Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: Possibility of hero weapons and enhancements? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hera expansion appears to be introducing weapon cards that heroes can gain through scenarios.

So this raises the question, can/will various equipment cards be an option to include in the basic game during the draft?
So when drafting, in addition to all of the units available, you could also spend recruitment points to buy equipment and enhancements to attach to a unit to give it a variety of bonuses.

Like, pay 1 point to get a weapon that adds +1 combat die and a talent.

Any thought of this being an option now or down the line?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's not intended to be used beyond the scenario .. personally I plan to use them as alternative divinity cards that Gods can take when they absorb 2 omphalos.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmb
The cards in the Hera box are intended for that campaign only. Which isn't to say you couldn't port them across into the skirmish game if you want to, but I doesn't appear there's any plans to make something similar for the skirmish game. Which I'm personally very happy with. MB works exceptionally well as it is, and elements like cards risk turning it into a combo game rather than a game based on synergies between units
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Probably best to keep those cards out of skirmish to prevent it getting too messy. Seems alright for scenarios though to give an RPG feel to it.

I'm more concerned about the second heracles and achilles versions. I rather see new heroes instead since this is just a waste. Especially Achilles already seemed stupidly overpowered, he does not need an even stronger version.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
redben wrote:
The cards in the Hera box are intended for that campaign only. Which isn't to say you couldn't port them across into the skirmish game if you want to, but I doesn't appear there's any plans to make something similar for the skirmish game. Which I'm personally very happy with. MB works exceptionally well as it is, and elements like cards risk turning it into a combo game rather than a game based on synergies between units


A valid point. If the game is all about unit synergy, then yeah, I wouldn't impliment it.

But to play devils advocate, are the combos that occur from units plus cards really much different than the combos you will get when combining unit X and unit Y?

Any game with choices and a pool of units will create combos.
So whether I equip Achiles with a sword or partner him up with a unit that can exploit his strengths, isn't it the same thing?
Not having enhancement cards will not take away the potential for combos and synergy. To me it merely adds a more intimate level of customization.

The Hera set also introduced two veteran versions of heroes that gives me the feel of a unit with an enhancement card.

So if I draft the 5 cost Heracles over the 4 cost. It is similar to drafting the 4 cost version and adding on a weapon to enhance/change him up a little.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmb
There's two main differences between pairing Achilles with another unit that works well with him, and adding a mechanic like this. The first is that you only need playtest Achilles against every other unit in the game, whereas this exponentially adds to that, as you need to playtest Achilles with every weapon combination alongside every other unit in the game with every weapon combination. It makes it much more likely something will slip through. And a side-effect of it is you need to design every future unit to consider every existing unit and every weapon card.

The other is that it adds more stuff to a game meant to be quick and streamlined. I've played the core box skirmish mode a few times and it's simplicity is a big reason why it works. Adding more mechanics seriously risks adding bloat.

And just on Achilles and how powerful he is. I've fielded him and faced him. In some games he had a great effect, in others he did nothing. His main strength is his durability, but he's slow (which makes him very vulnerable to Mighty Throw, particularly from ranged attacks), he has no area attack, and he has no tricks. He can do a lot of damage if gets one-on-one with a powerful enemy unit, but he can be certainly be mitigated against to minimise his effect on the game.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
redben wrote:
There's two main differences between pairing Achilles with another unit that works well with him, and adding a mechanic like this. The first is that you only need playtest Achilles against every other unit in the game, whereas this exponentially adds to that, as you need to playtest Achilles with every weapon combination alongside every other unit in the game with every weapon combination. It makes it much more likely something will slip through. And a side-effect of it is you need to design every future unit to consider every existing unit and every weapon card.

The other is that it adds more stuff to a game meant to be quick and streamlined. I've played the core box skirmish mode a few times and it's simplicity is a big reason why it works. Adding more mechanics seriously risks adding bloat.

And just on Achilles and how powerful he is. I've fielded him and faced him. In some games he had a great effect, in others he did nothing. His main strength is his durability, but he's slow (which makes him very vulnerable to Mighty Throw, particularly from ranged attacks), he has no area attack, and he has no tricks. He can do a lot of damage if gets one-on-one with a powerful enemy unit, but he can be certainly be mitigated against to minimise his effect on the game.


Another valid point. Adding enhancements does really add a lot of work on the balancing end as far as play testing.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit VOGT
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
The Hera expansion appears to be introducing weapon cards that heroes can gain through scenarios.

So this raises the question, can/will various equipment cards be an option to include in the basic game during the draft?
So when drafting, in addition to all of the units available, you could also spend recruitment points to buy equipment and enhancements to attach to a unit to give it a variety of bonuses.

Like, pay 1 point to get a weapon that adds +1 combat die and a talent.

Any thought of this being an option now or down the line?


The equipment cards are made to be used in the Hera expansion only. They are only designed for this and will not fit to the skirmish mode.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Benoit0905 wrote:
The equipment cards are made to be used in the Hera expansion only. They are only designed for this and will not fit to the skirmish mode.

Honestly, I think it's a pity that the equipment cards - and now villagers in the crossover box - are only used for 1 scenario. It would be nice if they had another use, like alternative Divinity cards or something, or that (some of the) the vilagers would form a troop that's viable to take in your draft. Like "Delphian Virgins (5)" that bring 1 AoW card but are rather weak for the rest.

Things like that. cool
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Teowulff.
It would be nice if the cards and the townpeople minis could have more uses for the game.

Also, having an equipment pack addon would be a very interesting way to expand the game. I understand it would be much harder to pull off balance-wise, but the idea of having the ability to further customize your warband or being able to play extra spells/abilities/ effects on top of everything else is just exciting to imagine.

To keep things balanced, effects could be limited to a specific unit type, can be used only once, or once per reshuffle of the deck and things like that.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I have to add to the disappointment that the villagers are useless in Mythic Battles.

It feels like most of the crossover content is geared towards Conan players, and the fact that this expansion contains a KSE miniature for MB (Ape), while the other MB unit doesn't even have a figure (Kraken), makes this one feel like an overt cash grab
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.