$30.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu» Forums » General

Subject: Difficulty / hunter overpowered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first game of this. We beat it with ease: didn't trigger a single summoning ritual.

The cause of our walk in the Arkham Park feels like it was having the hunter on our team. On her first turn she took the bus and destroyed the initial Shoggoth. Then, with one move, she wiped out an accumulation of 3 cultists.

And so it went for the whole game. Whenever a Shoggoth appeared or 3 cultists built up on a location, she'd play a card to hop on a bus and alleviate the danger. The rest of us went round closing gates.

If I read the rules right, moving by bus is that straightforward. You're on a station and, playing a card, you can move to any location in that town instantly. Yes, we know she can only take down one Shoggoth per turn but that's not a problem as they don't appear often. And yes, she was rolling the sanity dice and she eventually went insane. But she could still get rid of up to 6 cultists or a shoggoth every turn.

We were pulling "evil stirs" results from the bottom of the deck and shuffling the discard back on top. But nothing could keep pace with our lean, mean monster hunting machine.

Is she overpowered? Or did we do something wrong?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you just had a nice first game where the cards came out in a way that she could keep things under control.

Shuffle up and play again. Promise you it gets harder. Much harder.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ぶる ぶるっ
msg tools
Night fell and the hours dragged on, but still we murmured to each other of the King and the Pallid Mask, and midnight sounded from the misty spires in the fog-wrapped city.
badge
We spoke of Hastur and of Cassilda, while outside the fog rolled against the blank window-panes as the cloud waves roll and break on the shores of Hali.
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:

If I read the rules right, moving by bus is that straightforward. You're on a station and, playing a card, you can move to any location in that town instantly.

I don't have the rulebook in front of me, but the way we play is: play card the same colour as current town while on station to move to any other station; play a card a different colour to current town while on station to move to played colour town's station.

We played doctor and hunter in our last game and only just scraped in a win. From whst I remember there were a few occasions where it was more economical to walk between towns with the hunter than to move to and from bus stations.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buruburub wrote:
MattDP wrote:

If I read the rules right, moving by bus is that straightforward. You're on a station and, playing a card, you can move to any location in that town instantly.

I don't have the rulebook in front of me, but the way we play is: play card the same colour as current town while on station to move to any other station; play a card a differernt colour to current town while on station to move to played colour town's station.

We played doctor and hunter in our last game and only just scraped in a win. From whst I remember there were a few occasions where it was more economical to walk between towns with the hunter than to move to and from bus stations.

According to rules, it's station to location, not station to station. The Reporter has a useful skill which lets her move from station to station without playing a card.

To the OP, sounds like you got lucky! Hunter is a great character, but not overpowered. Plenty of ways to lose even with her in the game. I typically lose either when the player deck runs out (you can remove clue cards before the game to make it more difficult) or with all investigators becoming insane at the same time. I've lost 6-7 times and only seen Cthulhu once.

EDIT: typo
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ぶる ぶるっ
msg tools
Night fell and the hours dragged on, but still we murmured to each other of the King and the Pallid Mask, and midnight sounded from the misty spires in the fog-wrapped city.
badge
We spoke of Hastur and of Cassilda, while outside the fog rolled against the blank window-panes as the cloud waves roll and break on the shores of Hali.
mbmbmbmbmb
sahava wrote:
buruburub wrote:
MattDP wrote:

If I read the rules right, moving by bus is that straightforward. You're on a station and, playing a card, you can move to any location in that town instantly.

I don't have the rulebook in front of me, but the way we play is: play card the same colour as current town while on station to move to any other station; play a card a differernt colour to current town while on station to move to played colour town's station.

We played doctor and hunter in our last game and only just scraped in a win. From whst I remember there were a few occasions where it was more economical to walk between towns with the hunter than to move to and from bus stations.

According to rules, it's station to location, not station to station. The Reporter has a useful skill which lets her move from station to station without playing a card.

To the OP, sounds like you got lucky! Hunter is a great character, but it overpowered. Plenty of ways to lose even with her in the game. I typically lose either when the player deck runs out (you can remove clue cards before the game to make it more difficult) or with all investigators becoming insane at the same time. I've lost 6-7 times and only seen Cthulhu once.


Sounds like we were inadvertently playing a harder variant then
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Foley
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
And yes, she was rolling the sanity dice and she eventually went insane. But she could still get rid of up to 6 cultists or a shoggoth every turn.


This sounds off to me. You are reduced to only 3 actions per turn once you go insane. The Hunter would not be capable of killing a shoggoth every turn unless she was on the same space as the shoggoth at the start of the turn, and she wouldn't be able to kill 6 cultists unless she started her turn where there were 3 cultists and was right next to (or could immediately move to) another 3. The odds of this occurring with any regularity seem pretty remote. If that is what happened, it really was a fluke.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Foley
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
matzi1 wrote:
Make sure that you play with 4 characters. Always. Playing with less character means that the Hunter can kill a lot of cultists every second or third turn, but with 4, only every 4 turns. It wont be overpowered, but nice to have along.


I think the sanity challenge negates the ease of using the Hunter in a 2-player game. If the Hunter goes after shoggoths a lot she's likely to go insane. If there's only one other player, the challenge of keeping that player sane will make sealing all the gates more complicated, especially if the Hunter is spending all her time clearing the board of cultists and shoggoths.

I find 2-player at least somewhat challenging in general, due to the sanity rules and relatively few ways to heal. I've played about 6 games, and my win rate is probably 3 or 4 out of the 6, with the losses usually coming due to both players going insane.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xfoley8 wrote:
MattDP wrote:
And yes, she was rolling the sanity dice and she eventually went insane. But she could still get rid of up to 6 cultists or a shoggoth every turn.


This sounds off to me. You are reduced to only 3 actions per turn once you go insane. The Hunter would not be capable of killing a shoggoth every turn unless she was on the same space as the shoggoth at the start of the turn, and she wouldn't be able to kill 6 cultists unless she started her turn where there were 3 cultists and was right next to (or could immediately move to) another 3. The odds of this occurring with any regularity seem pretty remote. If that is what happened, it really was a fluke.



We had 5 shoggoths during the game. One at the start, three from "evil stirs" cards and one from a GOO card. The hunter got them all, for five dice rolls. She rolled 3 single sanity loss, one blank and one cultists. Looking at the dice, that doesn't seem particularly lucky or unlucky. There are four sanity per character, right? She lost her last point from another GOO but by that time the game was pretty much won.

Plus, even with three actions that's still two moves then clear a Shoggoth or 3 cultists. Very efficient use of actions.

Every one starts on Arkham station, right? So first character can use all their actions to give/take cards until they've got 5 to seal a gate. Seems very easy to close one on the second turn.

The problem, I think, is the player count, as another poster suggested. Hunter is very powerful when there's less than a full 8 spawns coming put between her turns.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
Every one starts on Arkham station, right? So first character can use all their actions to give/take cards until they've got 5 to seal a gate. Seems very easy to close one on the second turn.


You know you can only trade cards that match the color of the town you are in right?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
MattDP wrote:
xfoley8 wrote:
MattDP wrote:
And yes, she was rolling the sanity dice and she eventually went insane. But she could still get rid of up to 6 cultists or a shoggoth every turn.


This sounds off to me. You are reduced to only 3 actions per turn once you go insane. The Hunter would not be capable of killing a shoggoth every turn unless she was on the same space as the shoggoth at the start of the turn, and she wouldn't be able to kill 6 cultists unless she started her turn where there were 3 cultists and was right next to (or could immediately move to) another 3. The odds of this occurring with any regularity seem pretty remote. If that is what happened, it really was a fluke.



We had 5 shoggoths during the game. One at the start, three from "evil stirs" cards and one from a GOO card. The hunter got them all, for five dice rolls. She rolled 3 single sanity loss, one blank and one cultists. Looking at the dice, that doesn't seem particularly lucky or unlucky. There are four sanity per character, right? She lost her last point from another GOO but by that time the game was pretty much won.

Plus, even with three actions that's still two moves then clear a Shoggoth or 3 cultists. Very efficient use of actions.

Every one starts on Arkham station, right? So first character can use all their actions to give/take cards until they've got 5 to seal a gate. Seems very easy to close one on the second turn.

The problem, I think, is the player count, as another poster suggested. Hunter is very powerful when there's less than a full 8 spawns coming put between her turns.


MattDP, I don't think you were playing correctly.

As xfoley8 alluded to, when the hunter is insane, it takes all three of her actions to defeat a Shoggoth. When your character is insane, she can't access the abilities from the "sane" side of the card. In other words, she can only Defeat a Shoggoth for 1 action while sane.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
I've only played twice, but currently it seems the hunter is extremely useful (as long as she stays sane), even more so than the medic in original Pandemic.

The first game (three characters) I had no hunter, and I lost due to running out of cultists.

The second game, my hunter kept the cultists and shoggoths in check, and was really lucky with the sanity die, ending the game with a single sanity marker left. I didn't even need to use my Song of Kadath, though Warded Box really helped.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
faucelme wrote:
MattDP, I don't think you were playing correctly.


Thanks for the clarification, but we did get that and did play correctly. I just got it wrong in my justification. In point of fact the hunter didn't go mad until quite late in the game, by which time we were already well on top of things, so it never came up as an issue.

Having played several more games it seems clear that the player count is the biggest issue with the Hunter. By diluting her opportunities to use her abilities to once ever four turns the game became much more difficult.

I suspect there are other characters whose powers are dependent on player count - the one who gets an extra action (the doctor?) seems an obvious candidate. We also had him in our first game, so it seems we were running a roster of characters who are overpowered at low player counts.

We've yet to beat it with a full four players. It's a minor black mark that some characters are better than others at lower counts. It perhaps ought to have been note on the character cards at least.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
Aside from player count, I wonder if another factor balances out the hunter's effectiveness at shoggoth control: if you use her exclusively on the shoggoths, then there's a higher chance she can be driven insane. I wonder if this tends to be an issue with her.

Also, it appears her insane side is really bad compared to the other investigators; I would guess in general you don't want an insane hunter.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.