Hide
6 Posts

Wizard's Academy» Forums » General

Subject: Question about the basic rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wadsworth
msg tools
Hey everyone, I was looking through the rule book of the game and going over the basic setup, and I noticed something that seems strange to me. The basic rules have you set up the disaster deck with 8 activate threats cards and 1 imp invasion, and 1 wild magic card, and also has you take other cards for the progression deck. This seems weird to me because it seems all 8 activate threats cards would have no effect unless you happen to draw an imp summon before the deck runs out and happen to activate threats in that room, as well as the fact that the cards that have you place fire threats are in the progression deck which won't even have any cards drawn from it until the disaster deck is gone.

I then took a peek at some the beginning scenarios to see if it's any different, and it doesn't appear to be. So my question is, is there something I'm missing with the rules, since to me it seems like there's a very low chance of the activate threats cards doing anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure this is correct.
After all, this is the basic game, where you are supposed to learn. And since you are trying to find a specific spell, you are going to cast lots of random spells to see what they do -- several of these wreak some havoc, too. (BTW, it's funnier if you don't check in detail which spells are in the game before playing.)

Also keep in mind that every player plays a disaster card on their turn, so you go through that deck relatively fast -- and then more disastrous disasters come in!

I've played the basic game twice and not found it boring.
If you think it's too easy after playing it, the advanced game is most definitely more challenging (We haven't yet managed to win an advanced scenario, although we also haven't gotten that many games in yet because of logistical reasons).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wadsworth
msg tools
I get that it's a basic game, but even checking scenario's later seems to leave a good chance that many of the activate threats cards won't do anything, which is what confuses me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Riley
United Kingdom
Woodford Green
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the first run through of the deck added threats for each card, you would quickly lose the game. Given it takes a minimum of a turn to cast a spell, you'd be drowned in problems before you had any tools to fix them.

Imagine if Pandemic started with the initial cities already on the top of the draw deck, instead of the discard pile. You need a bit of breathing space at the start to get going. And given that the spells are unknowns (At least locationally) WA needs a bit more space than Pandemic where you already know what tools you have to solve the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, you get a lot of "activate threats - no effect" in the early game. It seemed more elegant than doing something like "only draw a card every 4th turn for the first pass" or "roll to see if a card is drawn this turn".

In an early version of the game every card did indeed add some sort of threat. That version was impossibly difficult, to my knowledge no human player ever won a single game. The only person who came close managed to get into a situation where they'd worked out they could win by guessing a spell correctly on a 1 in 6 chance (anything else was defeat). That was my sister who's pretty good at games and figuring out how I think.

If you want to get straight in at the action the advanced scenarios start with a lot of bad stuff on the board to get you going more quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Bissett
msg tools
prolixitas wrote:
So my question is, is there something I'm missing with the rules, since to me it seems like there's a very low chance of the activate threats cards doing anything?

There are other answers above, but a short answer that might not be clear to others just coming to the game is that the threat cards don't do anything the first time through the deck. You go through that deck 4 times (I think) and each time it will have more cards in it to cause more havoc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.