Popular Tags: down-with-'geek' [+] [View All]
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I can read you mind
badge
I am the eye in the sky, looking at you. I can read you mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools. i can cheat you blind. And I don't need to see anymore to know that....
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, let's start with the fact that we're all Geeks. I mean, we wouldn't be on a website called BoardGameGeek if we weren't, right? But I'm wondering, what else makes us Geeks? We're not one dimensional, are we?
Several years ago, there was an American TV show called Beat the Geek. It had a panel of experts (Geeks) that were all extremely knowledgable in various areas of pop culture (movies, music, TV, or more narrowly, Star Trek, James Bond, etc...) The idea was, you answered a question, the Geek had to answer a harder one. Answer enough questions, you 'beat the geek, and won. Anyway, the point of all this is that, at the beginning of the show, they would introduce the contestants, and ask them "What is the geekiest thing about you?" So, now I ask, excluding board games.......

what is the Geekiest thing about you?

My answers:

1) I frequently quote Bugs Bunny cartoons in everyday conversation
2) I still have/listen to recordings of the Partridge Family, and secretly enjoy ABBA music.
3)I love novelty songs, ie, Weird Al Yancovic & company.

OK, your turn. Don't be afraid, you're among friends.
Just let your inner Geek out.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge sit-com geek. I can practically quote word for word from almost any episode of the following:

Cheers
Three's Company
Taxi
Seinfeld
The Simpsons

Also in my "Pantheon of Sitcom Greats" are:

The Honeymooners
I Love Lucy
Bewitched
Newheart
WKRP in Cincinatti
Friends
The Office

Additionally, I'm very geeky about the following movies:

Star Wars OT (big surprise)
The Godfather
Goodfellas
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Die Hard
Pulp Fiction
Dumb and Dumber
Unforgiven

Finally, as my microbadges indicate, I closely follow the NFL, MLB and NCAA basketball. Is sports fanaticism considered geeky?

*Edited to include the highly quotable Simpsons and Goodfellas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I had this long response typed up and I accidently closed the tab.
@#$&**@#@!%&*

So I'll summarize:

- Star Wars A dark theatre in Lincoln Nebraska in 1977 set me on a course from which I have never diverged. I even have Chewbacca's autograph - well Peter Mayhew's anyhow.
- Star Trek been to conventions* - have autographs from Worf, Troi and met D. Kelley just before he passed away. Named 3 animals after ST characters.
- Simpsons/Futurama/Zim - is there a place for Quote-aholics to go for help? Here?
- Robotech - most of my friends were into transformers round this time for me Robotech was and is IT.
- Comics - read 'em, collect 'em go to conventions*.
- Sci-Fi/ Fantasy Books
- Games (of course)
- History buff my dad and I have been to just about every major civil war battlefield including some that are now no more than a marker by the side of the road.
- Information Technology "professional" *cough*cough*computer geek*cough*cough* - Although I don't love technology - I just use it. A lot.

Sheesh this is like 1/4 of what I had typed up and still summarizes nicely. Maybe long winded forum postings counts towards being a geek

*I've never dressed up at a convention. That is a line even I haven't crossed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:

Star Wars A dark theatre in Lincoln Nebraska in 1977 set me on a course from which I have never diverged.

Star Wars is the first movie I remember begging my parents to take me to see. Additionally, it's the first movie that I remember seeing multiple times at the theater - luckily enough, after much initial trepidation, my mother decided that it wasn't a trashy movie after all. Empire was the first sequel that I remember eagerly awaiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember being STUNNED when I found out that Darth Vader was Luke's father. A jaw dropping moment for me. These days it is so hard to avoid spoilers, but back then man, that was just a bolt out of the blue. Holy @#$! no freaking way! The prequels were OK but just didn't have the magic for me that the OT had - and for me still has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
I remember being STUNNED when I found out that Darth Vader was Luke's father. A jaw dropping moment for me. These days it is so hard to avoid spoilers, but back then man, that was just a bolt out of the blue. Holy @#$! no freaking way! The prequels were OK but just didn't have the magic for me that the OT had - and for me still has.

I completely agree. Watching the various documentaries, it's funny that James Earl Jones and I had the same thought when the revelation is made: "he's lying."

Also, Luke's parentage wasn't initially in the script. It was urged by director Irwin Kershner, to make the ending more climactic. The original script had Vader telling Luke that Obi-Wan killed his father.

The fact that the script was changed is very evident when watching the original Star Wars, in which there is much allusion to the fact that Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru actually did know Anakin (along with a few others), which is probably the most glaringly unreconciled loophole resulting from the script change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
- Simpsons/Futurama/Zim - is there a place for Quote-aholics to go for help? Here?

No. Any quoting goes on and you will be crushed, be crushed by ... jolly boots of doom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "what makes a geek?" question reminded me of a recent exchange on CC's Colbert Report:

Stephen Colbert: …You’re the former counter-terrorism tsar, so you know this stuff is actually possible.

Richard Clarke: … And former cyber-security tsar to the President. This stuff is actually possible.

Stephen Colbert: Did that make you ‘Chief Nerd’?

Richard Clarke: Chief Geek.

Stephen Colbert: Chief Geek. Okay, I apologize. I didn’t realize what they, uh, what the… term was.

Richard Clarke: Geeks get it done. Nerds don’t.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I know the armament configurations of most WW II fighter aircraft, tanks and battleships.
2) I don't get laid often enough.
3) I've forgotten most of #1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:

For Futurama or Zim, come to my dorm room for about a week and you'll have heard every line from both those shows at least once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) First and foremost; I am a huge Monty Python fan. There was a time when I had the whole movie memorized, line by line and scene by scene. (I still know much, though nowhere near the perfection I once possessed.) I still know, by heart, the 'argument sketch'.

2) I grew up watching 'Transformers', and got rehooked by 'Beast Wars'. (Note the Microbadge: 'Maximal' symbol) That show inspired me to write FanFics which are still floating around in cyberspace. (Indirectly, that show led me to my wife.)

3) I am spending time typing this, which proves I have nothing better to do.

4) I still enjoy carnivals.

5) I love retro-videogames. I pine for the Adventure 2600 and M.U.L.E., and have gotten rehooked on the original 'Zelda' series.

6) Oh yeah, and I teach math. Often, I solve math problems for fun.

7) My wife reminded me: I can solve the Rubiks Cube. 3x3, 4x4 ... even the 5x5. (I keep the latter in a 'snake' pattern with the colors.)

8) Oh, one more thing; I listen to Weird Al, and have memorized 'White and Nerdy' (which I have performed in front of my students, after losing a bet).

Phew! That enough for ya?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I can read you mind
badge
I am the eye in the sky, looking at you. I can read you mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools. i can cheat you blind. And I don't need to see anymore to know that....
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
1) First and foremost; I am a huge Monty Python fan. There was a time when I had the whole movie memorized, line by line and scene by scene. (I still know much, though nowhere near the perfection I once possessed.) I still know, by heart, the 'argument sketch'.

I love Monty Python as well. The Norwegian Fish Slapping Dance is my favorite. Maybe I'm biased, but I didn't list Python as 'geeky' because I think it's cool. At least IMHO.

Of course, that just makes me more of a geek, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I can read you mind
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captkayoss wrote:
I'm a huge sit-com geek. I can practically quote word for word from almost any episode of the following:

WKRP in Cincinatti

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
TV doesn't get any funnier than that!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When your parents name you "Delmer" you have no other option. You just naturally gravitate to the library.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I can read you mind
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My sympathies. Here's some GG to ease the pain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:
My sympathies. Here's some GG to ease the pain.

Your 2 cents so to speak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:

D'oh! I should have added this too! Of course I am a Monty Python fan as well - goes with my quote-aholic issue! BTW:

Coyotek4 wrote:

I still know, by heart, the 'argument sketch'
No you don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Del_Esau wrote:
When your parents name you "Delmer" you have no other option. You just naturally gravitate to the library.

On libraries:
I LOVE libraries. Another uber-geeky thing I guess. My first post graduate job was for a college IT shop where my office was in the library, that was awesome. I could just wander the stacks at lunch. In both under grad and grad school (two different schools) I'd wander the library and find "my" place to study. I loved wandering through the books, occasionally pulling some out to browse.

On names:
Being named David there were always at least 4 or 5 "David's" in my class. For some reason I always got picked to go by a different name, so sometimes it was my middle name but somewhere along the line it got changed to the first word of my last name "Van." On the east side of Michigan where I grew up (Metro Detroit) nobody could ever figure out my last name. Was it Sweden? Was "Van" my middle name? When I moved to the west side of Michigan where all it seems all of Holland immigrated to at one point not only was my name not a big deal but there was another David Van Sweden! Anyhow long winded explanation for saying that is why I sometimes sign my name "David" sometimes "Van" and some times just use my initials dvs (devious get it?) which amuses me. All which is part of what makes me a geek.

Delmer is a cool name - at least here amongst the geeks!
Cheers,
Van

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
Coyotek4 wrote:

I still know, by heart, the 'argument sketch'
No you don't.

Sorry, I'm not allowed to argue with you anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:
captkayoss wrote:

WKRP in Cincinatti

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
TV doesn't get any funnier than that!!!

"It appears the turkeys are re-grouping for some sort of counter-attack!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zim.
Mystery Science Theater 3000 - still the best TV show to grace anyone's airwaves.
Blade Runner.
The Tick (animated series).
A little-known classic called Greg the Bunny.
Clone High.
Monty Python - everything about it.
Other Britcoms, including The Office, Coupling, Young Ones
All Kubrick movies.
Most Coen movies.

A deep fondness for beer, trash-talking, and interjections such as 'take THAT!' as well as significantly more colorful and less family-friendly ones.

I guess defining moments came in college when animation festivals started going around. I can also remember "The Sure Thing" being projected on the side of a building (while we were all damn well soused).

And then for some reason I went into a game store and got Nuclear War as well as Illuminati.

Another defining moment came when one of my best friends in college (and since) sat me down and forced me to learn Up Front.

A last defining moment came when -- after an absence of many years from even thinking about board games -- my wife was on bedrest with our son. We had a couple games from this very same friend, still shrinkwrapped, as wedding presents. I opened one of them out of desperation, because we were completely sick of both reading and TV. We finished a game, and she demanded another, and another, and another.

It was Lost Cities, and although there have been many better games to come along since then, I've never looked back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sifu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I overclock the CPU on my computer, which I built (the computer, NOT the CPU! - that would make me some kind of Geek deity).
I am teaching myself Sanskrit.
I read about quantum mechanics and special relativity for fun.
Scribidinus consistently cracks me up.

Can anyone point me to a 12-step program?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
I think BGG is our 12 step program!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
dogzard wrote:
what is the Geekiest thing about you?
Let's see...

maybe that I like to sit in my library, smoking cigars and drinking tea while reading the rules to games I don't own, or books on obscure aspects of philosophy and/or (social) science;

or having seen every episode of Star Trek - all series except DS9 - and every ST movie at least once (and lots of them twice or more);

or being overly rational to the extent of (near) social incompetence in all the wrong circumstances;

or calling my two new cats Gojira and Gamera;

or ...

Well, there's probably more, but these should suffice. Take your pick. Am I geeky enough? Do I pass?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Read Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Star Wars books fanatically. I play board games as much as I can. I am obsessive about my Lego collection (in fact one of the main reasons I started RPG/board games is because I was "too old" for my Legos in 7th grade, apparently... just wait until I get my own house, I'm building that Lego room like I always said I would, MOM!). Okay, I think that last one is more than enough.

Now I'm sad because I miss my Legos soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |