• [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imitated but never duplicated.

Stellar Horizon was kind of on my radar, but I don't know enough about it to justify the price.

Space Corp looks interesting but it doesn't look like medium complexity. I do like the high solitaire rating though.

Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why are these games being attributed to Joe? There are many "space race" games out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
gar0u wrote:
Imitated but never duplicated.

Stellar Horizon was kind of on my radar, but I don't know enough about it to justify the price.

Space Corp looks interesting but it doesn't look like medium complexity. I do like the high solitaire rating though.

Thanks for sharing.

I agree on both games. I own wargames by both companies, so I know they can produce good products. But I will stick with "Leaving Earth".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Games aren't new, even from these companies.

Regardless Stellar Horizon looks insane. Read that description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
Otago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm, they are both incredibly ugly (while Leaving Earth is not perfect but quite good overall with some awesome illustrations).

I am a bit sceptical about the 139 turns of Stellar Horizon and for Space Corp:
Quote:
Assemble a spaceport at a LeGrange Point.

Are they speaking of Lagrange points with a misspelling name in the first line of their presentation or I am missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

loquitur wrote:
Why are these games being attributed to Joe? There are many "space race" games out there.

Well then call me ignorant of the other space race games out there. Perhaps my attention has been "tuned-in" since buying Leaving Earth. My perception is that there's been a recent rash of space race games lately, just as there seems to be a recent rash of Mars-themed games.

But since Leaving Earth is the first true space race game that I know of, I figure it's success is on the leading edge of other similar games. And yes, I'm aware of High Frontier, but is that a realistic Space Race game? (I don't know... I was planning on buying it when the new edition eventually gets released, but with the advent of the two games I listed in my OP, I probably won't, now).

I hope I answered your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Durango
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll keep an eye on both, but first impressions...

Space Corp is designed by John Butterfield, which is a huge plus AFAIC. But it looks more like a card game and that's a minus for me.

Stellar Horizon, I'm not sure it knows what it wants to be. Science, real physics and a tech tree, but then cruisers and battleships.... Space Exploration or Space Opera?

With LE on my table and these games in development I'm rapidly losing interest in High Frontier (3rd edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, John Butterfield was enough for me to P500. High Frontier still has that fanta-bu-lo-rrific-acious map, so I'll always be interested in that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't really review games anymore, but when I did I created this list:

The moon is a gentle mistress

Someone should add a review and link for Leaving Earth to my list.

bgm1961 wrote:

loquitur wrote:

Well then call me ignorant of the other space race games out there. Perhaps my attention has been "tuned-in" since buying Leaving Earth. My perception is that there's been a recent rash of space race games lately, just as there seems to be a recent rash of Mars-themed games.

But since Leaving Earth is the first true space race game that I know of, I figure it's success is on the leading edge of other similar games. And yes, I'm aware of High Frontier, but is that a realistic Space Race game? (I don't know... I was planning on buying it when the new edition eventually gets released, but with the advent of the two games I listed in my OP, I probably won't, now).

I hope I answered your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing that Leaving Earth does that I haven't yet found any other game doing is the combination of:

- you get to design your own spacecraft from components
- you get to design your own mission plans
- reaction mass actually matters in a physical way, it isn't just a "range" parameter on your spacecraft

I did a solo session of Outer Planets yesterday, and when my ion-drive Grand Tour probe was about to leave Jupiter fly-by I realised I could detach those ion drives and bring them home via Outer Planets Transfer and an aerobrake back to Earth Orbit, while letting the probes carry on to Neptune. (I'll post a session report some time.)

I haven't yet played High Frontier - I'm waiting for the 3e kickstarter to deliver, ho ho - but the impression I get of the other games mentioned here is that they don't go as far down into the rocket science as Leaving Earth manages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Firedrake wrote:
The thing that Leaving Earth does that I haven't yet found any other game doing is the combination of:

- you get to design your own spacecraft from components
- you get to design your own mission plans
- reaction mass actually matters in a physical way, it isn't just a "range" parameter on your spacecraft

I did a solo session of Outer Planets yesterday, and when my ion-drive Grand Tour probe was about to leave Jupiter fly-by I realised I could detach those ion drives and bring them home via Outer Planets Transfer and an aerobrake back to Earth Orbit, while letting the probes carry on to Neptune. (I'll post a session report some time.)

I haven't yet played High Frontier - I'm waiting for the 3e kickstarter to deliver, ho ho - but the impression I get of the other games mentioned here is that they don't go as far down into the rocket science as Leaving Earth manages.

Both High Frontier and Liftoff! have all the characteristics you describe. They just have different overall scopes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Steve. It's been years since I played Liftoff; my memory says it was very fixed in terms of the missions you could do and the hardware you could use for them, but I may well be wrong. (That it doesn't really go beyond cislunar space obviously limits the options too.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Yes, you're right. The missions are much more fixed in Liftoff! There is actually more hardware available in Liftoff! than Leaving Earth, but not by a much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are flyby missions to other planets in Liftoff!. (Without the hyperlink, my !. looks weird, but I didn't want to end on the exclamation).

Firedrake wrote:
Thanks, Steve. It's been years since I played Liftoff; my memory says it was very fixed in terms of the missions you could do and the hardware you could use for them, but I may well be wrong. (That it doesn't really go beyond cislunar space obviously limits the options too.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
...Space Corp is designed by John Butterfield, which is a huge plus AFAIC...

Yeah, I also have a lot of respect for John Butterfield. But I'm a bit jaded these days on wargame companies that produce really expensive games "that can be played solitaire." I'm very glad I discovered The Lumenaris Group. Small company, products made in the US, a game designer who responds to customer questions in forums like this one--those are pluses for me.

The money I have available for game purchases has shrunk a lot in recent years. I'm inclined to spend less of it on hyper-complex wargames with "high solitaire playability" and more on other types of solitaire games from other types of companies.

There are a [very] few solitaire wargames on my list, such as The Hunted, Awakening the Bear [2nd edition] and maybe Legion of Honor, but beyond that I don't see anything from the wargame companies that interests me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
WBRP wrote:
Yup, John Butterfield was enough for me to P500. High Frontier still has that fanta-bu-lo-rrific-acious map, so I'll always be interested in that.

John Butterfield has developed a then-superb space exploration game "Voyage of the BSM Pandora". (I have ported that to PC).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies and… Read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
loquitur wrote:
There are flyby missions to other planets in Liftoff!. (Without the hyperlink, my !. looks weird, but I didn't want to end on the exclamation).

Firedrake wrote:

You can play it on the computer, too! Great fun head-to-head or solitaire!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.