Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
joshua danley
United States
chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
if my co pilots dies does the engineer have to replace them right away?
the rules say that one man can fly the plane in an emergency but nothing beyond that.....

other thing is if the engineer doesn't have to and then the pilot dies(which happens alot in my games.......) does he have time to move to the controls or is he sol?

......hmm come to think of it it might be a good idea to get down there just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris reichl

Appleton
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshua,

Figured I'd offer some help. Rules say ANY crewman can help if Pilot or Copilot are KIA or seriously wounded. HOWEVER, If Pilot AND Copilot are seriously wounded and KIA you have to abort the mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
There is this one rule, that doesn't allow one man to fly the plane alone and there is another one, which says the first to replace a pilot must be the engineer.

The first rule can be bend a bit, when there is an emergency, though the rules don't state any example for this. I once encountered a situation where my engineer was firing at incoming FW190s, while one pilot was knocked out. That's when the plane was flown by one man alone for the duration of one wave of enemy fighters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua danley
United States
chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
thanks for th quick replys my only remaining question is what would have happened on the off chance that your pilot was killed during that "one wave" that he was flying alone.....can the engineer get to the controls b4 they crash or is it an uncontrolled bailout?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how complex/difficult is this game to learn/work through? On a scale of one to five, one being easy and five being advanced squad leader-ish.

thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua danley
United States
chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
only five points to asl complexity?!?

uhmmm id rate B-17 at less than a 1 on that scale......

its a great game and the rules are pretty str8 forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua danley
United States
chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
really detailed though too in the amount of things that can happen to your bomber........
lots of chart referencing and a little bit of record keeping

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
solitear wrote:
thanks for th quick replys my only remaining question is what would have happened on the off chance that your pilot was killed during that "one wave" that he was flying alone.....can the engineer get to the controls b4 they crash or is it an uncontrolled bailout?
From my understanding of the rules, I think I would have to get two guys to the cockpit immediatly, one of which must be the engineer. The top turret was located just behind the cockpit, so it shouldn't take too much time for him to get there and the plane might still be stable.

asgelb wrote:
how complex/difficult is this game to learn/work through? On a scale of one to five, one being easy and five being advanced squad leader-ish.

thanks!
It's a very easy game. It does take some time to get used to the solitaire mechanic, but once you are then the game flows smoothly. Game time is also rather short, but it depends on the mission. A (horror) flight to La Rochelle might take up to 2 hours for you, in case you have to return out of formation with two engines out.

On the classic Avalon Hill scale raning from one (War at Sea) to ten (ASL), I guess it was rated something between 3 to 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
solitear wrote:

Joshua,
I have read that there were times when the pilot and copilot were both killed and the plane continued to fly straight and level for miles. There was one I just read where one crewmember, tail gunner I think, finally went forward and all the crew had bailed and he was the only one left on board. He figured he had been alone for over an hour from his last communications with anyone. He just figured the intercom was out.

In the heat of battle it could take quite a while till anyone knew that the plane wasn't being flown anymore. Or it could be instantaneously. Depending if the fatally wounded pilots froze at the stick or let go of it. Also the current damage to the plane would have an effect to the ships stability. I have always thought that a plane where both pilots were killed should have a good chance to have been out of formation due to it going out of control. The only problem is, there is no real data on the percentages of these situations. Let me think on this and I'll post something later.

I would say for now, let the gunners finish the current wave of German fighters then in this order move crewmembers to the cockpit; Engineer, Bombardier, Navigator, anyone else. Reasons, Engineer is right there, Bombardier is usually a pilot washout, Navigator were usually also trained as pilots too. Just make sure you bail everyone one else out over base before attempting to land with a non-pilot crewmember. That way you won’t loose all you crew if the inevitable happens.

Good flying,
Jim P cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua danley
United States
chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
that tailgunner must of sh@% himself.............thanks for clearing things up and im interested in what u come up with.

i also never thought about a partial bailout....good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Abbott
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The B-17 had an auto-pilot for flying straight and level. In action, during a bombing run, the pilot had to turn on the auto-pilot so that the bombadier had a steady platform to set the Norden bombsite from.

Something that B-17: Queen of the Skies missed, BTW, is that navigators were usually pilot candidates who washed out during flying school. You might want to consider giving the navigator the same piloting ability as the engineer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls