Subject: New place cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett Gallegos
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
My friends and I have found that the Artefact is not all that useful as a Place card. Sacrifice one Place card (The Artefact) this turn to play two Place cards next turn. This card seemed to only be played when a player wanted to use the alternate power of recovering a discarded card, otherwise, if you use the actual power of the card, you're increasing your chances on the next turn of being caught two-fold. There is no incentive to use the Place cards actual power.

I saw the promo card for the Artefact which leads me to think that this issue was identified by the game designer. Will the promo cards that replace the Artefact be available for purchase as well as the new Hunt and Survival card?

Also a question about Double Back (Survival Card) which says, "Take back the Place card you just played." Does this allow the player to play another Place card or simply returns the played Place card to the hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Espreman Etienne
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Mcholypotato wrote:
My friends and I have found that the Artefact is not all that useful as a Place card. Sacrifice one Place card (The Artefact) this turn to play two Place cards next turn. This card seemed to only be played when a player wanted to use the alternate power of recovering a discarded card, otherwise, if you use the actual power of the card, you're increasing your chances on the next turn of being caught two-fold. There is no incentive to use the Place cards actual power.

I saw the promo card for the Artefact which leads me to think that this issue was identified by the game designer. Will the promo cards that replace the Artefact be available for purchase as well as the new Hunt and Survival card?

Also a question about Double Back (Survival Card) which says, "Take back the Place card you just played." Does this allow the player to play another Place card or simply returns the played Place card to the hand?

Hi Garrett,

No, the promo cards are not for sell.

We know that most of players are afraid of the "basic Artifact" but believe me (and as publisher i've played it maybe 100 times since one year), that's one of the most powerful card.

Two reasons for that :
- the Creature rarely think to go there. So the turn you play this Artifact is 99% safe for you !
- Of course next turn is more risky, so when you play 2 cards, do it when you have a good Survival card in hand.Good advice : use the "Artefact" with the "Shelter" or "The source". ;-)

But you are right, the promo cards are also very good ! That's why they are only promo cards !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Gallegos
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
espretie wrote:

- the Creature rarely think to go there. So the turn you play this Artifact is 99% safe for you !

This is why I see it as a valuable card only to retrieve another discard because the creature never thinks to go there. I think this is telling in and of itself, the creature doesn't go there 99% of the time because no one plays this card as it has little purpose.
espretie wrote:

- Of course next turn is more risky, so when you play 2 cards, do it when you have a good Survival card in hand.Good advice : use the "Artefact" with the "Shelter" or "The source". ;-)

I guess the trouble I'm having is this: You give up one turn to essentially have two turns next round when you could just do your turns as normal and have a higher chance of evasion. 'The Artefact' simply puts another cog in the machine that doesn't need to be there, it's a middle-man that only increases risk. Sure, there may be that one Survival card that makes 'The Artefact' worth playing, but it's a very specific scenario, i.e. the 'Gate' card.

Yes, I could play 'The Artefact' and then play 'The Source' and 'The Shelter' in a single turn, but why throw the additional card into the mix at all when I could just play the 'The Source' and then 'The Shelter' on separate turns? It comes down to this, you either play 2 cards to get their benefits, or you play 3 cards to get the same benefit as playing 2 cards using the same amount of turns.

espretie wrote:
We know that most of players are afraid of the "basic Artifact" but believe me (and as publisher i've played it maybe 100 times since one year), that's one of the most powerful card.

To your point, there's really one Survival card that makes 'The Artefact' the most powerful card and that's the Survival card 'Gate: Instead of using the power of your Place card, copy the power of an adjacent place.' That does make it most powerful card in the game when used with that card, but there's only one card that makes 'The Artefact' useful. I think changing the ability of 'The Artefact' or adding more Survival cards that complement 'The Artefact' would really add a lot to the game.

I don't mean to sound like I don't appreciate the work that was done with this game as I think this game is absolutely amazing and is very well done as it is. I just want to do what I can to see it evolve into something even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quaoar 10
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, I think that adding als ternative place cards would help the replayability of the game. I enjoy it quite a bit but it can become a bit repetitive after a while. Any plans for an expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
quaoar10 wrote:
In general, I think that adding als ternative place cards would help the replayability of the game. I enjoy it quite a bit but it can become a bit repetitive after a while. Any plans for an expansion?

Actually we produced 2 alternative artefacts. The first one (the red) was used as promo card at the SPIEL but we still have a limited number of English copies available so I'm planning to contact BGG to add it to the store. The second one (the green) could follow the same way and be on the BGG stores in a couple of months. Or could be a promo during the fairs we will attend or in a promo in a magazine.

Broadly speaking, I like these 2 alternative place cards and I feel also frustrated to think that only a limited number of players will enjoy them. That's the situation. But to answer the usual question, what about new place/survival/hunt cards, we are working on it as well as an expansion. And maybe (and I say maybe), we will add the 2 alternative artefact in these expansion but with new artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Gallegos
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
That would be awesome to get the alternatives either through the BGG store or an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
ohm nama shiva wrote:
Actually we produced 2 alternative artefacts [...]and I feel also frustrated to think that only a limited number of players will enjoy them.

It would be amazingly cool if they were included in:
ohm nama shiva wrote:
an expansion. And maybe (and I say maybe), we will add the 2 alternative artefact in these expansion but with new artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.