Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Been lurking here for a while and finally have something to post rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob M
United States
California
flag msg tools
Finally got my group together for a game and I surprised them with a little project I had been working on this last month. I made some custom deck trays for all the adventure cards (including the corner expansions) and a handful of 3D pieces for all the various points of interest in the game. Added a little flair to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful setup! And those chairs totally fit into the game! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice. Will you be putting the files online for others to print?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurker comes out, posts dirty, naughty gamer p0rn right away, I'd say off to a good start .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful decor! The 3D pieces are amazing. Combined with pizza and Coke it looks like you've got all the bases covered...cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be right over ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M
United States
California
flag msg tools
talismanisland wrote:
Very nice. Will you be putting the files online for others to print?

Thanks for the positive compliments everyone. I'll post some more detailed pics of the trays and game pieces when I get home later today. I do plan on putting all the files on thingiverse for anyone to download and print when I've finalized all the various designs. There's still a few of them I'm tweaking based on friends feedback from yesterday's game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M
United States
California
flag msg tools

Pics time.
So here are the standard adventure deck trays I made.
Below them are the deck trays I made for the Woodlands, Highlands and Dungeon. They have additional side pockets for the Path, Destiny, Relic, and Treasure cards that accompany each big box expansion deck. For the City adventure deck I use a shorter version of the standard deck tray (not pictured).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M
United States
California
flag msg tools
More pics
Here's the trays I made for all the small decks and their corresponding cards: Warlock Quests and Rewards, Talismans, all the various purchase decks from the City expansion, etc.
Depending on which expansions we're playing with we can use the decks individually or place them in an additional tray that holds 4 decks, two on top of each other and staggered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M
United States
California
flag msg tools
And more

Everything fits nicely into one talisman box with room to spare for additional expansions and cards. This makes setup and cleanup so much quicker and more organized. We usually play with all 4 corners and 2-4 small box expansions. All the other expansions are in a separate box in plastic bags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M
United States
California
flag msg tools
Last ones I swear
And finally the terrain pieces I made. I tried to keep their size small and relative to their corresponding board space. We usually have 5-6 players per game plus the Reaper and Werewolf running around the board so spaces can get a bit crowded. I didn't want to take away from actual game play by making the pieces too big. Lost a little detail in the process but I think still its a good compromise.

Up front we have the Tavern, Castle, and City. Middle row is the Village, Ruins, Graveyard, Temple, Warlocks Cave, and Chapel. In back there's the Vampires Tower, Mines, Pits, Crown of Command, Portal of Power, Crypt and the Dice with Death.

I have a few others that either being slightly redesigned or just waiting to be printed. Unfortunately 3D printing is a somewhat slow process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the card trays. Especially the detail, even though you don't see it in-game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M
United States
California
flag msg tools
talismanisland wrote:
I like the card trays. Especially the detail, even though you don't see it in-game.

Thanks. I really like how the card trays came out too. Even though the details aren't visible in game I still like that they're all Talisman themed and not just generic card trays.
I printed a few more last night with a wood filament. I'm going to give them a quick sand and stain this weekend and see how they compare to the original silver ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M
United States
California
flag msg tools
All the deck tray files are now available for download on thingiverse. If anyone was interested in the terrain pieces I should have them up sometime this weekend.

Adventure Deck Trays

City/Purchase/Warlock Trays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized for the first time that I can't live without a 3D printer.

That's some great work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M
United States
California
flag msg tools
autumnweave wrote:
I just realized for the first time that I can't live without a 3D printer.

That's some great work.

Thank you. 3D printers are amazing. I've only had mine for a month and I can't believe how many uses I've found for it so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice one. I've added a new page to Talisman Island recently with links to Talisman-esque resources online.

Yours are now on it

http://www.talismanisland.com/?page_id=7117
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Fradley
msg tools
Any chance that you would start producing and selling any of these (especially the trays). Great work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M
United States
California
flag msg tools
Sithassassin wrote:
Any chance that you would start producing and selling any of these (especially the trays). Great work.

If you click on Oder This Printed on the thingiverse page you can select which card trays you want to get printed and shipped to you. The printing/shipping is ran through a service called 3D Hubs so I'm not sure how long they take or what their quality is like. I will say that their pricing seems very reasonable though. Or you could download the files and upload them to any other site that offers 3D printing services (I would avoid Shapeways, they seem incredibly overpriced). Or if you are lucky many public libraries now have free 3D printers to use. Just sign up for a time slot and bring in the files on an sd card and you're set.
If someone really wanted to get them through me I guess I could do a small run of these but I really wasn't trying to make money off of this. I just made these for fun in my spare time and wanted to share them with the community for anyone to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M
United States
California
flag msg tools
Terrain pieces!
3D terrain models are ready to go. Just uploaded all of them to thingiverse. Enjoy!

3D Terrain Models
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I believe in a thing called Death
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so impressed that I bought all the card trays available, along with enough card tray holders to stagger them all. I'm so excited for them to arrive on my doorstep, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M
United States
California
flag msg tools
Skeezy wrote:
I'm so impressed that I bought all the card trays available, along with enough card tray holders to stagger them all. I'm so excited for them to arrive on my doorstep, thank you!

You're welcome! I'm glad you like them.
Check back in a few hours cause later today I'll be posting up a link to my new Talisman character card/dice trays as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M
United States
California
flag msg tools

Combination character card tray / dice tray is now available to download!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1939478

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok... I must say that all of this is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE!

It's terrible because now "I" have to look into 3D printers to trick up MY Talisman sets.

Seriously though: very nice work.

I know nothing about 3d printers: is there some kind of graphic interface that allows you to create the objects you want? Easy to use?

The printer you have looks like it does fantastic work. May I ask what manufacturer/model?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talismods wrote:

Have you rounded off your large card corners?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.