Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Road to Legend» Forums » Rules

Subject: Zombie activation question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Eucker
United States
Cedar Grove
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Zombie group has the following activation list:
1. Engage as many heros as possible within 4 spaces of this monster.
2. Attack a hero.

If I keep my heros more than 4 spaces form the zombies they will never move, correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, I had a lot of stranded zombies in my campaign.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
No, the zombies will move toward heroes. This is covered in the rules for "engage."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanLuc wrote:
No, the zombies will move toward heroes. This is covered in the rules for "engage."


Quote:
ENGAGE
When engaging, a figure is trying to get adjacent to a target. It performs a move action and moves toward the target (see “Toward” on page 9), stopping when it is adjacent or when it runs out of movement points.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The distinction Gustav is making isn't about the engage action itself, but the "heroes within 4 spaces" part. If at the start of its activation there are no heroes within 4 spaces of the zombie, then what does it target? If you're saying the closest hero, then why bother stating the "within 4 spaces" part?

My feeling is Gustav is right. You can't target a hero within 4 spaces if there isn't one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Hejtman
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mb
Budapest wrote:
SeanLuc wrote:
No, the zombies will move toward heroes. This is covered in the rules for "engage."


Quote:
ENGAGE
When engaging, a figure is trying to get adjacent to a target. It performs a move action and moves toward the target (see “Toward” on page 9), stopping when it is adjacent or when it runs out of movement points.


Even with this limitation to 4 spaces? I thought that in this example they try find heroes in this distance and if there is no one, they skip this action?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no target as no one is within the specified range. So there is no target to move closer to.

So yes, they skip this line and go to the next.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
My bad, yes that particular line would be skipped, but activation cards almost always have a global catch-all, so my mind automatically skipped to that. If you actually saw an activation card in-game with ONLY those two imperatives, then color me quite surprised.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanLuc wrote:
If you actually saw an activation card in-game with ONLY those two imperatives, then color me quite surprised.

It was a while since I played but as I remember it I saw that "card" a lot.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Zipprich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than post a new topic on this, considering it's related, I'll just bump this question.

Am I missing something with the wording as many heroes as possible? Monsters can only attack once during their activation and zombies don't have flail.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stevozip wrote:
Rather than post a new topic on this, considering it's related, I'll just bump this question.

Am I missing something with the wording as many heroes as possible? Monsters can only attack once during their activation and zombies don't have flail.


The instruction is telling you to engage as many heroes as possible, not attack as many heroes as possible. You can see the next line is to then attack a single hero.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Zipprich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
stevozip wrote:
Rather than post a new topic on this, considering it's related, I'll just bump this question.

Am I missing something with the wording as many heroes as possible? Monsters can only attack once during their activation and zombies don't have flail.


The instruction is telling you to engage as many heroes as possible, not attack as many heroes as possible. You can see the next line is to then attack a single hero.


Yep, you're right, thanks. I have been misinterpreting enemy activation and believed Engage to mean move to and attack a hero.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.