Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam in Wales
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook is a little confusing as to how to score the game. There seem to be several exceptions to the basic rules. I think this is the correct approach to scoring:

3vp per person.
-3vp per begging tile

1vp per tile
EXCEPT wood tiles
And EXCEPT the double clay room tile which is 2vp

1vp per item on a tile (grain, stable, animal)
BUT ALSO 1vp for an animal in a stable which is not on a tile.

Points as noted on special tiles.

Is the above all correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over thinking it, but only by a little.

Basically everything is 1 point except your family members, which are worth 3. All field and pasture tiles, 1 point. All animals and grain are 1 point each. Stables are only worth 1 point if they are on a pasture tile.

You get 1 point per clay room in your house. So, yes, that does make the double starting house tile worth 2, but it's just simpler to count the number of clay rooms in your house total.

And special tiles like ovens score based on the number on the tile.

I don't see the scoring confusion from the manual. Can you give me some examples to look into?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam in Wales
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
Over thinking it, but only by a little.

Basically everything is 1 point except your family members, which are worth 3. All field and pasture tiles, 1 point. All animals and grain are 1 point each. Stables are only worth 1 point if they are on a pasture tile.

You get 1 point per clay room in your house. So, yes, that does make the double starting house tile worth 2, but it's just simpler to count the number of clay rooms in your house total.

And special tiles like ovens score based on the number on the tile.

I don't see the scoring confusion from the manual. Can you give me some examples to look into?

Your explanation sounds simple but you've missed three minor exceptions which all make the scoring explanation more difficult (remembering this is for family players).

You haven't mentioned that the wood tiles are not worth points (an exception to the 1 point per tile rule).

Also grain and stables are only worth a point if on a tile. But animals are worth a point even if not on a tile. This inconsistency causes confusion.

One confusion comes from the rulebook description which says all tiles are 1 point (including clay rooms). This is ambiguous. And the rulebook says "each animal on your farm is worth 1 point. "Your farm" is never defined. It could mean "on a tile". How do I know to include animals in my supply? Finally, resources can only be scored for one special tile (I gather from the forums). The rules don't tell me this. I might try and score the same grain for my Windmill and the Depot.

I have it all worked out now, but I think the rulebook could be clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezequiel Vieira
Brazil
flag msg tools
Meeple = 3 points
Each tile = 1 point independent of size (clay rooms only worth 1 point)
Each animal in the pasture or in the house = 1 point
Each grain in the pasture = 1 point

That is, you can not raise animals that are not in the pastures or in your house (only 1 in your house)

Grains that have already been harvested are worth no points (only with specific improvement)

You can not count the points of the grains 2 times, because they only score the grains that are still in the pastures

The grains that have already been harvested only earn points if you have a specific improvement

Even my 8-year-old nephew was not confused with the rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam in Wales
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
E2EK1ELBR wrote:
Meeple = 3 points
Each tile = 1 point independent of size (clay rooms only worth 1 point)

This is wrong. The double-clay tile is worth 2 points.

E2EK1ELBR wrote:

Each animal in the pasture or in the house = 1 point
Each grain in the pasture = 1 point

That is, you can not raise animals that are not in the pastures or in your house (only 1 in your house)

This is also wrong. You can raise an animal in a stable which is not on a pasture. This is also worth 1 point.

E2EK1ELBR wrote:

Even my 8-year-old nephew was not confused with the rules

Good for your nephew. I'm thirty years older than him and I found it tricky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Johnson
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mb
Why do you think the double (1x2) Clay room is worth two points?

The rules state "Each tile in front of you is worth 1 point, except the wood rooms".

Some tiles are bigger than others, but there is nothing in the rules to indicate that you get 1 points per block (i.e., a 1x2 pasture is not worth two points and the 2x2 pasture is not worth 4 points). You haven't been scoring pastures that way have you? A tile is a tile - it's a piece of cardboard.

I think it is a very consistent design with a lot of intuition. The rules have been somewhat simplified from other Agricola versions. Saying "Each tile in front of you..." makes various tiles equivalent and the whole scoring procedure straightforward and easy to count.

Regarding "farm", the only thing said is "Each stable outside of a pasture can hold exactly one animal". Note he says "outside of a pasture" not "outside of your farm." The rules also state "Each animal is worth 1 point at the end of the game." I think the obvious interpretation is that single animals at stables outside pastures are on your farm and worth one point. There wouldn't be any point in going to the trouble to keep them otherwise, would there?

You can go out of your way to make some rather silly interpretations, but I think if you simply ask yourself "What makes sense?", most reasonable people will quickly come to the obvious conclusion. Has Uwe defined some sort of special non-farm area under your control? If an animal you have isn't on your farm, where would it be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam in Wales
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify, I'm not making weird interpretations! From another thread - the quote is from the Lookout Spiele editor:

Ponton wrote:
Each room and each OTHER tile scores. The starting house is worth 2 points if you renovated it to clay.

We're sorry for the confusion.

But, I'm glad other folk are finding the rules intuitive. I didn't intend this thread to turn into a debate. I posted to clarify the rules which were a little fuzzy in my head, and was then asked to explain where the confusion came from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Johnson
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mb

Actually, I just re-read different section on page 5, Renovation: "Each clay room is worth 1 point at the end of the game."

I was about to edit or delete my post, but you've already replied. So, yeah, the statement on the last page "Game End and Scoring" seems to be ambiguous at best or contradictory with that section.

If the editor's interpretation is that starting house is 2 points after being converted to clay, I think I will just adopt that interpretation and announce it as a "house interpretation" at the beginning of play.

There also seems to be a textual mistake for Wind Mill: "Each harvest this improvement allows you to exchange 1 grain for 1 food."

That would be the same as "Eat Mush", which you can do without a windmill. The picture on the tile indicates 1x conversion to 3 food. I'm going with the picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.