Subject: Co-op play or with overlord? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
amper sand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
not seen this on the forum anywhere.
but ive not played this game for a while. one of the reasons being im always stuck as the overlord/Gm whatever game we are playing.

so was considering nabbing some of the co-op quests to back up the new road to legend stuff.

so simple question being really. how does the game fare as a co-op game versus playing with an overlord? is the way forwards for this game the co-op path?

just wondering on peoples thoughts or experiences

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cockrell
United States
Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was always stuck playing as OL if I could get a group at all. With the Road to Legend app alone, I can even play this game solo. The app, in my opinion, was a fantastic move for FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
Personal feeling is overlord is still the way to play, mostly because it lends itself better to the kind of storytelling experience you get when this game is at its best (though I'd love someone else taking on the role for a change).

Still, having the option to play co-op is nice every now and then and solo (especially The Delve) is brilliant for trying out the classes. RTL was a genuine masterstroke on FFG's part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ampersand78 wrote:
but ive not played this game for a while. one of the reasons being im always stuck as the overlord/Gm whatever game we are playing.

so was considering nabbing some of the co-op quests to back up the new road to legend stuff.

so simple question being really. how does the game fare as a co-op game versus playing with an overlord? is the way forwards for this game the co-op path?

thanks

Co-op map requires the least set up in my opinion as there are the same monsters and map tiles every time (for the most part). I recommend it if you take your stuff to other places to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overlord, hands down. We played the splig mini campaign and we will not start Kindred Fire. Instead we opted for another run of shadow of nerekhall.

Why don't you just let one of the other players be the overlord then. I hear this more often on BGG, but what's keeping the other players from being the overlord?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
Why don't you just let one of the other players be the overlord then. I hear this more often on BGG, but what's keeping the other players from being the overlord?

Nobody wants to be the overlord in my group. Before the app (& POD co-ops) came out if I wanted to play I had to be the overlord. The app makes this game so easy to set up and play, I have played easily twice as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ampersand78 wrote:

thanks

personally I play as the overlord, which is for me far more fun or solo. Both modes are ok, but the game was designed with the overlord in mind. There are some monster and hero abilities that don't make sense or outright don't work in coop so it will always be the inferior version of the game. Still worth playing though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I play a lot of Imperial Assault also, I can't help but compare the two. Here's my two cents:

Descent = Better Co-op.
Imperial Assault = Better with Overlord(Emperor)

Why?

Mostly because of the Descent activation mechanic. It's BORING for the Overlord waiting for 4 heroes to take their turn, especially if they suffer from AP. Sometimes Hero turns take 20-30 minutes, and if I have no Overlord cards to interrupt, I just sit there and wait until I need to roll defense dice. In Imperial Assault, the activations go back and forth, so it's not nearly as boring for the Overlord/Emperor player.

I'm finishing up a Mists of Bilehall Mini-campaign (that's taken over 20 HOURS) for my players to complete. I've been able to finish entire Imperial Assault full campaigns in 23-24 hours total, and with the same group of players.

I've decided that I no longer will play as the Overlord... if I'm hosting any more Descent groups, we'll either use RAMV/RAOV variant or the Road to Legend App.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
What other changes would need to happen to make Descent play in alternating turns like Imperial Assault?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cockrell
United States
Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
foxreinard wrote:
What other changes would need to happen to make Descent play in alternating turns like Imperial Assault?

A new edition, which I do not think will happen. Everything is balanced to the idea of how activation's work now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
If, as you say, everything is balanced to work with turn blocks (All heroes then Overlord) then the RtL app would not work since it operates with the alternating turn model in the current edition.

So my question remains a question. Who does the alternating turn model favour in a human overlord game? Evidence suggests it would be the Overlord. With playtesting and input I could probably work out a variant that is more balanced than simply changing the turn structure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cockrell
United States
Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
foxreinard wrote:
If, as you say, everything is balanced to work with turn blocks (All heroes then Overlord) then the RtL app would not work since it operates with the alternating turn model in the current edition.

So my question remains a question. Who does the alternating turn model favour in a human overlord game? Evidence suggests it would be the Overlord. With playtesting and input I could probably work out a variant that is more balanced than simply changing the turn structure.

I agree with your thought process, however, the RTL app actually has unique activation processes for the monsters that override the thought process of the O.L. This allows the monsters to alternate with the heroes which is not in any of the cards provided in box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RTL App and it's quests/campaign rules were designed with the alternating turn order in mind, so it works well within that space and ruleset.

The physical campaigns were designed & balanced with the turn order as written in the original rules. It would throw off the balance between Overlord and Heroes if the turn order was changed, unless there was another factor added to offset this balance difference. (Such as in RAMV variant, there are less automated Overlord "abilities" that appear, which sort of balances out the increased opportunity of monster attacks from having alternating activations)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bohde8781 wrote:
Since I play a lot of Imperial Assault also, I can't help but compare the two. Here's my two cents:

Descent = Better Co-op.
Imperial Assault = Better with Overlord(Emperor)

Why?

Mostly because of the Descent activation mechanic. It's BORING for the Overlord waiting for 4 heroes to take their turn, especially if they suffer from AP. Sometimes Hero turns take 20-30 minutes, and if I have no Overlord cards to interrupt, I just sit there and wait until I need to roll defense dice. In Imperial Assault, the activations go back and forth, so it's not nearly as boring for the Overlord/Emperor player.

I'm finishing up a Mists of Bilehall Mini-campaign (that's taken over 20 HOURS) for my players to complete. I've been able to finish entire Imperial Assault full campaigns in 23-24 hours total, and with the same group of players.

I've decided that I no longer will play as the Overlord... if I'm hosting any more Descent groups, we'll either use RAMV/RAOV variant or the Road to Legend App.

There is no reason not to use the IA activation system in Descent, I even made a simple ruleset for that and there is another one made by somebody else, it works with any issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
ampersand78 wrote:

I'd suggest against the game night co-op quests. Replacing the overlord with a couple decks of cards is really fiddly. Having a computer deal with that stuff really is a lot nicer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bucho22 wrote:
ampersand78 wrote:

I'd suggest against the game night co-op quests. Replacing the overlord with a couple decks of cards is really fiddly. Having a computer deal with that stuff really is a lot nicer.

I had no problem with these. In fact they are absolutely identical in fiddlines, digital version also just gives you a list of commands. The big advantage of it is that it is not limited to 4 monster types like the print versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
I find the PoD adventures are also pretty harsh about any delays. If you find Road to Legend is too easy, give these a try:

Dark Elements
Nature's Ire
Forgotten Souls

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amper sand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
opinion looks quite evenly divided.
i should probably have done a poll. having not played this game for a while i was considering getting a few expansions. and only having the base set. was hoping to find a path to go down. in order to help choose what expansions i chose to get first. ill be honest i'm still pretty clueless if a path is worthwhile venturing in terms of choosing to go predominantly co-op or not blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ampersand78 wrote:
opinion looks quite evenly divided.
i should probably have done a poll. having not played this game for a while i was considering getting a few expansions. and only having the base set. was hoping to find a path to go down. in order to help choose what expansions i chose to get first. ill be honest i'm still pretty clueless if a path is worthwhile venturing in terms of choosing to go predominantly co-op or not blush

You can get a lot of play out of the base box. As for expansions, they were designed with one vs all in mind, but all the monsters, heroes, equipment will work in coop too. They will also unlock new missions in road to legend so you will also use their tiles. So any boxed expansion is great for coop, buying lieutenants is pretty useless unless you are going to play the overlord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amper sand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i suppose thats a nice simple way to put it forwards.
thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.