Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Norris
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Both Dangerous Waters and Currents say you may move off the space, the question is if you have two ships on that space can you move both or only the flagship?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't even designate a "flagship" except when you're conducting an endeavor. The rest of the time they are just ships, all of them are equal.

If you are moving ships together, and then you want to stop moving one of the ships and keep moving the other, you can do that. The rules only refer to "after the slower ship moves its Sail value", but IMHO you can leave one behind at any time, and continue moving the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he's talking about the initial card draw, where it directs you to move off the space. I would say that the ships must remain together, but I can't think of an official ruling that says this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly you can separate the ships if the slower ship has reached its Sail value and the faster one has not. Because the rules specifically say that you can.

To say you can *only* do so in that case, and no other case, would seem rather pedantic to me, but it's a possible interpretation, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Norris
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yep the question was about after you draw the card (so after you have finished a sail action)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't the case where you are moving through a dangerous waters space and you pass the dangerous waters check -- in that case, you are free to continue moving or not as normal, including splitting your ships up. But on the turn you draw the card, you are instructed to "Move to an adjacent space without making a sail check". Given that this is not an endeavor, and no flagship has been nominated, what leads you to think that this directive should only apply to a single ship?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Norris
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmb
I personal didn't but one of the other players did, so I said I'd check

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I was responding to David, who appears to be of the opposite opinion. But if your other players have a reason they think otherwise, I'd be curious as to their reasoning, too. I could be missing something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Becq wrote:
No, I was responding to David, who appears to be of the opposite opinion. But if your other players have a reason they think otherwise, I'd be curious as to their reasoning, too. I could be missing something...

I think David is saying the question as phrased makes no sense, since you don't have a flagship at that point. He's also saying that if you want to leave one ship behind (on the current, at least) you should be allowed to.

(I think the dangerous waters card requires you to move both, but I'm not sure).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this is about the card effects, not the board effects, then it comes down to what the actual cards say.

Current: "You may move along it now if you wish." This is described as a normal move, so you can use it in any way you could otherwise move, i.e., as I said above, if you're moving two ships together you could choose to leave one or the other behind, but then it would be done moving.

Dangerous Waters: "Move to an adjacent space without making a sail check." This refers to just one adjacent space and is not optional, so both ships must move to that space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then we agree. Everyone get to your bomb shelters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Resurrecting this thread with a related question.

If an Uncharted Waters card instructs you to move to an adjacent sea space and the space you move to has a Current in it, can you then use the Current to move another space in the direction indicated?

Currents
"If you move into a space with a current, you may sail out of the space in the direction the current is pointing without spending a point of movement."

Uncharted Waters
"If you end a sail action in an empty sea space west of the first four columns, draw the top uncharted waters card."

So the fact that you're drawing an Uncharted Waters card means you've ended your sail action. Does that mean the Current can't apply? "...you may sail out of the space..." but perhaps I'm not sailing anymore? What am I doing then?

Does it make a difference which Uncharted Waters card you drew? The Current card says "You may move along it now if you wish." That sounds like you're using the current, so maybe it's fine to use any other currents you move onto too. Dangerous Waters just tells you to "Move to an adjacent space." Is this treated differently somehow?

Box 4 spoilers:
The 'Portal of the Ancients' card says "You may move to an adjacent sea space", emphasis mine. Does the fact that this movement is optional change any of the answers above?

I'd like to know what loopholes there are here that I can make use of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd allow it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.