Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Silver Bayonet: The First Team in Vietnam, 1965 (25th Anniversary Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: LZ Mary rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Lloyd
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
World Champs!!....again
badge
Forgot me velcro gloves again...
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the LZ Mary scenario after having a couple of plays of Tea Time. Got an emphatic win to FWA 7-2. The NVA initially crossed the river after losing a step in the first turn ambush.They attacked the LZ in an uncoordinated assault from the West and lost another step while inflicting one loss on the CIDG unit.The FWA got another round and managed another step loss. Next turn the FWA received an inf coy as a reinforcement and declared a maneuver attack against the NVA.

The FWA launched an air strike with no effect and then failed the coordination roll. It didn't affect the attack too much as the FWA rolled low and wiped the NVA unit out.One company of inf advanced into the enemy hex so it would force the reinforcing NVA units to attack across the river.

The newly arrived NVA units moved adjacent to the LZ and declared an assault. The mortar section bombarded the LZ and managed to kill the CIDG unit. The FWA then used Defender Reaction to move the advanced inf coy back to the LZ. The NVA failed their coordination roll horribly and had the maximum +3drm. Another FWA airstrike was unsuccessful. The assault didn't go well for the NVA they lost another step without inflicting any more. Both sides failed to attack again and it was game over.

I really enjoyed this one, there was a bit of movement and I got to try out a maneuver attack so I'm starting to get the hang of the mechanics. It's going to be pretty wild when there's both types of attack happening at once but the sequence of play is clear so it's pretty easy to follow through with the various subsystems. I still haven't played on the main map yet, that is going to be savoured, it's a true thing of beauty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are you playing solo? If so, I'm especially interested in hearing your views on playing the big campaign solo. I'm struggling to see how that will work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT had the campaigns rated a two on the solitaire scale. Due to the hidden information the campaigns would not be very friendly solitaire. But I would like to know too from someone who has played it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too as I stayed away from the P500 because of the potential solo issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played some of the non-campaign scenarios solo and it went quite well. I'm thinking that to make the campaign playable solo I will have to change the rules significantly. Perhaps the first time a friendly unit enters a hex you roll dice to see if an enemy is within sight. If so, roll again to see which in sight hex they are in. Something like that, anyway. I'll give it a try eventually to see how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sherron wrote:
GMT had the campaigns rated a two on the solitaire scale. Due to the hidden information the campaigns would not be very friendly solitaire. But I would like to know too from someone who has played it that way.

I'm just getting started clipping and reading the rules, but the game says it's for one or two players. Don't know if the campaign can be played solo yet however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Basil Hilder KIA Lone Pine, Gallipoli
mbmbmbmbmb
Need some more light on your photos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmb
tomster wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
Cisco Serret wrote:
tomster wrote:

I hope this sort of small map scenario development becomes the new standard. These super small scenarios allowed 3 of us to pretty much master the combat system, both assault and maneuver, along with all the bombardment, air defense, etc.

Having now played a couple of longer scenarios, including a couple of turns of the short campaign scenario, it was nice not having to even _think_ about how to conduct combat, the decision being whether to fight or not, and that's how it should be.

And yes I'm happy to pay more for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Donoso
msg tools
About playing solo: one thing I find works well is to use a die to determine observation points. For example, if there are 4 nearby hidden units, roll 1d4 to determine which one you will reveal. If you have trouble being consistent with observation strategy when you shouldn't know what is there..... you can also try setting up an if/then flow chart similar to the non-player charts in the COIN series. Are your units protecting an asset worth VP? Are there 2 or more concealed units? Then Observation is a priority, more helicopters than threats? Use choppers to observe, etc....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.