Subject: Few ? After 1st play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne L
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Finally got my 2nd edition copy and got my two good friends together to try to learn today. We made it through the end of the 2nd year before calling it over because of time. A few questions came up during our learning game.

- if you're in an ongoing ground battle and it carries over from season to season, do you have to play another command card to fight again? Or does it automatically trigger(I'm pretty sure yes you need a card but I couldn't find this spelled out any where)

- if you're battle finishes before some tank/ infantry have a chance to attack or retreat, do they still get the option to retreat to an adjacent area or is the battle over the second no more enemies exist?

- If you spawn neutral country forts and you kill the fort in the capital, the rest automatically are killed? (Again pretty sure this is yes)

- you cannot travel through neutral countrys without stopping and declaring a VoN?

- can the straight in Denmark be controlled by a fleet? Since it's a straight and that counts as water or land than I think it can.

- Can fleet, sub, or carriers be in the middle of land locked areas? Or can they only be on coastal areas? This is in question for attacking and movement. Kind of strsnge to have fleets and subs in the middle of Europe..?

- when you build a new cadre in your home territory can it go into any area in your country? So User can uild cadre on the border areas of Poland even if that area doesn't have a city or town? Also, can Allies spawn new cadres in India?

We really enjoyed the game and can't wait to get a full game in. Thanks for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting questions.

I have my answers, but as I'm not an expert I'm gonna wait to see what the latter reply to them instead of confusing you with answers that might be wrong...

A good game it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools
1.)
You have to play another command card ( not emergency ) but you dont have to pay points to renew the fight.

2.)
This was discussed. I am 99.9% sure that you can retreat units that didnt shoot.

3.)
yes

4.)
yes you need the VoN.

5.)
Straits are land areas with a special water component.
So no you cant control a strait with a fleet.

6.)
If land locked area means no water you cant build naval units there.
Naval units can be built in costal areas.

7.)
a) build everywhere in home areas,
b) Not in clolonies which means not in India.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne L
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
haeberich wrote:
1.)
You have to play another command card ( not emergency ) but you dont have to pay points to renew the fight.

2.)
This was discussed. I am 99.9% sure that you can retreat units that didnt shoot.

3.)
yes

4.)
yes you need the VoN.

5.)
Straits are land areas with a special water component.
So no you cant control a strait with a fleet.

6.)
If land locked area means no water you cant build naval units there.
Naval units can be built in costal areas.

7.)
a) build everywhere in home areas,
b) Not in clolonies which means not in India.

1. Thats what i thought
2. This one is interesting Im not sure if units after the fight is finished get to act
3. Yeah thought so.
4. Yup
5. I need to reveiw the rules on straights apparently.
6. Naval units can only be built in coastal territories. OK, What about moving a naval unit into a non-coastal territory. Can they still battle in those areas that arent on the coast?

7. Ok thanks. Forgot about colonies actually. So India is really unprotected from USSR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Juerg and Wayne for your responses.

Re #2,

12.24 Ending Battles
"Battles end immediately when units of only one side remain (ignoring Escaped Subs).
All victorious units are immediately returned upright and forego any untaken Combat Actions."

Retreat is a Combat Action. So no Retreats allowed for unfired units after winning a Battle (ie, no Enemy units remain in the Battle ignoring Escaped Subs).

re #7:

Naval & Sub units can use Sea Movement (only). Therefore they cannot move inland into non-Coastal Land areas. They are restricted to Sea areas and Coastal/Straits Land areas only.

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
striped_zebra wrote:

7. Ok thanks. Forgot about colonies actually. So India is really unprotected from USSR

Not UNprotected. You start with three blocks there. You can build them up. You can annex Persia and/or Turkey. You can send more blocks there. You can encourage the Axis to give USSR more to worry about than India. You can avoid war with USSR. etc. etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne L
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cbesinque wrote:
Thank you Juerg and Wayne for your responses.

Re #2,

12.24 Ending Battles
"Battles end immediately when units of only one side remain (ignoring Escaped Subs).
All victorious units are immediately returned upright and forego any untaken Combat Actions."

Retreat is a Combat Action. So no Retreats allowed for unfired units after winning a Battle (ie, no Enemy units remain in the Battle ignoring Escaped Subs).

re #7:

Naval & Sub units can use Sea Movement (only). Therefore they cannot move inland into non-Coastal Land areas. They are restricted to Sea areas and Coastal/Straits Land areas only.

Craig

Thanks a lot Craig. One other question which I think we hashed out last play.

So when a Great power or Major power capital falls to an enemy, all blocks of that power are immediately removed from the board. Any Colonies are turned into armed neutrals and neutral forts are spawned. (Ex. When Paris falls, all light blue blocks are removed and French north Africa spawns a neutral fort)

Additionally, when VoN occur you spawns neutral forts and when you kill the Capitals fort all the other neutral forts are immediately r removed from that country (ex Poland and Turkey)

So the question came up when a faction controls a neutral country and they have some troops in some areas other then the capital. If an enemy walks in to the capital they take control of the country, but the enemy troops you have don't get removed. So then the country would be divided between two factions and you would only maintain the resources you controlled.

That is correct? It took a while to figure that distinction out in our 2nd game. It wouldn't make sense to lose the units you had just because the countrys capital you are in fell to the enemy.

Edit: just thought if USSR loses Moscow than they lose every red block? Basically ending the game because the controller of Moscow would also automatically own Leningrad and Baku

Also, one more question. Re regarding retreat/rebase.

Can you retreat from battle on the first activation? For ground u it battles it seems you have to choose to retreat a ground unit when they activate since it only goes through the battle sequence once. What about Air in ground battles? Can they shoot, and then at the end, choose to rebase even if they are supported by ground? (This should be all accurate)

So naval battles don't end after one round so then my question came because I read somewhere Submarines can't retreat down during their first activation? Is that true? Can naval and subs only retreat after 1 battle you D?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteyWA wrote:
striped_zebra wrote:

Not UNprotected. You start with three blocks there. You can build them up. You can annex Persia and/or Turkey. You can send more blocks there. You can encourage the Axis to give USSR more to worry about than India. You can avoid war with USSR. etc. etc.

Four, now, unless I've failed to notice a map change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Conn
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
striped_zebra wrote:

So when a Great power or Major power capital falls to an enemy, all blocks of that power are immediately removed from the board. Any Colonies are turned into armed neutrals and neutral forts are spawned. (Ex. When Paris falls, all light blue blocks are removed and French north Africa spawns a neutral fort)

Dont mix Great powers and Major powers together like that. They don't act the same. Reread section 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayne,

When a Major Power's Capital falls, all it's blocks are removed at the end of the Combat Phase (2.21 Major Power Defeat), Colonies being treated as you say (Syria too!). Ditto for Armed Neutral Powers (15.42). These references are to 1st Ed Rulebook. So there is no problem as you describe.

This does NOT apply to Great Powers, although they have no Production if their MainCapital is lost.

Yes about splitting control of a Minor. Capital Control is negated by Rival occupation.

Retreat is an alternative to Firing when a unit is taking its Combat Action (why not use the specific term, it makes your questions clearer).
Any unit can Retreat instead of Firing for its Combat Action, on its first or any Combat Round.

ANS units can ReBase when Retreating instead of the normal 1 area Retreat.

Optional ReBasing is also allowed for ANS units of the Active Player at the end of a Combat Round (mandatory in some cases). This is all covered in ReBasing 13.0.

At the end of a Combat Round, Subs can Escape. Not as a Combat Action, only at the end of the Round. Subs must exchange one fire if they intend to remain in the sea area as Escaped. They can also Retreat during their Combat Action if preferable. In subsequent Sea Combat Rounds, the same options apply.

Craig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.