Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Lee
United States
Kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in April I acquired some new woodworking tools so I decided to design and build a game table. I had never taken on a project of this size before and I wasn't sure my skilled where equal to the task. My wife suggested I start small so I created a smaller kid table to start with. That turned out well so with that confidence boost I went and picked up some rough lumber.

I started with the legs, which turned out to a more difficult design then I anticipated.

It took about 60 hours to shape the legs and most of that time was hand tools to get notch out the corners.

Custom molding was a new attempt for me. Rather then spend a lot on a router bit I tried using the table saw instead. Gradually raising the blade and making several passes turned out okay. It just needed split in half and a good sanding.

Gluing and clamping...

First assembly

and fully assembled

Had to make cup holders

Then the disassembly for sanding and finishing

Finishing takes way to long. I didn't want to play any games until the table was done at this point and so it was several weeks without gaming.

The final table

The first game. The best part is the game vault and how dice don't roll off the table.

It took 6 months to complete and that was probably 20 hours a week. I learned a lot. To finish this off I have a neoprene play surface on order. I look forward to adding that in the next few weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fucking beautiful job. Fantastic.

Did you choose Risk for the maiden voyage? Or just for the pictures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Huber
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Impressive....well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice! I like the "smuggler compartment" design, so you don't have to tear down your game when the wife wants the dining room table back. And the swing out cupbolders are a very nice safety feature

Only thing I'd change is the height, for play either standing or on bar stools (I sit too much at work so standing play is actually good for me).

Envious!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Allen
United States
La Canada Flintridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really a beautiful job. Now that I have finished my very rough retrofitting of an IKEA tsble, I would like to move up to replacing our old dining room table with something like this. But I am not confident my skills are there, yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lee
United States
Kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually in the basement in a dedicated gaming area. The table too leafs are to hide an in progress game for the occasion we need to entertain and don't want to lose progress. Also the cup holders don't swing out. The go into a rail system. I will likely add other accessories later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.