Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both times I've played CoP, I've had a tough time sorting out the four-player setup from the three-player set-up. I was hoping this would be fixed for the 2nd Edition, but no luck. I wanted an at-a-glance list like you get for other games, so I wrote one up here. PLEASE CHIME IN WITH CORRECTIONS!

=======================

Four Player Setup:

1. Shuffle the Arts & Culture Cards and stack them face down in their holding box on the map.

2. Discard the Te Waka Maui Island Group Tile from play (unless used with the Advanced Rule).

3. Place the Hiva (Marquesas islands) and Raiatea (West Society Islands) home island tiles in their historic locations on the map in the directions indicated. The Tonga and Samoa Home Island hexes are pre-printed on the map.

4. Place the Flint Is. and Niue Island Group tiles in their historic locations indicated on the map, facing the directions indicated.

5. Scatter the remaining Island Group Tiles face down in the box top. Island Group Tiles are selected from here whenever needed.

6. Place the Discovery Markers (2.5) in a cup (or any opaque container). Discovery Markers are randomly selected from it whenever needed.

7. Reach into the cup and randomly remove Discovery Markers until you have four Island Group Discovery Markers and two Open Ocean Discovery Markers. Remove the four Island Group Markers from the game and place the two randomly drawn Open Ocean Markers on the map (ocean side up): one in the hex between Niue and Flint Is., and the other in the hex between Flint Is. and Hiva (north of Tuamotu). These locations are indicated in red on the map.

8. Decide which Home Island Group each player will begin the game with, or, alternately, shuffle the four Player Aid cards and randomly distribute one to each player, who then plays the Home Island Group described on the card.

9. Each player then chooses one of the four sets of colored Playing Pieces and wood villages. Players place the Home Island disk of their color in their Home Island Group, and then take two villages and place one each in any two green boxes on their Home Island. Next, the players place two Warrior bands of their color, face down (7.5), in their Home Island Group. The remaining pieces are the unbuilt pieces for each player, and are available for building during the game. Finally, each player puts the Explorer Playing Piece of their color in a stand and places it in front of them.

10. Place the Game End Marker on the 22 VP space on the board, and place the four player color VP counters in the 3 VP space on the board.

11. Give the Turn Order Marker to the player who is the owner of the Tonga Home Island Tile. That player will determine the player who will go first and whether the play order will proceed clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Edit: #11 fixed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me a while to figure out what you did here, besides getting number 11 wrong. surprise

So you've taken section 3. Game Setup from the rules, re-arranged them, added numbers, and deleted the directions for 2- and 3-player games. If your ordering makes more sense to you, then that is good. And it is more streamlined if you're only playing 4-player games. But you must understand that it would be exceptionally wordy- and also somewhat confusing- to place this sort of exclusive list in the rules, and then repeat it all for a 3-player game, and then repeat it yet again for a 2-player game. There really aren't that many differences in the set-ups (especially between 3- and 4-player games) to make that viable. It might be something nice and useful to post on line as a reference (all three versions) but not something I'd include in the rules.

Actually, I thought that the new graphics showing the 3- and 4-player set-ups was a nice addition to the rules. That was Mark Simonitch's idea.

Oh, and about your #11: the Tongan player does not necessarily go first, he chooses who goes first, and the order the turn will proceed. See 5. Turn Order, second paragraph.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KMcPartland wrote:
the Tongan player does not necessarily go first, he chooses who goes first, and the order the turn will proceed. See 5. Turn Order, second paragraph.

Kevin

And after all these years, I missed that one. We always have the player with the marker go first, only deciding which direction the order goes. Oops blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Often, you do want to go first. But sometimes you want to go last! The person in last place gets to choose...

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Kevin! Yes, I just did this for me, since I'm going to be playing CoP mostly if not exclusively 4-player. With this list printed out, set-up will take no time at all. I'm just not great with set-ups predicated on earlier ones, but I'm sure that's my own unique disorder. Well, one of them. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.