Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Treasure Hunter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sleeping Beauty, Shrinking Potion and a tie -- and Expansion 1 as a bonus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Dunlap
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shooting for the lowest total, one player plays 5 and 1, the other player plays 3. The first player plays Sleeping Beauty to "cancel the sum of one adventurer card" to eliminate the 5 and reduce to a sum of 1. The second player plays Shrinking Potion and reduces to a sum of 1. The tiebreaker goes to the player who played the strength card with the highest strength number -- is the first player's 5 still considered "played", even though it's value was canceled, so that it wins the tiebreaker?

Bonus question -- if a card from Expansion 1 also showing paws or a coin (4 & 5) is put to sleep with Sleeping Beauty, does the player still collect the bonus in a later phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good questions. The answers aren't in the rule book.
1. I own the app and according to the app the card is still considered played.
2. Not a clue..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdunlap1125 wrote:
Shooting for the lowest total, one plays plays 5 and 1, the other player plays 3. The first player plays Sleeping Beauty to "cancel the sum of one adventurer card" to eliminate the 5 and reduce to a sum of 1. The second player plays Shrinking Potion and reduces to a sum of 1. The tiebreaker goes to the player who played the strength card with the highest strength number -- is the first player's 5 still considered "played", even though it's value was canceled, so that it wins the tiebreaker?

Bonus question -- if a card from Expansion 1 also showing paws or a coin (4 & 5) is put to sleep with Sleeping Beauty, does the player still collect the bonus in a later phase?

1. The player who played the 5 would win the tiebreaker.

The tiebreaker text says;

Quote:
"In case of a tie for the highest and/or lowest total, the tied player who played the card with the highest strength number wins the tie and captures the treasure."

I bolded "played" because it's important to note when sleeping beauty is played it doesn't remove the card from being in play, it just cancels the sum.

Quote:
Sleeping Beauty: "The player cancels the sum of one adventurer card they have played"

So all you are doing is canceling the sum of the card, not the fact that the card was still played.

Bonus question I have no insight since I do not own the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Months later, I know...

I would agree based on the wording in the rules, but it seems the designer himself answered this a month after this was originally asked and Sleeping Beauty discards the targeted card

Tiebreakers
dwalton wrote:
If Player A plays a Red 6, Red 2, and a Sleeping Beauty to cancel the 6. Then Player B plays a Red 4, and a shrinking potion (-2). Who wins the tie? The rule for ties is below, Player A technically played the higher card strength but it was number was cancelled.

Phelddagrif wrote:
The intent (I haven't read the rules carefully to see that they match the intent):

Sleeping B discards the 6. The tiebreaker is based on the 4 & the 2, so the 4 wins the tie.

Perhaps the publisher changed it or it just wasn't clarified that Sleeping Beauty should discard the card it was used on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad wording in the rulebook then because it says it cancels the sum of the card not the fact that the card was played.

However, if you cancel the sum of the card I guess it really has no value so it can't be compared, so I can see where it is coming from. meeple

Sleeping Beauty: "The player cancels the sum of one adventurer card they have played"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dunlap
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And, of course, Richard Garfield's answer addresses the second question I posed as well -- if a card put to sleep is considered discarded, then any coin or paw on the card also disappears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.