Subject: Initial Hand Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roland M
Philippines
Makati City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing ASHES for some time now, and I was thinking on carrying over their "Initial Hand" mechanics.

So basically you will have to pick your first 5 cards, but no duplicates of the same named card. Thematically this shows your investigator being prepared.

What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
michaerum wrote:
I've been playing ASHES for some time now, and I was thinking on carrying over their "Initial Hand" mechanics.

So basically you will have to pick your first 5 cards, but no duplicates of the same named card. Thematically this shows your investigator being prepared.

What do you guys think?

Try it and let us know how it works out? Personally, I like the uncertainty of the first hand - it fits the theme for me, but if it works for you, go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would also like to know how this works out. Personally I like the random draw of the starting hand, I don't think the Investigators would be particularly prepared, it adds to the sense that they are being hounded either by their own daemons or by the threats they are facing - they're imperfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
nice idea! But im already using my own variant of having 2 copies of specific character assets( roland .38, wendy amulet , etc) so it would be too op

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Ra
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Interesting
badge
Dance Dance Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally i would think it goes against theme. Even just how the first scenario starts. Your at home and
Spoiler (click to reveal)
suddenly the door disappears

all you have is whats in your pockets be it a bit of string, a dog you were petting or that pistol strapped to your hip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
No reason not to try it out and see how it plays. Though I would think this makes characters who are more combo dependent like Agnes pretty darn powerful and it would make characters who are good at drawing and tutoring less interesting like Daisy.

Also do note that this game has a very forgiving mulligan system in that you set the first hand aside then draw a second hand of cards. Only after than do you shuffle this first hand back into the deck. Also weaknesses are set aside and a replacement is drawn for each weakness drawn. That means you actually have very good odds of drawing that one card you want in your opening hand if you included 2x of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.