Subject: If you could only have 1 game of 'that' type? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darek C
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
How to define 'that' type of games?
I am talking about those big boxes, thematic games, that take hours and people in general love them.
Forbidden Stars, Descent, Star Wars Rebellion, Mage Knight, Chaos in the Old World, Game of Trhones, Twilight Imperium - do you know what I am talking about? I hope

Well, I have Game of Thrones 2nd edition, but I have not played it yet, it's waiting until my kids grow and I will be able to find few hours to invite friends and play it.

But I wanted to ask you, if you could own just one of those big, thematic, longer games, which one would you choose and why?
I really want to buy one more and I know, since I won't be playing them that often, that is the maximum capacity for such games my shelves can handle.

I'd appreciate if you could direct me to your favorite one of such 'type' and why you love it vs the others. I am pretty much fine with every theme, if it's warhammer, star wars or whatever - I really value good gameplay, replayability and a mix of strategy + fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warrior Knights I like is because of the theme. The game play is also intriguing with its card order system. The goal of the game is intuitive and the game has a story arc with one of the players crowned king. It Lso plays up to 6 players and you can adjust length of game with more or less influence. Components are the usual fantasy flight goodness. Does need it's expansion though.

It's a long game like Runewars (not as long as TI3). I does have a good few components but is less than runewars and TI and setup is a breeze compared to those other games.

I've still to try Forbidden Stars(copy on its way to me now) but at the moment Warrior Knights is my pick. Then Runewars and then TI3.

I also do really like Starwars Rebellion (I do see that as primarily 2 player tho). Have not tried game of thrones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror for me:
- Perfect mix of luck and strategy
- Deep theme and sense of story
- Every game plays differently, random character and enemy changes the decision making.
- Plays solo all the way to 8
- NOT 'streamlined' ... the complexity is a gift for maintaining my interest
- So much content you can customize it to be exactly the game you want to play today

I've been playing it for years and I've never not had fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies. I love playing against equally minded strategists as myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coin22 wrote:
I am talking about those big boxes, thematic games, that take hours and people in general love them.

I have no idea what type of game your talking about. I know of several big-box, thematic, long-play-time games, but can't say "people in general love them". Quite the opposite, actually. Most of the people I know would run in the other direction if I explained a game that way.

That aside, I know what you're asking for, and my preferences of the genre are these:

Wallenstein/Shogun
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) w/ Shattered Empire Expansion
Yedo - A little shorter

I didn't care much for Game of Thrones. It felt bloated to me. Although I would play it again with the right group.

Runewars was fun. I played it once a long while ago. I didn't feel inclined to buy it, but I'd happily play it again and if the experience was good like the first, I'd consider picking it up.

I've wanted to try Exodus: Proxima Centauri for a while. So, take a look there but I can't give you first-hand experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far the only games of "that" type that I have played are Eclipse and Zombicide: Black Plague. I loved both of them and want to play them again, but I think Eclipse might have the edge at the moment.

However, I have also acquired Forbidden Stars, Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game, Space Empires: 4X and Civilization which I haven't yet had the time to play (but hope to soon) and I also have Arcadia Quest: Inferno and Massive Darkness on the way via Kickstarter. I honestly expect to enjoy all of them, but if I had to guess, I'd probably give Space Empires or Arcadia Quest the best shot at displacing Eclipse (probably a slight edge to Space Empires, due partly to theme). Both of those systems seem to have a ton of both built-in flexibility and published content to allow me to find precisely the way(s) I most enjoy playing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this counts, but for me, at the moment, it's Scythe. However, I am keenly interested in trying/acquiring Forbidden Stars, for whatever that's wroth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight for 1-2 players. Through the Ages for 2-3. I'm not sure I have settled for one with 4+ players. GoT might be the leader for 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients - hardly have played my other long thematic games since getting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coin22 wrote:
How to define 'that' type of games?
Forbidden Stars, Descent, Star Wars Rebellion, Mage Knight, Chaos in the Old World, Game of Trhones, Twilight Imperium - do you know what I am talking about? I hope
To preface this, I don't consider all of the games you listed as belonging into the 'thematic big box' game category.

E.g. I think of Mage Knight almost purely as a solo game - and it's not a big box game, at all.

Chaos in the Old World and Game of Thrones imho aren't big-box games either, but both play best with a full complement of players.

Descent and Twilight Imperium fit in that category, but I don't really enjoy either game. They're also really different from each other because the first is a one vs. many Dungeoncrawler and the latter (more or less) a free for all 4x game.

Anyway, my favorite thematic big box game is probably Arkham Horror. It's fully co-operative and quite unpredictable. Gameplay nicely resembles an unfolding story and because there's plenty of expansions available for it, no two games have to be the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite of the type you describe is Dune, but its OOP and doesn't have the flashy components like the other games you list (unless you add them yourself).

Another recommendation would be the Memoir '44 collection. Buy enough expansions and you'll need to provide your own big box (or canvas field bag). Strategy + fun, scenario-driven, plays 2 just as well as it does 8. Less immersive than other suggestions here, but very flexible and replayable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” -Bukowski
badge
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
mbmbmbmbmb
My top 2 would be War of the Ring (Second Edition) (for 2 players) and Clash of Cultures (for 3-4 players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
horfrost3 wrote:
Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients - hardly have played my other long thematic games since getting it.

Yeah, I've barely played any other game since getting this Shadows of Brimstone. And every expansion makes the whole thing even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.