Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Aeon's End» Forums » Rules

Subject: Focusing Orb questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yorick Heijink
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The card states Focus any player's breach.

1. Does the focus also mean that the player can add a spell or does it just rotate the card?

We played it as focus AND the breach's owner may add spell from his hand.

2. Does focus include opening a breach?

This is an odd one because the card has specific instructions: Focus means turn for a cost while the last step only has option to open, no longer focus. To add to this; on the reference cards there is an action for opening and an action for focusing, thus making it two seperate things. So can the Focusing Orb also open any player's breach OR do they have to open it themselves by paying the regular cost on their turn? We found the rulebook inconclusive and didn't open any breaches with the orb.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. When you focus a breach, you only rotate that breach. You do not get to prep a spell there automatically as that is a separate action. If I focus my own breach on my turn using focusing orb, then I can immediately prep a spell there after I focus it. If I focus another player's breach on my turn, that player does not get to prep a spell there.

2. If a breach has the darkened yellow part facing up where no focus cost is listed, then focusing that breach will instead open it.

Sorry for the confusion, hope that helps.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yorick Heijink
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
qxc0 wrote:
1. When you focus a breach, you only rotate that breach. You do not get to prep a spell there automatically as that is a separate action. If I focus my own breach on my turn using focusing orb, then I can immediately prep a spell there after I focus it. If I focus another player's breach on my turn, that player does not get to prep a spell there.

2. If a breach has the darkened yellow part facing up where no focus cost is listed, then focusing that breach will instead open it.

Sorry for the confusion, hope that helps.

Thanks for your reply!

So to recap:
1. we played it wrong. Focussing and prepping are two seperate things. I guess we could've figured this with the same logic we used with point 2; they are seperate actions.

2. however, played this wrong too We actually can open a breach by focussing it. Even though these are seperate actions. Good one for perhaps an eventual errata or FAQ.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Did your first point lead to player prepping a spell during another player's turn? Because I cannot see that happening ever (at least not in the PnP version) unless openly stated that you can.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yorick Heijink
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Did your first point lead to player prepping a spell during another player's turn? Because I cannot see that happening ever (at least not in the PnP version) unless openly stated that you can.

I must admit that is indeed how we played it. When the question came up someone picked up the rulebook to check if focussing includes prepping and he said it did. Turns out that wasn't the case, so we'll play it right next time.

It was too good to be true anyway
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In taking a look at the rulebook, I can see your misunderstanding and I am taking notes on how to remedy the situation.

1. The rulebook says on page 14 "When you focus a breach, rotate the breach card 90 degrees clockwise. You may prep a spell to the focused breach this turn." Taking a strictly literal interpretation of this rule, I would say that if I focus your breach with Focusing Orb, then I can prep a spell to that breach. Now, it should state in the rulebook that you can only prep spells to your own breaches. (I will add that for future printings. I think that is pretty intuitive, but I'll add it anyway.)

Kevin answered your actual question. I just wanted to let you know that I have taken note of your concerns and will try to make it more clear in the future. Luckily, we have a forum where questions like this can be answered.

2. The last bullet under the number 4 on page 14 says "A breach that has been rotated so that the yellow quadrant is at the top has a focus cost equal to its stated open cost and can be opened by an effect that would otherwise focus this breach." I think this answers your question about being able to use a Focusing Orb on such a breach. If you disagree, please let me know so that I can try to make it more clear.

Thanks!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Pluim
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yorickh wrote:
The card states Focus any player's breach.

1. Does the focus also mean that the player can add a spell or does it just rotate the card?

We played it as focus AND the breach's owner may add spell from his hand.



nicklittle wrote:
Now, it should state in the rulebook that you can only prep spells to your own breaches.


Consider the following example:
John focuses Sally's breach using focusing orb. With the above rule you would think that Sally could still prep a spell because it was her breach that was prepped.

Instead you may want to say you can only prep spells to your breach during your turn.

Now the exception comes with Kadir's special power which specifically states that the player can prep up to 2 of the spells they receive from the special power (in this case the specific power trumps the rule book which I would assume is clear)

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pluimc wrote:
yorickh wrote:
The card states Focus any player's breach.

1. Does the focus also mean that the player can add a spell or does it just rotate the card?

We played it as focus AND the breach's owner may add spell from his hand.



nicklittle wrote:
Now, it should state in the rulebook that you can only prep spells to your own breaches.


Consider the following example:
John focuses Sally's breach using focusing orb. With the above rule you would think that Sally could still prep a spell because it was her breach that was prepped.

Instead you may want to say you can only prep spells to your breach during your turn.

Now the exception comes with Kadir's special power which specifically states that the player can prep up to 2 of the spells they receive from the special power (in this case the specific power trumps the rule book which I would assume is clear)



I don't mean to nitpick, but I don't agree with the conclusion of your example. The rulebook section I cited says, "You may prep a spell to the focused breach this turn." The you in this sentence refers to the active player or, at the very least, the player who focused the breach. Since Sally isn't focusing the breach, I don't think she would be the one able to prep the spell. Regardless, the wording of the rulebook does need some clarification.

Additionally, Kadir's ability only affects the active player and their opened breaches, so I don't think it violates any of the rules that have been discussed so far.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Pluim
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nicklittle wrote:


Additionally, Kadir's ability only affects the active player and their opened breaches, so I don't think it violates any of the rules that have been discussed so far.


I completely missed that Kadir's ability is available on any player's main phase. I thought you chose the player during Kadir's main phase. oops modest
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kadir is my favorite mage, by far.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Action Phase wrote:
Kadir is my favorite mage, by far.


She's my favorite too, but I miss when she was a redhead.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Pluim
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Action Phase wrote:
Kadir is my favorite mage, by far.

She combos really well with the spell Void Bond and the relic Blasting Staff
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pluimc wrote:
Action Phase wrote:
Kadir is my favorite mage, by far.

She combos really well with the spell Void Bond and the relic Blasting Staff


You can also do some cool things with her and Xaxos as well as cards like Mage's Talisman. Xaxos's ability lets you feed her charges and that with Mage's Talisman lets you activate her ability pretty frequently for a very strong combo.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.