Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Cooper
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of the manage empire phase, I have one die left. If I assign it, then I use it to select a phase as per the rules. That die will be placed in my citizenry area. No action will be taken, because I only had one die. I will then use one credit to buy one die. I will never get anymore dice. Is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
ziggy3984 wrote:
At the end of the manage empire phase, I have one die left. If I [recruit?] it, then I use it to select a phase as per the rules. I will never get anymore dice. Is this correct?

No. If all your dice are tied up in partially done tasks (as developers, settlers, or goods), then you can always recall some of them to your cup during the Manage Empire step.

If you're in this position, then choose one thing you are trying to do (build a large development, settle a costly world, or ship lots of goods) and recall dice from the other tasks to finish your highest priority task and free up your dice.

(Alternatively, during Explore, you can discard a costly development or world on top of your construction zone so that the developers or settlers you have already allocated can, in the next Develop or Settle phase, complete a cheaper tile and return to your Citizenry to be recruited for other tasks.)

If, after recruiting, you have no dice in your cup, you must recall at least one die (as clarified in the second printing of the rules). See Manage Empire, Recall in the rules, page 8. Remember that the die you use to select a phase is still a worker! (Review the Frequently Overlooked Rules section on the back page of the rules if you aren't sure you're playing correctly.)

In general, to increase your total number of dice, settle some worlds to get more dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus the die that use to select a phase acts as a worker of that type during the chosen phase.

So (for example) if you use your last die do select "Explore", that die acts as an explorer (whatever face is showing on the die), and you could use it to generate two credits. Which means you can buy back TWO dice for next round.

Sometimes it's necessary to recall dice on tiles back to the cup, but sometimes you can get back into the game with just that one die. By shipping an alien good, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Cooper
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome... All good info. We missed the phase selector die becoming/is a worker rule. Thanks folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed that rule on my first couple plays as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:

Game is very quick to learn but more difficult to.master. I also missed this rule for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ziggy3984 wrote:
Awesome... All good info. We missed the phase selector die becoming/is a worker rule. Thanks folks.
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:
Asmor wrote:

Game is very quick to learn but more difficult to.master. I also missed this rule for a while.

When gaming with newbies, it's not a bad idea to either do the first round "open hand", or teach them and show them those "finer points", as those both have been missed too (1 die must be put on the phase selector, and that die can be ANY die. Symbols don't have to match).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you "use" a die, then it goes to your citizenry (after it's been used) and you have to pay to get it back.

If you don't "use" a die, it goes right back in your cup for the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.