Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: kublacon [+] [View All]
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's something I've always wanted to do; go to an out-of-town gaming convention, take a laptop and a digital camera, and do "live" reports on message boards. So that's what I'm going to do.

Has KublaCon started yet? No. More on the gaming tomorrow. I'm looking forward to the Babylon 5:A Call to Arms tourney, the Victory at Sea Coral Sea event, and lots of game demos. Marvel Heroes, C&C Ancients, Combat Commander Europe.

Flew up from San Diego yesterday with my wife, hit Chinatown and a bay cruise today. I like this town a lot.

More on gaming tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well drop by the Ship of Fools Games booth and say, ahoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Mark
United States
Citrus Heights
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Erik,

Please do stop by my C&C Ancients in miniature Sat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to Roger (dying to try that game) but I am playing in a 9 hour tourney in the daytime. My wife has friends here, we're eating with them Sat. night. When's your event? I am playing in the Friday night C&C Ancients event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to post pictures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to check out the 9 player version of A Game of Thrones: "A FEAST FOR CROWS" on Saturday morning in the atrium.

It's a full blown miniatures version with a hand painted map, painted footmen, knights and Dragons! This looks very cool and you'll want to take a picture of two for sure!

Game starts at 9am.

See ya there, stop by and introduce yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I am playing in the Friday night C&C Ancients event.

I'm GMIng that, so look forward ro meeting you.

It is actually a large 2 team variant that I will be running--up to 4 players per side. I have not been able to get a full 8 players, but it has been fun for smaller groups as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok here's a pic of the banner (boring, I know) while I kill time before registration, making sure all of the camera software is good to go. More later on tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
surprise Hey! they allow "Dragons" to attend? Well, I hope they constrain themselves to JUST devouring them LARP freaks! bite their heads off and the "screaming" WILL stop!
robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok day 1 is a wrap. I spent a lot of time walking around checking things out. The dealers room was cool, finally picked up a copy of Zero! from Endgame. I got to talk to Alex Fennel, head guy at Mongoose Publishing. I've been playtesting for them for three years and have never met anyone from the company so that was cool.

I only played one game, a C&C Ancients demo that was ran by Richard. AND I DIDN'T TAKE ONE PICTURE OF THE ONLY GAME I PLAYED IN. He did a good job teaching the basics of the game, we played a variant with two teams of two players each. Fun game. The wargames room was pretty small but it worked.

After dinner with The Little Woman (who had been cooped up in the hotel room all day) I hung in our room until the flea market at 11 pm. I thought there would be a stampede for people who were looking forward to cheap games, but the crowd was well-behaved (thick, but well-behaved). Lots of cool old games, I picked up Gheos and a box of wargames terrain super cheap. Gotta love that.

I would have loved to play Comabat Commander:Europe, the game conflicted with the C&C A game. I'm hoping I can get a game of Colesseum in before it's all over, it seemed like there was a bit of a buzz over it.. I liked seeing new companies trying to push their products. There was was a bit of boardgaming going on. More to come tomorrow, I'll be in an all-day babylon 5: A Call to Arms tourney. Probably will be a whole lot more people for the holiday weekend.

I'm posting pics in multiple posts, I don't know how many I can put up in each.

A game of Combat Commander Europe:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mongoose Alex:

BF Evo:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BF Evo demo table:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Day 2 at KublaCon was pretty cool. I played in a 9 hour B5: ACTA tourney, took second place and won the award for best painted fleet. Cool stuff. Hung out and played a (partial) demo of Battfield Evolution. More tomorrow, I have my husbandly duties to attend to, my wife rocks for volunteering to be a gaming widow 500 miles from home.

Part of my Babylon 5 fleet:

A couple of other guys fleet's, in the thick of battle:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger Mark, a C&C Ancients guy:

The Babylon 5 a Call to Arms crew. Do not accept checks from these men.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any more photos or commentary on it's way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
surprise Hey! they allow "Dragons" to attend? Well, I hope they constrain themselves to JUST devouring them LARP freaks! bite their heads off and the "screaming" WILL stop!
robot

Is that whatt all that weird howing was? LARPers? Very, very strange.

Quote:
Any more photos or commentary on it's way?

Yeah Scott, I'll have more commentary in a couple hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...make that about 24 hours.

Day 3 at KublaCon was fun even though I didn't get any games in. I stopped by Dan Martz'z Java Sea event for Victory at Sea, hung out there for awhile. Good event, the guy knows how run one. I also met Rich Bax, a contributing member of my playtest group for project X. Nice to meet people that you correspond with all the time but have never met face to face.

I spent the rest of the day with Alex Fenell, we talked about Mongoose Publishing and the details of project X. Another cool part of the day, I've been a Mongoose playtester for 3 years and have never met anyone from the company face to face. Mark O'Bannon (Shadowstar Games) asked me if I could write something for his next book, I accepted. I'm still having a hard time accepting that I'm a freelance professional in the gaming industry, this will be my second project for a publisher. Thanks, Mark. Also ran into my freind Chris who moved to the bay area. He clued me in to the gaming community up there. The 2 or 3 stores that people play at in San Diego pale in comparison to the huge community up there.

By this point I was completely shot. There was an idustry event I could have gone to but I had a long unintended nap.

Great selection of wargames being played. A number of Flames of War tables and a whole lot of small-publisher historicals. Awesome that the small publishers had a presence. I like it that GW games didn't dominate. Right behind the Coral Sea game there was a huge Advanced Squad Leader in miniture game, that feild of armor and troops looked really cool. I didn't get a chance to play the Dark Age minis game, though those figures (based on the artwork of Brom) sure are nice.

Purchase-wise I walked with Zero!, Corsairs and Hellcats, and a copy of Gheos (10 bucks, I intended to trade it and already have), and a cheap box of minis terrain. It could have been much worse, willpower prevailed.

That was it for me and KublaCon. We flew out Monday morning at 7:50 am. Real life back home was beckoning. I will be going next year, my wife gave it the green light. Thanks to her more than anyone for going with me and permitting my inner geek to expose itself. There's people I've known for years that have no idea that I'm a geek miniatures gamer and it was cool to let it all hang out. Great job by the organizers. Next year I'll know more what to expect and get more games in.

Dan Martz's VaS Java Sea game:

And a parting shot from my boat tour of the bay. I could easily live in the Bay Area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls