Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These are reworks of the two Fed ships. I've modified some things and tried to make them viable with a family relationship. I also made them the same size as the Kickstarter ships so they could be mounted (once we think they are right -- not too strong or too weak).

EDITED: Forgot ship title on Galaxy.

EDITED: I've played the A several times and the D once. In this form both are pretty likely to win. I *think* this reason for this is the command function which actually converts the command die to another die which allows the photon torpedoes to work (on both ships). It allows that torpedo shot to happen more often and lends flexibility in normal ship operations. The poor phaser operation vs. the Halcyon does hurt though.

The Enterprise D has an even better torpedo talent with the command talent backing it up which helps a lot though warping away is harder. It is still viable again because of the command talent.

EDIT: These two ships are probably both "better" than the Halcyon which is the baseline for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work!

Does the TOS ship have no equivalent "Picard Manoeuvre" on purpose? Could have a "Kirk Manoeuvre" (which, thematically, should be "shoot first, ask questions later", but not sure how that would fit with the actions. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
Nice work!

Does the TOS ship have no equivalent "Picard Manoeuvre" on purpose? Could have a "Kirk Manoeuvre" (which, thematically, should be "shoot first, ask questions later", but not sure how that would fit with the actions. )

Well that warp burst idea was apparently a new idea for Picard. One surmises that the Stargazer's engines were better? Also remember I've made some changes, but this is just a rework of your Enterprise A and Enterprise D.

Kirk tended to try to work things out first but he wasn't the diplomat that Picard was. This game is a lot more finely balanced than Star Trek the Dice Game is. Getting the ship right is trickier and I doubt we have it yet. Your design might even be better. I'm not really happy with some of the Kickstarter ships either. The drone and the alien ship both seem to need more dice to work (like 8). I felt like your com die rule was what made the Enterprise A work where the D had that firepower hole that prevented them from getting the torpedoes in more than once or twice a game. Maybe I've made it too powerful, not sure.

I had to learn whole new areas of my old Photoshop 3 program to build up a layered template with the pieces of this document in different layers. I can change out the pieces without a lot of re-drawing. Not perfect but not bad. I can send you the template if you want though you may well have a better one.

If I can get the design right, I might try my hand at mounting the ships on board with bookbinder's tape for the hinge so it fits in the KS box. But first it has to be a good ship relative to the original Halcyon which is a finely tuned ship for this game.

Oh I updated the image above because I forgot to name the Enterprise D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.