$35.00
Moo Cow
msg tools
Just my two cents here, but when I was personally looking at buying this game because I thought the app was interesting, I found a lot of people asking whether the physical copy was worth getting or if they should just stick to the app.

Now that I got it and played it, I'm going to say that the physical copy is well worth it. The app is a lot of fun, but there was really something to getting a scenario, grabbing the cards out and making the decks, then physically running through and having to decide what I was going to do for each event. It felt a lot more interactive and involving. The app really loses that part to me; it just didn't translate.

I couldn't be more happy that I bought a copy of the game and I'm looking forward to getting my kids into it.

If you're on the fence like I was, I would say to go ahead and just do it. It's well worth it. It's really not that hard to manage the cards or the setup; the box is designed to organize the cards properly and it makes it easy to dig in and grab what you need and to put away when you're finished.

Thumbs up to the developer of this game. It's fantastic.

My only gripe is that I'm sure they could have kept the same price point and included some more dice. They certainly aren't fancy dice by any means, and they probably cost pennies to produce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, skimping on the dice seems unusually chintzy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite aspect of the physical game is the social aspect. With the right setup, you can approach that with the digital game, but for me it's not the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:

How? In the first couple of plays it is rare to need more than two of a die. If non-role-players decide to keep going they'll be shelling out for another path; more dice are cheap in comparison. Not to mention 1/3-1/2 of their customers have drawers full of dice and there are plenty of free dice roller phone apps.

More dice would have added cost (both manufacturing and shipping) with little real benefit to the product as a whole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Throknor wrote:
Robrob wrote:

How? In the first couple of plays it is rare to need more than two of a die. If non-role-players decide to keep going they'll be shelling out for another path; more dice are cheap in comparison. Not to mention 1/3-1/2 of their customers have drawers full of dice and there are plenty of free dice roller phone apps.

More dice would have added cost (both manufacturing and shipping) with little real benefit to the product as a whole.

Agreed.

It cost me about £12 to buy a pound'o'dice on Amazon after I got this which gave me 17 complete pathfinder dice sets and some spares, now we have 5 sets on the table for 2 of us which has always been enough so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Reis
Brazil
Santos
SP
flag msg tools
I'd rather play the physical copy than the digital one, it seems too clumsy yet. Played a couple of times, but I still prefer managing the cards manually, feels more 'rpgistic'.

I like their idea on turning it into a digital one with infinite possibilities (multiplayer, quests, dlc, much more content), but they should not copy the original game system.

IMO, it is stupid to throw a virtual dice without physics or hand position, just give the damn % chance.

Being a digital game, they could also invest a bit more into scenery, create a proper dungeon and show our heroes doing their tasks. Maybe even changing the game a little bit to turn into a proper dungeon crawler (multiple heroes crawling through different dungeons at the same time, uh?).

But, probably their goal was to promote their own game and I believe they were successful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CPBelt
United States
Fern Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best thing about the app is that I don't have to sleeve the cards. laugh

I agree. The physical game is better and more fun multiplayer than the app. My serious complaint about the physical game is the fragility of the cards. They nick so easily. I'm a long time CCG player and am used to sleeving cards, but these nick with the slightest touch it seems. Ymmv.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
App's useful for the rules and, of course, more convenient for solo play. I really like the "card counting" the app does does. The app has a random quest version and difficulty levels that the physical game doesn't have (not that that would be hard for a fanmade variant).

The app only has Rise of the Runelords, so has *far* less content than the physical game. Plus, the app's not supported on all platforms. Don't jump in and buy stuff on the app without playing the game and seeing if it runs properly on your platform!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.