7 Posts

Merchants & Marauders: Seas of Glory» Forums » General

Subject: Cards match newer printings of base game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam M
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm just curious, do the cards in the expansion match the cards in the newer printings of the base game? I have the first edition of the base game and as others have pointed out, the backs and edges of the cards don't quite match those in the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
The colors are slightly off in the expansion, but it's almost a complete non-issue.

There's no point in the game where you'd be choosing directly between two different cards while only looking at their backs, and there are enough new cards added to each of the decks that knowing whether the top card is from the base game or the expansion provides no benefit whatsoever.

The edges will look a little different only because of how those discolor over time from being handled and shuffled. Once you have them mixed together and play a few times, the new cards will start looking more and more like the originals until eventually you won't be able to tell the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
There's no point in the game where you'd be choosing directly between two different cards while only looking at their backs...

Except for the cargo cards. When that top card looks different you know you'll be guaranteed contraband. Granted it's only the top card, but it was enough to push me into sleeving the cards (and to protect an at-the-time oop game).

I imagine, like you said, if I played with the new cards enough they would wear enough to match the others, but that just showed how much the others wore down already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
Except for the cargo cards. When that top card looks different you know you'll be guaranteed contraband. Granted it's only the top card...
That is true, but the location listed could be any port on the board, and it also tells you nothing about the standard good or the raid values, so knowing that it's contraband isn't particularly helpful - definitely not enough to affect the outcome of a game.

However, I do agree that if the difference in the colors and/or the wear differences on the edges is going to bother someone, sleeving the cards, even just one or two decks, will take resolve the problem entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the biggest affect of the discolored cargo cards was when I was doing merchant raids, since as a pirate the possibility of finding contraband could be a nice increase in sales.

But either way, as Kyle said, missions/rumors/events/captains/glory all are so numerous it wont matter in the end. Cargo is debatable, but minor. Sleeving helps it for me, but I'm also the proud owner of a very tall tippy stack of cargo cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me it's not the colors but it's the shape of the card. I can tell what card it is by looking at the deck. Normally, this isn't a big deal in most games, except this game has an action where you can draw more cards off the deck. If you can tell there aren't any cargo cards in the top few, you aren't going to take that action if it's your intention.

Also, shuffling them is pretty hard because of the above.

I just keep them sleeved although I do hate sleeves for this size. Not the world's biggest issue but a slight annoyance in an otherwise fantastic expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
Woelf wrote:
There's no point in the game where you'd be choosing directly between two different cards while only looking at their backs...

Except for the cargo cards. When that top card looks different you know you'll be guaranteed contraband. Granted it's only the top card, but it was enough to push me into sleeving the cards (and to protect an at-the-time oop game).

I imagine, like you said, if I played with the new cards enough they would wear enough to match the others, but that just showed how much the others wore down already.

This and many other similar issues can be solved by drawing from the bottom of the deck and not from the top
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.