13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Me and my family LOVE 7 wonders, what should we get next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jackson Gardner

Wisconsin
msg tools
Including myself, we are a family of 3. We have been playing with 7 wonders for a while and got all of the expansions. We love it because of the theme, beautiful artwork, card drafting, many ways to get victory points, ect. I'm not sure which board games or card games we should get next. I don't want to get any games with silly themes though. We also played dominion and seasons and liked those a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Dominion or Race for the Galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Notodden
Norway
Notodden
Telemark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for:

Abyss - Easy to teach and learn, but with a lot of depth (no pun intended).

Evolution - Great mechanisms and easy to understand gameplay.

Elysium - A bit heavier than 7 Wonders, Abyss and Evolution, but not by much. Similar look to 7 Wonders and a ton of content/strategies to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might like Deus. Similar theme. Card based. Multiple ways to score.

You'd probably like Elysium. Card drafting, tableau building, ancient gods themed.

Tokaido is by the same designer, I think, and lighter but really beautiful and pretty fun.

I like Ascension more than Dominion. Maybe try it and see which style you prefer.

I love Race for the Galaxy but am not just going to suggest everyone who likes seven wonders go out and buy it. You should definitely try it a few times though and see if you do like it. (Or buy it cause it's not that expensive ;P )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie & Ken Marshall
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your progression into gaming is very similar to what ours was and probably many others. Our next favorite games after Dominion and 7 Wonders were:

Castles of Burgundy
Lords of Waterdeep

Both are great and everyone we've introduced them to has loved them.

Happy Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just curious, what are "silly themes"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to what you see as silly themes: Do you want another card-drafting game? Same complexity? What number of players is ideal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Settlers - has some similarities to 7W - card drafting and resource collecting to build up your civilization (Roman, Egyptian, etc), little more complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cirillo
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The following are all just different enough from 7 Wonders that they should provide a great gaming experience:

Splendor

Ra

Traders of Osaka

All three are probably slightly less involved than 7 Wonders but are great games.

The next level of suggestion would be:

Puerto Rico

Stone Age

Agricola

Again, all are extremely enjoyable, with Agricola and Puerto Rico having slightly more going on than Stone Age.

Finally, our group has been having an absolute blast with Terraforming Mars, but it is a longer play than those listed above.

Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarklor wrote:
Including myself, we are a family of 3. We have been playing with 7 wonders for a while and got all of the expansions. We love it because of the theme, beautiful artwork, card drafting, many ways to get victory points, ect. I'm not sure which board games or card games we should get next. I don't want to get any games with silly themes though. We also played dominion and seasons and liked those a lot.

Among the Stars. Hands down. Same core mechanism as 7 Wonders, but adds spatial element.

+1 for The Castles of Burgundy too, just cuz I love that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik G
Netherlands
Waalre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 wonders is a really nice game, I love it as well. It really is a "family game" classic.

In the reactions above I see a lot of recommendations that are a step up. Different gameplay and more complex at the same time. I would recommend to choose some other family classics. They don't add complexity straight away, but introduce all kind of new mechanisms.

Games (classics) i would recommend are:
Ticket to Ride - all time classic
Stone Age - an introduction into worker-placement games
Pandemic - the most popular cooperative game
Catan - the game that started modern boardgaming. Still a great game.
Dixit - i don't know anybody who dislikes this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for slightly lighter fare check out Machi Koro and consider getting the expansion as well Machi Koro: Harbor Expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Splendor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.