Subject: Movement After Combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Nixon
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Hello Everyone,

Except for making a "Tactical Maneuver," does combat end the movement of an Attacker's ships? I don't see anything in the rulebook that says 'combat ends movement,' but it seems to me the "Tactical Maneuver" feature implies that the only movement allowed after a combat victory is an impulse move (2 sectors).

Here is the scenario: Our Klingon player invaded one of the Romulan player's colonies, completely destroying all structures (he used his "Planetary Bombardment" Advancement). He still had command tokens, and wanted to warp his victorious fleet to the sector adjacent to the next Romulan colony to do the same. (He's trying to destroy the Culture nodes on outlying Romulan colonies because the Romulan player is flush with Culture nodes and has a 'leg up' on everyone in Ascendancy tokens.) For now we are saying "No, the most your fleet can do after winning is move into the destroyed colony's sector, then one sector beyond that."

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't get the question. Tactical move happens after combat, then the player can use any remaining commands to do whatever they want. What am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
You have it correct, besides a tactical impulse move you don't continue to warp after combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
You have it correct, besides a tactical impulse move you don't continue to warp after combat.

Whoa whoa. Continue to warp after combat? Something isn't right here. You have to end movement before combat, then spend a command to initiate combat. You don't just move and start a combat with the same command...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. He can absolutely spend those remaining command tokens on movement (or more combat or just about anything else). The tactical maneuver is just an optional bonus impulse move for winning.

For example, say your fleet begins adjacent to an enemy target. And there are additional enemy targets every couple of sectors beyond that. You could spend each of your commands on combat, using your tactical maneuver to move adjacent to the next target (assuming you keep winning).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops. I missed the warp part of the question. The answer is still basically the same. If you spend a command to initiate combat, and you win, you get an optional bonus impulse move. Whether you use it or not, you can then spend another command to enter warp, a third command to exit warp in the next system, and a fourth command to initiate another combat. Etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Scott Nixon wrote:
Except for making a "Tactical Maneuver," does combat end the movement of an Attacker's ships? I don't see anything in the rulebook that says 'combat ends movement,...

If you're asking about Combat ending a current Movement Command (the question from your first paragraph?), perhaps this rule you're looking for:

From Page 11, under, "Entering Rival Territory"
"...you may not enter...a sector you don't control that contains Hostile rival ships. You may ask for permission to enter... If they don't agree, you must end your Movement."
(emphasis mine)

Or if you're looking for the rule that talks about being able to do execute another Movement Command after Combat, this is what you're looking for:
From page 10, "All Commands may be issued multiple times per turn, as long as you have Commands remaining."
(emphasis mine)
Meaning that the "Move Ships and Fleets" Command can be issued multiple times as long as you have Command tokens, and can be combined in any order with the "Initiate Space Battle" Command.

And, from page 11, "You may issue more than one movement command to the same ship on a single turn."

I hope those above rules citations are the ones you were looking for, to help answer all your questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nixon
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks Everyone! (And thank you Barry!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When taking a "Tactical Maneuver" after winning a combet, can the combat winner move ships that did not participate in the combat? The rule on page 18 doesn't limit this move to only ships in the combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ghorro wrote:
When taking a "Tactical Maneuver" after winning a combet, can the combat winner move ships that did not participate in the combat? The rule on page 18 doesn't limit this move to only ships in the combat.

You cannot attack with just some of the ships in a sector. It's all or nothing, so this will never be an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
Ghorro wrote:

You cannot attack with just some of the ships in a sector. It's all or nothing, so this will never be an issue.

The rule reads that you can move any ship after combat, even one across the galaxy. Not sure I understand what you mean regarding this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghorro wrote:
can the combat winner move ships that did not participate in the combat?

No he can't. The entire chapter „Space Battle“ consequently refers only to ships that attack or defend during a space battle. This also applies to the paragraph you are quoting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ghorro wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
Ghorro wrote:

The rule reads that you can move any ship after combat, even one across the galaxy. Not sure I understand what you mean regarding this.

I don't know how you are interpreting the rules this way, but it's incorrect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.