Subject: Upgrading Zero Level Cards? : SOLVED rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When upgrading 0 lvl Blinding Light to a 2 lvl Blinding Light will it cost me 1xp or 2xp? 0 lvl cards are considered to have the minimum cost of 1 and COST not lvl is what is compared when upgrading a card. So 2cost minus 1cost leaves 1xp to pay for the upgrade? Thanks in advance and apologies if this question has been asked before!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dursch
United States
Farmersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Upgrading Zero Level Cards?
My interpretation of the rules is from this paragraph on page 5 of Campaign Play, 2c:

When purchasing a higher level version of a card with the same title, the investigator may choose to "upgrade" that card by paying only the difference in experience (to a MINIMUM of 1) between the two cards and removing the lower level version of the card from his or her deck.

So, you are forced to replace the named card with it's lower version, but in turn get the better card for 1 XP.

edit: Well...i guess if the designer says so, it trumps this...but it goes against what their own wording says XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been asked. The answer is 2 XP.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1670913/upgrading-level-0-ca...

To upgrade a card of the same name, you take the level of the card you are buying and subtract the level of your current card. Pay that number in experience. You put the new card in your deck and take the old card out.

If you are putting something else in, you pay the level in experience. If it is a level 0 card, you must pay 1 XP - this is an exception to everything else. You put the new card in your deck and must take something out for it. You don't get refunded any XP for anything removed from your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fyxsius wrote:
edit: Well...i guess if the designer says so, it trumps this...but it goes against what their own wording says XD

In the campaign scenario book when it talks about moving into the 2nd scenario it's a bit clearer as to how to do it. There it refers to it as the difference in levels, not the difference in experience like what you quoted - which is why everyone has asked the 1xp vs 2xp question.

It makes sense though, as otherwise no one would ever take a level one card upgrade when level two would be the same cost, assuming we eventually have level 1 and 2 upgrades of the same card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replys!
I guess it's good that this has OFFICIALLY been cleared up? The rules seem to offer a pretty clear contradiction and I choose the 2 minus 1 interpretation because it seemed very thematic for an upgrade of an already existing card to get a discount as opposed to adding a brand spanking new element at full price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AccidentalCultist wrote:
Thanks for the replys!
I guess it's good that this has OFFICIALLY been cleared up? The rules seem to offer a pretty clear contradiction and I choose the 2 minus 1 interpretation because it seemed very thematic for an upgrade of an already existing card to get a discount as opposed to adding a brand spanking new element at full price.

It was already cleared up in the rulebook. They also gave a specific example in one of their preview articles.

Talents and Talismans Article wrote:
Furthermore, you cannot include more than two copies of a given card by title, meaning that if you start with two copies of Lucky! in your deck and decide to spend two of your experience to purchase a level-two version of the card (Core Set, 84), you have to remove one of the level zero copies.

To upgrade Lucky! costs 2 because the difference between a level 0 card and a level 2 card is 2. The rulebook could have been clearer on that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dursch
United States
Farmersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
supermarino wrote:
Fyxsius wrote:

In the campaign scenario book when it talks about moving into the 2nd scenario it's a bit clearer as to how to do it. There it refers to it as the difference in levels, not the difference in experience like what you quoted - which is why everyone has asked the 1xp vs 2xp question.

It makes sense though, as otherwise no one would ever take a level one card upgrade when level two would be the same cost, assuming we eventually have level 1 and 2 upgrades of the same card.

Campaign book also tells you to look for more info in the rules reference which seems to be the end all be all of the rules compendium...so I don't know. Still didn't connect the dots with this.

The only thing I can think is that they meant is that the minimum they are talking about is that you can only receive a discount to make the final cost spent a minimum of 1 (no free upgrades for however that would have even been possible?!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.