BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What's a good "next step" worker placement game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Garcia
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
Right now, the only worker placement I have is Lords of Waterdeep. What would be a good, "next step" game for this genre?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyem 24
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yedo or Viticulture perhaps? Maybe Manhattan Project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darek C
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
Tzolkin, Stone Age, Dungeon Petz, The Village

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyem24 wrote:
Yedo or Viticulture perhaps? Maybe Manhattan Project.

Add Snowdonia and Lancaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coin22 wrote:

Village is good. Stone Age is on the same level as LoW. Tzolk'in and Dungeon Petz are definitely more than just the next step up although Tzolk'in has the easier rule set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next step in complexity or next step into new mechanics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdonia
Coal Baron
Agricola (Family Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neill Pert
United Kingdom
Church Fenton
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for snowdonia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sleep l
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My progression has been:
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small E Lords of Waterdeep E Agricola E Fields of Arle

The nice thing about learning Agricola is that you can play the "family variant" without cards, and then introduce more complexity when everyone is ready. If you have iOS, the Agricola app is also a great tool for both learning and just trying it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Dionne
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyem24 wrote:
Yedo or Viticulture

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species - if you want a fantastic 3-4 hour worker placement, area control, euro war game

Keyflower - worker placement with a lot of fun complexity and auctions.

For worker placement, I would also look into dice placement games:
Covert - dice placement, code cracking, completing mission cards.
Steampunk Rally - fantastic game, includes 7 wonders style drafting, dice placement, and racing.
Alien Frontiers - haven't played this one.
Kingsburg - new edition coming out soon that incorporates some expansion that was essential for the first edition to shine. Haven't played this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another +1 for Snowdonia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on Village, but agree with another poster that Stone Age is the same level as Waterdeep.

Champions of Midgard is about the same level as Stone Age, but gives you fewer workers and more places to place your meeples, so it's a bit more interesting than Stone Age. I have never played Waterdeep.

I would recommend The Gallerist because at its heart, it's a very simple worker placement game as you only have one worker and can only go one of four places. However, there are so many cascading effects to those choices and so many layered end game scoring factors that the mechanics aren't really a step up, but the complexity is probably two or three steps up, easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
GoingTopShelf wrote:
I would recommend The Gallerist because at its heart, it's a very simple worker placement game as you only have one worker and can only go one of four places. However, there are so many cascading effects to those choices and so many layered end game scoring factors that the mechanics aren't really a step up, but the complexity is probably two or three steps up, easily.

I'd say the Gallerist is both a good and bad idea in that it's clearly, technically worker placement, but it doesn't really matter that it is.

I'd urge OP to stop looking for "worker placement" games and instead look for "great" games. It shouldn't matter that it uses a certain mechanic. Especially WP, as an action mancala, dice placement, card play, and many similar action limiting mechanics can all be used to create the similar tension and inability to always do the thing you want.

When you get to decent "Worker Placement" games like Gallerist, Dominant Species, Madeira etc. They're deep enough to not have this one bloated headline core mechanic sitting over the top of them, and instead become their own indiviudal experience full of all sorts of different mechanics used in their own creative ways. Yes they contain WP, but it doesn't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancaster
Alien Frontiers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Perotti
Sweden
flag msg tools
+1 Keyflower, also check out Archipelago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.