Subject: Agnes Ability - multiple enemies and attack of opportunity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Little
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I have Agnes Baker. I have 2 enemies, each can deal 1 horror and 1 health damage. The other has 1 health left.

Can I for example, play a card, let the monster with no damage hit me for 1 dmg and 1 horror and then use Agnes ability to kill the second monster with 1 health left before he gets to AoO me?

Also, does the same apply with a card that can deal a horror to myself? For example forbidden knowledge I can take 1 horror for a resource. Can I then whack the enemy with 1 health left before it hits me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first question, Agnes ability, I think you are good.

You trigger Attacks of Opportunity from the two monsters, first one lands, dealing you one damage and one horror. This triggers your ability to deal 1 damage to a monster on your location, so you choose the monster who hasn't dealt damage yet. It dies and leaves the field before having the opportunity to use its AoO. I agree that makes sense and seems to follow all the timing rules I see. The trigger for Agnes ability goes off when you receive damage, so that's when it would inject itself into the normal flow of things, and the monster dying would stop it from being able to deal damage.

Forbidden Knowledge is a fast action, so it doesn't trigger an AoO. So yes, you can hit it before it hits you, but it would never hit you for this.

Theoretically, if there was another card like Forbidden Knowledge, but wasn't fast, you would not hit him before he hit you. As you would initiate the action, then trigger the AoO, and receive one damage and one horror from the monster. Then you complete the action and would gain one horror (again, assuming some "slow" Forbidden Knowledge card).

The relevant rule parts are under Triggered Ability, Attack of Opportunity, and Fast, depending on what you're looking for. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understood the Forbidden Knowledge part to just mean "can I take 1 Horror from using a charge of Forbidden and deal damage"? The answer to that is yes, absolutely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Little
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
I understood the Forbidden Knowledge part to just mean "can I take 1 Horror from using a charge of Forbidden and deal damage"? The answer to that is yes, absolutely.

That is absolutely how it works. It is just that using a charge of Forbidden Knowledge is a fast action so it does not trigger an attack of opportunity.

If we're talking theoretically and there was a non-fast version of that card, then you'd be hit with an attack of opportunity before you took the horror for exhausting the item. I'm not sure if there is currently any card like this, but there might be, someday. The important part is that you declare your non-fast action, take the attack of opportunities, and then perform your action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Little
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
So is it safe to say the squiggly card actions don't normally trigger AoO?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
They do not. They do not cost an action. Using an action is part of the AOO trigger.

Forbidden Knowledge is a great utility card for Agnes. Not sure any future Mystics are gonna be too eager to take it, but Agnes loves it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.