking for a fantasy-themed boardgame with RPG elements that can be played solo with little or no major changes to the rules, and dont require one of those "GM apps" on your phone.

TIA,

Drgnslyr12

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy O
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Legends Untold is currently on Kickstarter and looks interesting.

Ricky Royal has done a couple of solo play through videos with the prototype components if you want to get an idea of the solo experience. I'm not currently a backer but I'm getting tempted

You might also want to ask your question on the 1 Player guild forum - sure you'll get lots of suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Drgnslyr12 wrote:
Hey fellow BGGers, I'm looking for a fantasy-themed boardgame with RPG elements that can be played solo with little or no major changes to the rules, and dont require one of those "GM apps" on your phone.

TIA,

Drgnslyr12

What do you mean with "rpg elements"?

I'm asking because I am not familiar with the term.

I guess it is the progression, customizing your character? Like spending xps to acqire skills?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game can be played solo. I think the rogue in the Rise of the Runelords set is supposed to be good for solo play, as well as all of the characters in the character add-on set (monk, paladin, barbarian, druid).

Edit: I think there are only two changes for solo play.
1. You can play 2 characters instead of 1 if you want.
Quote:
Some cards are particularly difficult in solo play. If your character
can't ever get out of the Treacherous Cave, your scenario will grind
to a halt. When you encounter such a card, remove it from the game
and replace it with another card of the same type that roughly
matches its power level but isn’t quite so impossible to overcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nicholson
United Kingdom
Newcastle
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
K____ wrote:
Drgnslyr12 wrote:

TIA,

Drgnslyr12

I guess it is the progression, customizing your character? Like spending xps to acqire skills?

character progression, customization, yeah.

Think Descent or something like that, but without quite as heavy a solo conversion as the ones requiring a massive card printoff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients is great. Gloomhaven could be good as well (although it isn't out yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nicholson
United Kingdom
Newcastle
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Burning Monkey wrote:
Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients is great. Gloomhaven could be good as well (although it isn't out yet).

Shadows of Brimstone is one that I certainly like the look of, but at £78 it might be a bit pricey to for a solo game to get the OK off the missus.

Gloomhaven looks good, although I'm not so keen on the idea of a legacy game - a set number of playthroughs means a limited number of plays, which isnt particularly appealing to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Drgnslyr12 wrote:
K____ wrote:
Drgnslyr12 wrote:

TIA,

Drgnslyr12

character progression, customization, yeah.

Think Descent or something like that, but without quite as heavy a solo conversion as the ones requiring a massive card printoff.

Since you mention Descent, there are some co-op adventures, print on demand on FFG's website. $15 or so will get you all the cards. You will still have to print the pdf rules + adventure book, 10 pages maybe?
However it is a long game, one adventure is like a mini-campaign in one sitting; I found it can last 3 hours, sometimes more. One is: Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Forgotten Souls

Another game that I like but I find a bit long is Shadowrift. 2 hours or so. I played solo with 2 hands (2 heroes).
The new edition has a pure solo mode (1 hero) but I have not tried that.
The cards you acquire define what class/role you are. It is an odd game, I am not sure what it has can be called "rpg elements".

Speaking of strange. Friday.
It is basically a dungeon crawler; every "hazard" you defeat is put into your deck, and you have acquired a new skill. Only the theme is, well, Robinson Crusoe.

I have high hopes for Arkham Horror: The Card Game, but not played it.

HTH somehow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solitaire and PnP:

Barbarian Prince. fantasy, paragraph styled game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
You could try 4 Against Darkness. Very inexpensive and simple, but pretty fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assault on Doomrock works nicely as a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.