8 Posts

Hive» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can the beetle be placed on top of the wasp to stop it moving? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Its a bit of a power move, and me and my wife always seem to disagree on whether it is a 'fair' move

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingtreelo wrote:
Its a bit of a power move, and me and my wife always seem to disagree on whether it is a 'fair' move

You mean the queen bee? Yes, it is allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingtreelo wrote:

Move your beetle on top of your own queen, when the opponent beetle gets near, pin it! Totally fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
zombiegod wrote:
Kingtreelo wrote:

Place a beetle on top of your own queen, when the opponent beetle gets near, pin it! Totally fair.

damn, never thought of doing that!

cheers guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you see it coming, position your own beetle to go immediately on top of the opposing beetle after it's put on your queen bee. That'll prevent the strategy from doing as much harm - in fact, if you do this, it's not as good as a standard pin on the queen bee, because yes, it locks it in place, but doesn't help to surround it.

Also, you'll probably have time to go on the offensive whilst your opponent is wasting time positioning their beetle.

Semi-ninja'd - I like the idea of pinning the beetle when it's close but that's not quite the same as pinning it on top, which I actually think can be better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
just tried this, and my son stuck his second beetle on top of my one that was blocking him

ggggrrrrrrrrrrr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools

The Beetle attack is one of the basic drivers of the game. It is one of the reasons to get your Queen down early and get some Ants on the table and on the outside of the Hive. Remember that the opponent has only two Beetles.

The Beetle attack is not any faster than a conventional attack. Place an Ant, move the Ant, place a Beetle, move the Beetle *twice* (over the Ant), now you can place two Grasshoppers directly around the opponents Queen, finally place and move one more piece, then move the Beetle off into the empty space = total 10 moves. That is the same as placing then moving five pieces (10 moves) and one move slower than if your first Ant pins an opposing piece against the Queen and the completes the surround (9 moves).

The main risk with the Beetle is that your opponent plays a defence and uses those three moves (place-move-move) to develop pieces (say the three Ants), which then allows them to cripple your subsequent deployment. And of course there is always the possibility of playing a Beetle to cover the attacking Beetle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingtreelo wrote:
just tried this, and my son stuck his second beetle on top of my one that was blocking him

ggggrrrrrrrrrrr

I love the alternating stack of beetles on top of a queen. I think we got all the way to four of them once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.