$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Winner's Circle» Forums » General

Subject: Quality of New Version and Comparison to Biblios rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Boyko
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering picking up the new version of this game. The horses and money appear to be a significant improvement over previous versions. However, the board looks like a very old style with the concave rather than perfect seam. Does anyone have anything to say about the overall quality of the latest version?

Also, I'm mainly considering this game because I think it may be a good start to a child-friendly branch of my collection. My daughter is two and I expect she may be able to play this when she is five. It seems a bit light for my tastes, but from what I have read, I appreciate the elegance of the rules. It seems like it might feel similar to one of my favorite lighter games, Biblios in terms of the bluffing and simple decisions. Can anyone comment on this? Is it as interesting for 2 players as Biblios is?

Thanks in advance!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
NASA Dawn approaching Ceres
mbmbmbmbmb
I am happy with the new edition. The horses appear to be the same plastic sculpts as the previous edition, with some paint applied. Some of the numbers are a bit hard to see, but they can be inked in black. The money is very nice. I didn't notice a problem with the board. You can play any version of the previous editions with the components included. To me this is the definitive edition (if shelf space isn't a problem).

I'm not sure this is a 5YO's game though. I'm sure she could roll the dice and move the pieces, but the gambling aspect, and game decisions would be beyond her. My 7YO can play it, not that well yet, and finds it a bit dull.

I've only played Biblios once and can barely remember it.

6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
There are twelve of us, Sire, and I place all the resources of my people unreservedly at your Majesty's disposal.
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:


I'm not sure this is a 5YO's game though. I'm sure she could roll the dice and move the pieces, but the gambling aspect, and game decisions would be beyond her. My 7YO can play it, not that well yet, and finds it a bit dull.


Absoutely spot on! I can't imagine anyone under 10 playing this and enjoying it.

Winner's Circle is my second favourite game. Biblios I tolerate. I've struggled and struggled, but I can't think of much of anything the two games have in common.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Boyko
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments. I guess I am overestimating a child's ability to play this. In any case, it appears to be a good early game, whatever age children start to grok strategy games. That's what is important to me as the majority of my collection is presently much more advanced.

Earlier this evening I saw Boardgamebliss had three copies of the game. The next time I checked a few hours later they had only one, so I bought the game in haste as it has been on my wishlist for years. We'll see if that was a good decision or not. I'll answer my own question regarding similarity to Biblios once we have played the game a few times.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios and Winner's Circle are kind of apples and oranges anyway. I don't think I'd ever play Winner's Circle with less than 4 (best with 5 or 6), whereas Biblios is good between 2 - 4 people.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xxeyes wrote:
Thanks for the comments. I guess I am overestimating a child's ability to play this. In any case, it appears to be a good early game, whatever age children start to grok strategy games. That's what is important to me as the majority of my collection is presently much more advanced.

Earlier this evening I saw Boardgamebliss had three copies of the game. The next time I checked a few hours later they had only one, so I bought the game in haste as it has been on my wishlist for years. We'll see if that was a good decision or not. I'll answer my own question regarding similarity to Biblios once we have played the game a few times.


So *you're* the one the bought the last copy.
4 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Boyko
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
xxeyes wrote:
Thanks for the comments. I guess I am overestimating a child's ability to play this. In any case, it appears to be a good early game, whatever age children start to grok strategy games. That's what is important to me as the majority of my collection is presently much more advanced.

Earlier this evening I saw Boardgamebliss had three copies of the game. The next time I checked a few hours later they had only one, so I bought the game in haste as it has been on my wishlist for years. We'll see if that was a good decision or not. I'll answer my own question regarding similarity to Biblios once we have played the game a few times.


So *you're* the one the bought the last copy. :D


Haha, yeah sorry! Maybe BGB just got their copies early and more will be arriving to other game stores soon...?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If thinking about playing with kids, try Drachenhort instead. Quite similar in concept (and, ahem, designer) and my 6- and 8-year-olds love it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick C.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh. I missed it on BGB. Anyone want to sell me their (new) copy? I will pay an extra $10 for your trouble. I'd like to give it as a secret santa gift.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.