Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Dorton
United States
Norton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I incorrect in thinking I can just send one guy to an area that has a lot of trog tokens....to get all of those tokens to be flipped and trogs added to a battle.. (and lose obviously) and then... only one token would be there the next turn? That kinda seems wonky to me if that's how it'll all work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BBBD77 wrote:
Am I incorrect in thinking I can just send one guy to an area that has a lot of trog tokens....to get all of those tokens to be flipped and trogs added to a battle.. (and lose obviously) and then... only one token would be there the next turn? That kinda seems wonky to me if that's how it'll all work.

It will work, but I'm not sure it's worth the action, unless the area has a lot of crystals to control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That would have been nice to have in the rules. Especially in my game on Friday when I ended up facing a region with 6 Trogs in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WonderCinz wrote:
That would have been nice to have in the rules. Especially in my game on Friday when I ended up facing a region with 6 Trogs in it.

It is in the rules. Not this specific strategic play, but there aren't any rules that prevent it, and following the rules there is no reason this would not work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
WonderCinz wrote:

It is in the rules. Not this specific strategic play, but there aren't any rules that prevent it, and following the rules there is no reason this would not work.

It's in the rules that all the Trog minis go away when they retain control?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WonderCinz wrote:
jmathias wrote:
WonderCinz wrote:

Only in a 2 and 3 player game, but yes it is.

Page 11

Quote:
Trog exception: In a 2-3 player game, if the Trogs win the Region Control Objective, do not place a Control token, but place
a Trog Nest token face down instead.
Also, if Trog Units must retreat, remove the Units from the board and place a Trog Nest token face down in any adjacent uncontrolled Region. Trog Nest tokens add more Trog Units to the Region when revealed!

And further clarification in the FAQ

Quote:
Q: If the Trogs win Region Control in a 2-3 player game, what happens to the miniatures?
A: The miniatures are removed and replaced with a Trog Nest token (orange), the same as if you must retreat surviving Trog units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
WonderCinz wrote:
jmathias wrote:
WonderCinz wrote:

Only in a 2 and 3 player game, but yes it is.

Page 11

Quote:
Trog exception: In a 2-3 player game, if the Trogs win the Region Control Objective, do not place a Control token, but place
a Trog Nest token face down instead.
Also, if Trog Units must retreat, remove the Units from the board and place a Trog Nest token face down in any adjacent uncontrolled Region. Trog Nest tokens add more Trog Units to the Region when revealed!

And further clarification in the FAQ

Quote:
Q: If the Trogs win Region Control in a 2-3 player game, what happens to the miniatures?
A: The miniatures are removed and replaced with a Trog Nest token (orange), the same as if you must retreat surviving Trog units.

I wouldn't say that the page 11 quote tells you to make the minis go away, but the FAQ is clear. Thanks for the references.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dorton
United States
Norton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As always thanks for the replies... That's the way I read it to work as well. -Cheers. Great game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 'wonky:' On the other hand, if the Trog Reserve is empty, you don't encounter anything, but lose one unit for each Trog token flipped that does not place any Trogs (Grant).

In this case, with only one actual unit invading the Region, would you stop flipping them after the single unit is destroyed, or continue to flip them all? Hmmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Re: 'wonky:' On the other hand, if the Trog Reserve is empty, you don't encounter anything, but lose one unit for each Trog token flipped that does not place any Trogs (Grant).

In this case, with only one actual unit invading the Region, would you stop flipping them after the single unit is destroyed, or continue to flip them all? Hmmm...

My guess would be to stop flipping them after the unit is lost, but I'm not 100% on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
chas59 wrote:

My guess would be to stop flipping them after the unit is lost, but I'm not 100% on that.

Flip all tokens.
Resolve all of them.
Remove all and replace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
jmathias wrote:
chas59 wrote:

Flip all tokens.
Resolve all of them.
Remove all and replace.

No offense, but that seems like an odd ruling. This allows a single unit to clear a territory rife with Trog nests/war parties, add a bunch of Crystals and "reset" the Region to a single Trog threat, with a large cache of Crystals. Which takes away the tension and strategy of blocking off a region with multiple Trog tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
jmathias wrote:
chas59 wrote:

Flip all tokens.
Resolve all of them.
Remove all and replace.

No offense, but that seems like an odd ruling. This allows a single unit to clear a territory rife with Trog nests/war parties, add a bunch of Crystals and "reset" the Region to a single Trog threat, with a large cache of Crystals. Which takes away the tension and strategy of blocking off a region with multiple Trog tokens.

So, we're largely arguing over hypotheticals here. At most, TYPICALLY, there will be 3 Trog tokens in a single region. If you keep jamming them up? Nobody in their right mind will go in.

As they are Trog Nests, they won't add more crystals. So, we're talking about someone wasting an action, and a recruit, to clear a space, that they will then have to have units set aside to move into in future rounds before somebody else does.

The only person who profits from this is the Machine, with Firepower, and only if they have the Units to kill enough Trogs.

When you enter a region, you reveal tokens. You resolve them.

That's the rule.

I'd rather not introduce an exception -- which people will yell at me about -- for this rare case.

But, I don't live in your game room. So, if you see this situation, and it offends you? By all means, ignore me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.