GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

10,152 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: A Light Family Game for 7 or more Players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
We have been asked to bring a game to a family gathering. There won't be any children, but I don't want to bring anything that is too complex or relies too heavily on interpreting symbols. I don't think there is anything in my collection that I have missed that would work.

My first thought was Love Letter Premium, because I kind of wanted it before I was asked to do this. My next thought was Between Two Cities, but I am afraid I will be coaching people half the time. Also, possibly Mysterium.

I've never played Between Two Cities or Mysterium, so I'm not sure how well they will work. Both are games I have considering trying in the past.

Splitting the group won't work since it'll be a family gathering and everyone wants to play a game together.

If you have any suggestions, whether it's something I have already or not, I would appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unnamed Object goes up to 8 players and is fantastic push your luck fun in 30 minutes

Wits & Wagers is a great party trivia game where it doesn't matter if you know the answers. You just bet on whichever answer you think is closest, and if you're right, it pays out at 2:1 or 3:1 or 4:1 etc. The further the answer is from the mean, the more it pays (all players write their guess on a mini whiteboard, and these are put in order from least to greatest).

Oh Hell! is a fun bidding trick taking game for up to 7 players with a normal deck of 52 cards.

Another fantastic party game is Codenames

Finally, if you want a car racing game for up to 10 players, Formula D

And PitchCar is a fun flicking race game that goes up to 8 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
I would recommend any of the following: Incan gold, concept, Brick party, 6 nimmt, wink, codenames, saboteur. All are pretty light, but in my opinion 7 or more players calls for lightness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petter
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's alot of 10s in your collection man!

But i did not find what i would recommend, Dixit Odyssey which is great for up to 12 players. Pretty light but easy, fun and plays fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it were me...

Codenames
Camel Up
Dixit Odyssey

Would be my choice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Pberg wrote:
That's alot of 10s in your collection man!

But i did not find what i would recommend, Dixit Odyssey which is great for up to 12 players. Pretty light but easy, fun and plays fast.

I know, I'm pretty generous. I have my own system of rating. I give the game a 10 until I feel that I can objectively rate it lower. A lot of work goes into these games and I feel bad if I rate a game poorly based on a gut feeling from 1 or 2 plays.

Thanks for the recommendations. My girlfriend will all but punch a hole in the wall if someone mentions a party game. If the game looks like it could possibly have sat on a shelf next to a party game she won't play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Nicastro
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mysterium would work really well if you are up to be the ghost, since for what i've played it i noticed that how nice the game is depends a lot on how fast and creative the ghost is (having some experience in boardgames helps A LOT).

dixit odyssey could work perfectly as well, the concept itself is similar to mysterium i would say, but i find it nice (and now i will sound like a terrible person) only if i play with people with interests and education similar to mine, since it depends entirely on what you see in those images and which references you can make.

Bang! is a game really fast to learn which works really well for a lot of people (i played it before even with 12+ people, but you need at least one expansion to have enough roles)

citadels and 7wonders are other 2 games which work perfectly with 7 players, i think they need a bit more time to understand all the rules, but i would consider them family-friendly anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Codenames

Tsuro

Ca$h 'n Gun$

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandra Kuhl
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
If you want something light and fun, but for people who don't hate numbers, when I have my non-gaming friends over, we always play 6 nimmt!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Codenames

You might also consider Qwixx, though you may need the deluxe version to play the full 8 players. (It's pretty cheap at Target. We just got it for $10.) Fun little dice chucker. Really simple rules. Probably isn't good for a "main course" game, but we get a lot of enjoyment from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacic wrote:
You might also consider Qwixx, though you may need the deluxe version to play the full 8 players. (It's pretty cheap at Target. We just got it for $10.) Fun little dice chucker. Really simple rules. Probably isn't good for a "main course" game, but we get a lot of enjoyment from it.

It's one of my favourite filler games while waiting for other players to arrive on game night, along with Qwinto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess The Resistance and Deception: Murder in Hong Kong aren't "light"... and they probably qualify as "party games".... I don't know why 7 Wonders wouldn't work for you, since you rate it so highly and it is very light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If 7 Wonders is your jam, Sushi Go Party! is a great 7-wonders-lite that plays 8 players.

Second the Dixit recommendation -- it's not a party game at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels, Saboteur, Spyfall, Fearsome Floors, or Formula D could work. My personal favorite with 7 is Cosmic Encounter, but that may prove difficult on rules and the required expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bigwood
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another +1 for Codenames

If you're really worried about complexity, though, you might need to move to something even simpler. My extended family loves Telestrations. It's super easy to explain, there's no downtime, and it's very funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Odinsfury wrote:
We have been asked to bring a game to a family gathering. There won't be any children, but I don't want to bring anything that is too complex or relies too heavily on interpreting symbols. I don't think there is anything in my collection that I have missed that would work.

My first thought was Love Letter Premium, because I kind of wanted it before I was asked to do this. My next thought was Between Two Cities, but I am afraid I will be coaching people half the time. Also, possibly Mysterium.

I've never played Between Two Cities or Mysterium, so I'm not sure how well they will work. Both are games I have considering trying in the past.

Splitting the group won't work since it'll be a family gathering and everyone wants to play a game together.

If you have any suggestions, whether it's something I have already or not, I would appreciate it.

Others have already mentioned, and I highly recommend:

The Resistance
Codenames
Saboteur
Mysterium

I would also add Bohnanza.

While none of them are particularly deep,I find Mysterium and Codenames to be the most interesting from a thinking/discussion perspective.. and would say you'd get more play out of them. (Mysterium is a bit more complex to setup, but is definitely worth it.)

Resistance and Saboteur are quick fun games, with simple rulesets and both involve bluffing / lying, which I'm fine with, but others might not be. They're good for a couple of plays at a time.

Bohnanza is the most like a typical card game, but its fun and does have a lot of interaction from the trading/market mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Since you said no party games,

Mysterium
Bohnanza
Camel Up
Sushi Go Party!
Formula D
6 nimmt!
Unnamed Object
Sticheln
Tsuro
Timeline: Inventions
Pickomino
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you everyone, this has definitely given me a lot to think about. Also, thanks for reminding me that Bohnanza can play 7. I might be able to pull it off. I'm going to read up on the rulebooks and see which one will be the easiest to teach and the most fun for everyone involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.