Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DGenerateKane
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is no way I'll ever be able to get everything at this point at anywhere near realistic prices, so I'm torn on whether or not to even bother. I'm a huge fan of Deck Builders, my three favorite games are Star Realms, XenoShyft: Onslaught, and Core Worlds. Nightfall hasn't grabbed my attention like other Deck Builders have. I'm interested for sure, but it isn't a must buy like others have been. Should I give it a shot anyway? Maybe just grab the base set and then see if I like it enough to get a couple other games? Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenz Poh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's actually an App for it on IOS. Pretty dead though, but you can definitely get a feel for it over there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DGenerateKane wrote:
There is no way I'll ever be able to get everything at this point at anywhere near realistic prices, so I'm torn on whether or not to even bother. I'm a huge fan of Deck Builders, my three favorite games are Star Realms, XenoShyft: Onslaught, and Core Worlds. Nightfall hasn't grabbed my attention like other Deck Builders have. I'm interested for sure, but it isn't a must buy like others have been. Should I give it a shot anyway? Maybe just grab the base set and then see if I like it enough to get a couple other games? Opinions?

I am of the opinion that all DBG should be digital, or include digital versions. Having to lug around 500 to 4000 cards just sounds like I should've used that energy towards a home improvement project! shakewow

Nightfall is on iOS, but is woefully neglected. It has the first 2 expansions, but still doesn't support 4" screens. Ascension has MUCH BETTER support, and the Dominion app on Android is still getting played by myself

As for Nightfall itself, if you can get it cheap, then definitely go for it! I was able to get a few sets for 75 to 80% off due to some clearance sale on Cardhaus (or CoolStuffInc? Or one of the OLGS)? However, it sounds like the prices have shot up sky high since then?

MIDEDIT: Amazon says base game is available for $22. I'd say it's definitely worth a shot. Some of the expansions too! However, I'm guessing that not all expansions may be available, or for a decent price if you're going into the "collector's approach", or find out you and your group want more of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DGenerateKane wrote:

As others have said, if you can, you should buy and try the iOS app to convince yourself, but I really like it. I'm a huge fan of deckbuilders and this is a great confrontational one.

I'd akin it to Dominion, with a bit of Magic (minions/spells) and a very deep card chaining mechanism.

The only downside is it's definitely a more difficult one to teach to new people as if you play properly (drafting the cards) people can't really ask you exactly what a card does before choosing (as you'd then have more information). I've tended to have the Geeklist Faq open when playing so people can quickly read up on any card.

You can't really play without drafting as you can easily end up with crappy chain combinations which lessen the game experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Why oh WHY isn't this available for android?! :(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the game. And even if you can grab just a few sets, it will be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mbmbmbmb
The base game is great and it is worth picking up. I would recommend downloading the most recent version of the rules and using them and ignoring anything referencing things that aren't in the original base set and expansions you pick up. They are the rules that were released with Eastern Skies.

Some of the expansions and promo cards will definitely be difficult to obtain at a decent price, especially Eastern Skies. There is a file with all the promo cards though so you can print them out yourself and use them. They released the file because three of them were never printed by AEG.

Also remember that you don't have to go with the original base set. Three of the expansions served double duty as stand alone base sets. You can play with just those expansions and don't need the original if you want to. Each of the small expansions was released to expand one of the stand alone expansions so you will need at least one of the base sets to use them. I don't remember specifically what comes in the small expansions, but you may not be able to use all the cards from them if you don't have the appropriate base expansion as each base set added new concepts and card types only in them. There may be cards in the small expansions that interact with the cards in the base sets.

They are:
Nightfall
Nightfall: Martial Law
Nightfall: The Coldest War
Nightfall: Eastern Skies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DGenerateKane
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
weijie_88 wrote:
There's actually an App for it on IOS. Pretty dead though, but you can definitely get a feel for it over there

Yeah, I'm aware. My house is all Android however, and Android frequently gets the shaft when it comes to app availability. Particularly board game apps it seems, I saw Forbidden Island is IOS only too.

ackmondual wrote:

As for Nightfall itself, if you can get it cheap, then definitely go for it! I was able to get a few sets for 75 to 80% off due to some clearance sale on Cardhaus (or CoolStuffInc? Or one of the OLGS)? However, it sounds like the prices have shot up sky high since then?

MIDEDIT: Amazon says base game is available for $22. I'd say it's definitely worth a shot. Some of the expansions too! However, I'm guessing that not all expansions may be available, or for a decent price if you're going into the "collector's approach", or find out you and your group want more of it!

Yeah, Cardhaus only has I think the base game left in stock, and CSI doesn't even have a listing for anything. Amazon does have the core and a few others at prices I'm ok with, but at least one is over 50 and Eastern Skies I haven't actually seen for sale anywhere I've looked yet, not even ebay so I can only imagine how much someone will want to sell one for.

Delthos wrote:
The base game is great and it is worth picking up. I would recommend downloading the most recent version of the rules and using them and ignoring anything referencing things that aren't in the original base set and expansions you pick up. They are the rules that were released with Eastern Skies.

Some of the expansions and promo cards will definitely be difficult to obtain at a decent price, especially Eastern Skies. There is a file with all the promo cards though so you can print them out yourself and use them. They released the file because three of them were never printed by AEG.

Also remember that you don't have to go with the original base set. Three of the expansions served double duty as stand alone base sets. You can play with just those expansions and don't need the original if you want to. Each of the small expansions was released to expand one of the stand alone expansions so you will need at least one of the base sets to use them. I don't remember specifically what comes in the small expansions, but you may not be able to use all the cards from them if you don't have the appropriate base expansion as each base set added new concepts and card types only in them. There may be cards in the small expansions that interact with the cards in the base sets.

They are:
Nightfall
Nightfall: Martial Law
Nightfall: The Coldest War
Nightfall: Eastern Skies

Good to know about the rules. I did notice some of the "expansions" are actually stand alone games, I'll have to read more on the small expansions. Nice to know I can print all the promos out. I think I'll give one a try. Is any of the standalone sets better than the base? Or should I just stick with the base first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mbmbmbmb
I think Eastern Skies is actually the best, but the original is good to learn just the basics of the game.

Miniature Market has the original base game and the Martial Law expansion in stock on clearance at a great price. They have a $5 shipping option as well. Even with shipping you can get them for less than half price from them.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/searchresults?q=nightfall

The prices on Amazon are actually pretty reasonable for what they have, well expect the one guy selling Dark Rages for $50.

You can also try http://www.nobleknight.com You can usually get out of print stuff from them, although they also charge premium prices for rare stuff, but they do provide good service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DGenerateKane wrote:
Yeah, I'm aware. My house is all Android however, and Android frequently gets the shaft when it comes to app availability. Particularly board game apps it seems, I saw Forbidden Island is IOS only too.

Skrell wrote:
Why oh WHY isn't this available for android?!

[shrug] If it makes you feel any better, the fact that this app hasn't been updated for ages makes it on the fence about whether or not you should bother with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DGenerateKane
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Delthos wrote:
I think Eastern Skies is actually the best, but the original is good to learn just the basics of the game.

Miniature Market has the original base game and the Martial Law expansion in stock on clearance at a great price. They have a $5 shipping option as well. Even with shipping you can get them for less than half price from them.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/searchresults?q=nightfall

The prices on Amazon are actually pretty reasonable for what they have, well expect the one guy selling Dark Rages for $50.

You can also try http://www.nobleknight.com You can usually get out of print stuff from them, although they also charge premium prices for rare stuff, but they do provide good service.

Of course the hardest to find is the best. That's my luck. Yeah, MM is my preferred retailer, their prices are typically better, free flat rate shipping at $100, and best of all customer holds. I actually forgot to look at NK, I've looked there before for OOP titles. You're right about the premium prices. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DGenerateKane
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Decided to wait until MM had their BF sale, good thing I did as both are on sale. So I grabbed them both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mbmbmbmb
DGenerateKane wrote:
Decided to wait until MM had their BF sale, good thing I did as both are on sale. So I grabbed them both.

I was just coming to the thread to let you know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad B
United States
Van Buren
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Deus Ex
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you picked it up. It is one of my favorite games. I still play on iOS quite a bit; I just wish they had all the expansions on iOS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DGenerateKane
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Delthos wrote:
DGenerateKane wrote:

I was just coming to the thread to let you know!

Thanks for the thought, I appreciate it.

WhiteBoy wrote:
I'm glad you picked it up. It is one of my favorite games. I still play on iOS quite a bit; I just wish they had all the expansions on iOS.

Hopefully I'll like it. I've yet to play a Deck Builder that I haven't liked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vita Est Certamine
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Kilroy was here
mbmbmbmbmb
Older thread, but I still carry the torch for Nightfall. I love(d) deckbuilders. When I got into board gaming these were a staple. Ascension. Dominion. Star Realms. Etc. If it was made I had it. And likely sold it. After a while deck builders just didn't do it for me. Very samey.

Out of ALL the builders I owned, I only kept four. Star Realms. Love this small game. Easy to to teach and fun to play. Cthulhu Realms. Essentially Star Realms rethemed with Cthulhu, but the rules and cards require a bit deeper strategy. I actually prefer Cthulhu Realms to Star Realms, but it's deeper. The third is Thunderstone Advance. Had this a long time. Fantastic deck builder that differs from the usual solitaire quagmire that most DBs devolve to.

And lastly, Nightfall. Great googly moogly, this is the meatiest, most interactive, strategic, and satisfying of all deck builders out there. Glorious artwork, rich and deep strategies, and customizeable game to game. I own every expansion and promo card for this. It's one of my favorites of all games. We still play it every few months and it never gets old. And this game has become a Halloween tradition for the gamers around me. "Glen's Halloween Nightfall Game Night" has been going for a few years. Always a lot of fun.

I will say the base game is still available cheap (I see it on the shelf at my FLGS). And worth it. But each expansion adds considerably to the game. Sadly, Eastern Skies is the culmination of what makes Nightfall great. Partly because the designer knew this was likely the last expansion and put the rest of his best ideas all into this one. Sadder still is this expansion was very short-printed.

Nevertheless, the base game alone is still a better deck builder than any other deck builders I have played. Add a few of the available expansions and you're good to go. Tons of replay.

As a fan of deck builders you shoudl at least try the base game. it's quite a departure from your typical DBs in that it's very interactive and backstabby. You're trying to kill your opponents. Not collect trinkets and baubles to see who has the most at the end, No - you're out for blood!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hodsdon
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've inspired me to retry Nightfall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vita Est Certamine
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Kilroy was here
mbmbmbmbmb
NoSoup4you wrote:
You've inspired me to retry Nightfall.

WooHoo! Ya won't regret it. Wish I was there to play it with ya.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.