Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, with a game like this it's easy to get blinkered into making it look like the approach you're taking is the only way to do. But after a few games, I'm getting a little worried about how dependent Carthage seems to be on dice rolls.

Typically Carthage gets her navy out fairly early, either to stop Rome using ships to move round Sicily or to cut Corsica off from supply. Eventually Rome starts to build a navy and has the easier time of it, due to more colonist cards in the deck.

At some point, there's a fight. Naval battles are very random and sometimes Carthage comes off better, sometimes worse.

If Rome gets hit, though, or indeed if the Roman navy gets sunk by storms, they have a number of routes to recover. Lots of colonists makes it fairly easy. Corvus can make a weak navy powerful with infantry cards in reserve. Equally the ship building strategy can re-inflate Rome's navy with alarming speed.

Essentially, it seems much easier for Rome to recover from naval disasters than Carthage. If Carthage gets the sharp end of the dice or the cards, it can ensure it'll stay inferior to Rome for the rest of the game (bar storms). And Carthage has a really hard time without a navy, because it leaves Rome free to blockade Corsica and chip away at Carthiginian holdings there.

This isn't a winning strategy, of course. I'm just worried that Carthage can play well and still take a dispiriting loss on a few unlucky dice, something that doesn't seem to hamper the Roman player. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Mickelsen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played a few games, and admittedly in one game I played Rome defeated Carthage at sea and ran away with game. However, I think my opponent should have gotten the colonist card and rebuild his money. Carthage should never have money problems and by keeping Rome in the naval arms race slows Rome down in its advance on Sicily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthage has 2 colonist cards they can draft.

If Rome has legions in sea battles, they aren't in land battles.

You have got to learn how to take advantage of your strings strengths (darned voice recognition) and not worry about theirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Conn
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't risk the navy if you don't have to...wait for the storms at sea to do the dirty work for you.

And start pillaging asap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
And start pillaging asap.

I kept forgetting that, if your pillaged opponent is out of cash, the pillaged money is taken from the bank. So pillaging is always a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stein
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
Carthage has 2 colonist cards they can draft.

If Rome has legions in sea battles, they aren't in land battles.

You have got to learn how to take advantage of your strings strengths (darned voice recognition) and not worry about theirs.

Rome starts with 4 colonists, takes the one in the neutral empire to make 5 as their first action in the game, and should have #6 for Syracuse in short order.
Then Carthage starts with 2, drafts its' own and adds a 4th for Agrigentum.

That's not "destiny" in the game, but Carthage has a 6-4 disadvantage early on both in developing and in ship building. Just sayin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.