Carmila Cho
msg tools
Hi there! We are a group of students researching for the development of a board game idea. We need your help and support to make it possible!

Thank you for taking the time to help us!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSep4T6s3yCScsaZQKA_...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Took your survey, but you should really avoid compound questions, the answers to which yield ambiguous data.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmila Cho
msg tools
Thank you so much for the feedback, we will inform the editor to modify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJRR_Esq wrote:
Took your survey, but you should really avoid compound questions, the answers to which yield ambiguous data.
And number your questions so I can tell you which one has a typo.

It's the one that says No Important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmila Cho
msg tools
Hi Warren! We numbered them. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll really want to give at least one more option than "Male" and "Female" for gender (like "Other" for example). There are a lot of people who will not answer your survey if these are the only options and the question is required. And not all of them are trans- or intergender. Many are just friends, who will happily enter Male of Female, as long as at least a third inclusive option is available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1676259/survey-regardin...

Classmate of yours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmila Cho
msg tools
Adrian, Sorry for causing this inconvenience. Thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmila Cho
msg tools
Adrian: Nope. XD: Students are everywhere!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
You'll really want to give at least one more option than "Male" and "Female" for gender (like "Other" for example). There are a lot of people who will not answer your survey if these are the only options and the question is required. And not all of them are trans- or intergender. Many are just friends, who will happily enter Male of Female, as long as at least a third inclusive option is available.

Define a lot?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:

Define a lot?!?

Statistically significant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
saturnkk wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:

Define a lot?!?

Somehow I really doubt that it would be. Seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
your survey requires people to answer the questions about what you would do if you have kids 5-14 even after you answer that you do not have kids
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gimo Barrera
United States
Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
We should take Bikini Bottom
badge
and push it somewhere else
mbmbmbmbmb
carolingiach wrote:
Hi there! We are a group of students researching for the development of a board game idea. We need your help and support to make it possible!

I really hope your research is for making duel disks a real thing. ***fingers crossed***
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Davidson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few more points:

Question 8 (How much money would you consider reasonable to spend on a boardgame) is a bit too general. There are types of games which even though I enjoy and like I would still think it's not reasonable to spend even your lower limit of $40 on, and there are other games where I would certainly find (and sometimes do find) $70 to be very reasonable for what I expect to get. I had to pick what would, for me, be a sort of an average and somewhat representative game, but that one isn't necessarily what others would consider for the same purpose, and even in my case there is a lot of variability in my (admittedly large) collection.

This was mentioned before, but question 11 (if you have children 5-14) is still required, which means that you probably have a lot of false/meaningless data for it already. The sooner you could turn it optional (or add an "I don't have them" additional answer) the better.

For question 12 you miss the very clear option to match "I won't pay $100 for this AND also I don't have any problems whatsoever playing boardgames with smartphones/tablets". The question sort of assumes that anyone who is fine with smartphones/tablets is boardgames is automatically interested in paying at least $100 to remove the need to look at the screen of those tablets/smartphones, which is a very odd assumption.

Also for question 12 you write "tables" instead of "tablets". I think you will find very very few people here on BGG who have no interest in playing boardgames with tables. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Buffagni
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gimodude wrote:
carolingiach wrote:

I really hope your research is for making duel disks a real thing. ***fingers crossed***

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
saturnkk wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:

Define a lot?!?

That's not what that term means. BUT....

If you mean "Statistically significantly not zero", then you are undoubtedly correct.

But it is more likely to mean "leaving out a non-binary male/female gender would lead to statistically significant difference in the results" then you would probably be incorrect, as the numbers would be really low compared to binary male and female answers.

My inner pedant aside though, they really should add a third option as well as a "prefer to not answer".

EDIT: And they did!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Number 1: Odd you choose those that you do. Just add each continent, so South America and Africa aren't "other".

Number 2: Age groups aren't equal, which leads to number weirdness. Just make it 10-19, and add 60-69, 70-79, 80 and above.

Number 5: Odd you have 0 at the end. Put it first, make each answer equal intervals (1-2, 3-4, 5-6, etc. instead of 1, 2-3, 4-5, 6+, never)

Number 8: Odd choices for money categories. Under 40 can encompass many categories, as a $15 game is not the same as a $35 game. Make it in categories by $10.

Number 10: Weird.

Number 11 is a bit of a mess grammatically and it is obviously a leading and unbiased question.

"If you have children aged from 5-14 always playing and eyes glued on the computer tablet screen, Would you prefer to let them play board games instead?"

Should be something like:
"If you have children aged 5-14 who have time on a computer tablet screen, would you prefer that be replaced with time playing board games?"

And the answers should just be:
Yes
No
Both ok
Leave out the opinions on it that I definitely do not have.

Number 12, lots going on in this question, making it impossible to know what they are answering. Also, what is up with "I would pay +100USD" instead of just saying "I would pay 100 USD"?

ALSO....no capitalization after a comma.

There are some odd turns of phrases and sentence structure in this that could be corrected for clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmila Cho
msg tools
Yaron, thanks for the suggestion. Definitely "tablet"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.