Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mb
What is the advantage of paperboy if the sheriff is not around? I get that he makes you go first but beside breaking ties for duels (which is actually significant), going first doesn't seem to do much in the game. Am I missing something?

Also do you take the character it copy, preventing others to use it? or do you simply mention which character it copy? And if that's the case, can you copy someone else's character?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These questions were discussed in this thread: Paperboy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks! Still unsure what the advantage of going first though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ruhe
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
couteaupapillon wrote:
Thanks! Still unsure what the advantage of going first though.

Well, going first potentially means that you use up your meeples more quickly than anyone else and can therefore pass sooner while still sticking plenty of meeples on the board, ensuring you get an earlier pick of the characters next round. That's one advantage I can think of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mb
True, make sense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weston
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, going first allows you to put your cowboy on a particular action space you want, forcing others to duel you for it if they want it. In higher player count games, turn order matters a lot. If you're last, four or five spaces on the board could already be taken before you get to place a cowboy.

So the Paperboy allows you to take a role that would ordinarily come later in the turn order, use its power, and still go first in placing cowboys. In a 2-3p game, that's not terribly useful. But with more players, it's a juicy option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glweston wrote:
The Paperboy allows you to take a role that would ordinarily come later in the turn order, use its power, and still go first in placing cowboys. In a 2-3p game, that's not terribly useful. But with more players, it's a juicy option.

Is the main downside of the Paperboy (yellow side) that you pay the $3 to take another role card?

That is, am I correct that the Paperboy gets the money limit of the card that it copies? The rules say, "You apply the abilities of that new character as per usual, including its money limit" but also "Cash limit: $0."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mb
It seems clear to me that you take the money limit of the new character. If you didn't, then that 3$ would be a steep price for what Paperboy does
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.