Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Energy Empire is one of the most intuitive games to come out recently and the rule book is clearly laid out and concise. No matter the game though, for me, there's always one or two rules that are easy to miss and this game proved no different. In our first play, we completely missed the rule that an achievement can be worth no more than 5 victory points and no player may have more than 5 achievements. That would have swung the scoring pretty dramatically.

What rule(s) did you miss?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the compliments on the rulebook! We've been really happy with how easily people are learning to play.

The mistake that I've seen most often as people are learning isn't exactly a rule they missed, but people will sometimes forget to remove pollution from the global impact track when they don't pollute during the generate phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep forgetting to add pollution tokens when buying those buildings with the pollution symbols.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Energy Empire is one of the most intuitive games to come out recently and the rule book is clearly laid out and concise. No matter the game though, for me, there's always one or two rules that are easy to miss and this game proved no different. In our first play, we completely missed the rule that an achievement can be worth no more than 5 victory points and no player may have more than 5 achievements. That would have swung the scoring pretty dramatically.

What rule(s) did you miss?

We anticipated these rules being easily missed so we tried to mitigate it on the components... the Achievements nest on your Player mat has a (maximum 5) reminder on it, and each Achievement's backside has a graphic that says "Maximum "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall
United States
Midwest City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
BOOMER!
badge
SOONER!
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that we were unclear on is whether or not you could power a building that you bought that same turn. otherwise this was a very well written rulebook and a pretty easy game to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expounding on my comment above about placing pollution tokens when buying buildings with symbols on them, the tokens come from the global event track and NOT from the supply. Same with the pollution for gaining a new worker. No wonder our game took twice as long to play as we figured it should have!!! Doh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian M
United States
California
flag msg tools
There is actually a spot in the later parts of the rulebook where it explicitly says that a building is available to be used immediately. Took a while to find it, but it's in there.

[edit]
Double checked the pdf preview they posted a while back. It's on Page 14 under Gaining a New Structure:

Once you have paid for a Structure, take it and place it in your tableau. (Keep your Government, Industry, andC ommerce Structures separated for easy management.) The new Structure is available to be used immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to second (or third) the comments about the rulebook. VERY, VERY well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Siebenthall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian559 wrote:
There is actually a spot in the later parts of the rulebook where it explicitly says that a building is available to be used immediately. Took a while to find it, but it's in there.

[edit]
Double checked the pdf preview they posted a while back. It's on Page 14 under Gaining a New Structure:

Once you have paid for a Structure, take it and place it in your tableau. (Keep your Government, Industry, andC ommerce Structures separated for easy management.) The new Structure is available to be used immediately.

If I didn't activate a structure, but did place a worker in the related location, may I still activate the structure on my next turn without placing another worker in that area? (I hope that question makes sense)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Davis
msg tools
Yes. You may activate a structure as long as you have a worker in the corresponding market/color regardless of when that worker was put there.

Edit: I was wrong (see below). No, you may only activate a building when a worker was placed in the corresponding color on the SAME turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Davis
msg tools
With a few plays, looking at the pollution of each building and following through becomes second nature, likewise with the 5VP max achievement rule. On a first or second playthrough I can see how this would be easy to forget.

I think the hardest think to remember is two things: 1) Remembering to take a pollution off the GI track when you generate cleanly. To mitigate this, I usually pick up the pollution token before rolling, then roll, then place the pollution on my board or discard it. 2) Not taking pollution from supply except GI events. Trick for me, put the extra pollution tokens in the box! When they sit next to the game board its easy to mess up. If you get a GI event requiring pollution then I'll reach back in the box. But generally keeping the spare tokens around always messes someone up.

+1 on the amazing rulebook. I got the first print which has the oil typo but doesn't bother me at all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrdavis4 wrote:
Yes. You may activate a structure as long as you have a worker in the corresponding market/color regardless of when that worker was put there.

No, the rulebook says about activating structures:

Quote:
The Structure must be of the same type as the location on the main board (Government, Industry, or
Commerce) where you placed your Worker this turn. For example if you placed a Worker in a Government
location in phase 1, the only Structures you may activate in phase 2 are Government Structures

(emphasis mine)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Davis
msg tools
That's embarassing. Thanks, Chris. We've played this game lots of times now, so I was confident we had gotten all the rules down. I edited my mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
w k
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Just got the game and love it...

We actually missed the rule about placing a worker in the "area" before activating... we were placing all workers and energy, then generating, rise & repeat.

It was still a ton of fun, but near the end the game...drifted off... LOL... this rule was why.

We also kept forgetting to award points when flipping global impact cards based on the cleanliness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Pollex
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
So you can activate multiple structures on your turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tpollex wrote:
So you can activate multiple structures on your turn?

Yes - as long as they match they area in which you played on the main board on that same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YesMyNameIs Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my 2nd game of solo, I almost put 4 pollution tokens in each Global Impact track space since that's what the 2-player game calls for.. Luckily I caught it while refreshing my memory on the solo rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.