Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146650/fireknife
badge
Burn to learn / learn to burn
mbmbmbmbmb
We've often found that, with all the expansion cards included, the game has a long, slow opening where nobody can afford anything.

Does anyone have a method they use to avoid this (preferably with as little additional setup as possible)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Machi Koro: Bright Lights, Big City has the cards divided into 3 different decks and so you always have 3 rows:
5 cards available that are <=6
5 that are >=7
2 purple cards
(I think I have that right, you should check the game out).

That first row should ensure that affordable things are out there.

See here:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With both expansions, I prefer a 6 low, 6 high, purple equal to the number of players. But the game works great with either of these two setups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ipgyst wrote:
With both expansions, I prefer a 6 low, 6 high, purple equal to the number of players. But the game works great with either of these two setups.

Unless if you have a warped card edition and you want to fix the warping by sleeving cards. If you do sleeve the cards, the single deck can get so hefty that the cards become very succeptible to table bumps or deck bumps while drawing. Also, I noticed that as lauded Harbor is, it actually unbalances the big deck in favor of the nonpurple 7+ cards. Here's the card break down:

Base:
<7: 6 (3 Blue, 2 Green, 1 Red)
7+: 6 (2 Blue, 3 Green, 1 Red)
Major: 3 (All <7)

Harbor:
<7: 3 (1 of each color)
7+: 5 [2 more than<7] (2 Blue, 1 Green, 2 Red)
Major: 2 (All 7+)

Millionaire's Row:
<7: 5 (1 Blue, 3 Green, 1 Red)
7+: 5 (1 Blue, 3 Green, 1 Red) [same breakdown as blue]
Major: 3 (All 7+)

Promos
<7: None released
7+: 1 Blue (Diamines)
Major: Convention Center/Game Shop (7+ [10])

Totals:
<7: 14 (5 Blue, 6 Green, 3 Red)
7+: 17 [Effectively 16 as Diamines is more of a replacer](5/6 Blue, 7 Green, 4 Red)
Major: 9 (3 <7 and 6 7+)

For fun, the breakdown for BLBC:
<7: 11 (4 Blue, 4 Green, 3 Red) [About equal, 1 green requires a diff building and another requires low landmarks built, 1 red requires a landmark]
7+: 11 (3 Blue, 5 Green, 3 Red) [Favors green cards, 4 of which are conditional, 2 blues require a landmark, 1 red requires some landmarks]
Major: 5 (2 <7 3 7+)

Just thought to mention something I noticed and all. Even with more focus on the higher numbers, with how conditional many cards (ON TOP of the roller needing the Train Station) are I can understand the hesitance to build them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.