Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Benson
United States
REDMOND
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played RA finally about a year ago an loved it but used copies were out of a range I was willing to play. Got excited about the re-print but after seeing Zee Garcia's comparison between the two versions, I chose not to get the new version and sadly the old version was still out of my price range. Then about a month ago I was in Pasadena, CA and stumbled across a used copy of Priests of RA which I never knew existed. I went onto BGG to look it up and saw it seemed like a simpler version of RA but for the most part the same game. I play a lot of games with my father and weird scoring mechanics would turn him off so I thought this would allow me to get to play a version of RA with simple scoring he understood.

I picked up the game, took it home and opened it up to learn how to play. Read the rules, it seemed similar but rather straight forward and yes, less complicated scoring, no worrying about if you don't have this you lose points and you need the most of this to win points, etc. Great. This should work. I did a full-game solo play-through to make sure I understood it and my thoughts were, eh. Why was this an underwhelming experience?

One thing I thought was interesting about Priests of Ra was having to be aware of the building other players had. Since, if you draw a building tile, you choose which side to flip it to on the auction board, you want something that will help you but you also don't want it to help somebody else more and so you need to take into account what other people have an also what bidding numbers you have so if you take the risk, you know you have odds of winning an auction but if you are more likely to lose an auction, then maybe the other side of the building would be better. This is an interesting decision analysis and I appreciate it but I didn't enjoy it. Same thing applies to people tiles. I liked just drawing a tile and what you draw is what is available.

More importantly, the 10 plague tiles don't really put pressure or worry in the game. Buying one plague tile is minus one point, having two is minus three, and on it increases. But, I could reduce my plagues with priests. In Ra, there is the treat of disaster tiles and if they come out, you could really eat it if you buy that auction because it could take away significant scoring tiles for you. Also, I like the God tiles where you can exchange it for a single tile on the auction block. I felt more tension in RA with wondering what would come up and also, do I have enough of something to not take a negative score? I may have to bid on something that I don't really want but need in order to not be in last place in scoring those tiles. The tension and decisions just seem far superior in Ra. I guess I'll just print out a player-aid for pops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both games, but prefer Ra. And I do prefer the older edition. However, if I did not have the older edition, I would certainly buy the new one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
I felt more tension in RA with wondering what would come up

Cool, thanks for that bit.
I was eyeing this version because I did want something a little simpler. For some reason it takes a game for some new players to understand the system, but not a big deal.

But if it lacks some of the tension, then I'll stick with the full Ra. (still waiting for Asmodee's prices to fall)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would spring for PoR simply because I've played Ra faaar more than PoR, it's the "cult of the new", and on its own merits, I do prefer it as "the better game". The fact that Ra got a price lift is another factor against that (although I still have my Uberplay copy if need be).

In a nutshell, I tell folks that Ra has more types of tiles, but PoR has more things going within each type of tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.